Seriously different JRX-Pro

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Seriously different JRX-Pro

Post by scr8p »

HG made some aluminum spring clamps and retainers.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I have those, not really digging them- and I am trying to stay period correct as well on things like springs etc-

And as far as the ball cups- I can't go the route of the Jcon and Losi natural because they are too late, and I have AE whites- but that seems kinda silly on a Losi and the Losi ball cup was way better anyway. But I was thinking that the 870 era white ends were period correct and a race worthy mod due to the captured end-

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i think you missed the whole HG reference. is it too late, are you tired? :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

:lol: yup- blew right past me like that piece of art quote that I PM'ed you and was sooooo proud of, that I asked you about and you said, ya- I read a little :x

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey it was late, i was too tired. :P

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

scr8p wrote:hey it was late, i was too tired. :P
It's still in your PM box- and stop hyjacking my thread with your silliness Halgar :lol: I am going to have to do more work because the pics are so far back now :x

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

I think that the Losi charcoal grey plastic of the wide spring clamps are a classic Losi feature.

Aluminum is great for these, i.e. the HG product, but that was bling even before people started blinging every inch of their short-course trucks.

And using Associated parts on a Losi? Isn't that like the most natural, period-correct thing in the world? I remember squeezing those white Associated spring clamps onto my JRX2 back in the day because the skinny black ones kept breaking and I didn't even know that they released wider replacements because my LHS carried Associated and Tamiya. I always remember Losi distribution being poor relative to Associated in the JRX2 era, at least in western NY.

Besides, as cool as I think that the JRX* series is, there would never have been a JRX2 without the RC10 first. The Losi guys got started making aftermarket parts for Associated and other brands. I guess I just feel that if you are interested in having a period-build (and the above comments make it sound like you are), and if early RC10 aftermarket or even Associated parts fit the bill, go with it.

I reserve the right to retract the above statements, however, following my inevitable return to sobriety.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

better get wrenchin' then. don't forget, robinson rear toe adjuster. :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

shirochanwrx wrote:I think that the Losi charcoal grey plastic of the wide spring clamps are a classic Losi feature.

Aluminum is great for these, i.e. the HG product, but that was bling even before people started blinging every inch of their short-course trucks.

And using Associated parts on a Losi? Isn't that like the most natural, period-correct thing in the world? I remember squeezing those white Associated spring clamps onto my JRX2 back in the day because the skinny black ones kept breaking and I didn't even know that they released wider replacements because my LHS carried Associated and Tamiya. I always remember Losi distribution being poor relative to Associated in the JRX2 era, at least in western NY.

Besides, as cool as I think that the JRX* series is, there would never have been a JRX2 without the RC10 first. The Losi guys got started making aftermarket parts for Associated and other brands. I guess I just feel that if you are interested in having a period-build (and the above comments make it sound like you are), and if early RC10 aftermarket or even Associated parts fit the bill, go with it.

I reserve the right to retract the above statements, however, following my inevitable return to sobriety.
Well, your SOL now that I have you on record with quote 8)

I thought about the AE clamps, but the thick Losi are ok too and I really do think that the Losi cups were ( and still are ) a better ball cup-

Speaking of better and Losi- here is an odd question-

The Losi's were responsible for a huge number of still today concepts and trends in the RC racing
world- I understand that AE was the "godfather" Losi was the guy that whacked you- There is a ton that I love about AE, but you know the JRX is a better and more integrated design, clean and easy to build and I can't help but wonder why they don't have the kind of following?

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

I totally agree.

When I was looking to replace my throughly trashed Ultima BITD, it was between a JRX2 and whatever the comparable graphite RC10 model was in 1989-90. Every penny counted, and I already had the Novak T4 and a Speedworks Tony Neisinger, so having an MSC in the kit was not an issue. I agonized over the decision, and ultimately felt that the JRX2 was a fresh look on the ideas that Associated first conceptualized in the RC10, and that even the most up-to-the-minute RC10 was still suffering from design elements that were sound, but no longer contemporary. There were things that I would want to replace immediciately with the RC10, but the only thing that the JRX2 needed to be perfect (in my opinion at the time) was a full-width front bumper and a ball-bearing bellcrank. When I finally got to work building the JRX2, I was shocked at how elegant and well-conceived the design was. Sure, in retrospect the 5-link rear suspension and the throw-away cartridges were a little extreme, but if you were re-building your shocks every couple of weeks and running on a bumpy, loose track, those were not oversights, they were just a different and effective vision.

I'm just saying that a lot of people who ran Losi's, myself included, chose them for very practical purposes, and that same mentality was reflected in people choosing non-Losi parts for some applications ... such as the shock collars. And that mindset was top-down ... factory drivers switched to a more conventional A-arm rear set-up as soon as it became evident that it was a better set-up for more kinds of tracks.

This build is going to be frickin's awesome ... even if you decide to put non-Losi shock collars on it. Personally, other than those dish rims, I don't think that you need any white parts at all. That's the RC10 hegemony getting inside your head(!).

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

mrlexan wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Give me that chassis before the garbage men come to pick it up.

I thought about it for a couple of hours and decided that I might not me able beat that wicked
JRX-2. But...............there might be a few things about it that I can out do on it-

VLT's? Check- TQ76's Pffffft- how about Prototype Proline front spikes?
aa11 038.jpg

But then, regrettably- I went to the trash can by the road to retrieve it and give you the chassis anyway but it was not there anymore.

So I though that I could give you another chassis instead-
aa11 039.jpg
But I don't imagine that you would want any of these type- :lol:

shirochanwrx
Approved Member

Post by shirochanwrx »

Charlie don't surf wrote:

I thought about it for a couple of hours and decided that I might not me able beat that wicked
JRX-2. But...............there might be a few things about it that I can out do on it-

VLT's? Check- TQ76's Pffffft- how about Prototype Proline front spikes?
Daaaaaaaaamn.

I'm outta here before someone gets shivved.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Charlie don't surf wrote: how about Prototype Proline front spikes?
aa11 038.jpg
:wink: :wink:

Those look awesome!
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Closer to being finished- I "lost" the upper RCPS link and the Yokomo ends that go on it :x
aa11 044.jpg
aa11 045.jpg
aa11 046.jpg
Hopefully the next pics will have a body and full electronics- and maybe even that turnbuckle :? :lol:

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

that looks great you just need a body
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714