Radio range help...

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

g13092
Approved Member

Radio range help...

Post by g13092 »

Guys, the radio set that came with my latest toy leaves something to be desired. The range sucks, 20 to 30 ft. Its a Futaba Mag JR pistol w/ steering rate cntl and R2H micro receiver. Swapped transmitters w/ my stick radio, using the pistol xtal, no improvement. Swapped both xtals so the pistol and micro rec use those from my stick radio, no improvement. Checked continuity of the antenna from tip to pc board, it's good. The pistol seems fine, the receiver seems to be the problem. Anyone know of a source for tuning and tweaking old receivers?

If not, anyone got a futaba AM 75mhz receiver laying around they want to find a home? It doesn't have to be a micro receiver, I'd just like a roughly period piece.
Mark D.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

hey mark I have a short range problem with my magnum sport, it goes more than 30 feet but not as far as my hitec does. I wonder if it is the micro plus the old futaba remote. You never mentioned if it was an old or new remote.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

How long is the Rx antenna? If it was ever cut shorter, your range will be drastically reduced if not ruined.

Also, rechargeable NiCd or NiMh transmitter batteries are not 1.5 volts like a alkaline battery (1.5v). Really old AM/FM radios didn't like to run on less than 11-12v, and a NiCd 8-cell pack will only push out 9.6v (rated). We always found better range with higher voltage packs. That could be part of the problem, but my guess it's receiver antenna length.

These old electronics aren't all that good for running anymore. They are 15-30 years old, and not that they were even that good to begin with, if you are running cars now, you would be better served with even really low-end contemporary radio gear than old high end stuff. AM crystals, old electronic connections and wires, who knows how long receiver antennas... you're never going to get much reception with radio gear like that.

Just my 2¢.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

That is very true. I have two controllers, one is the Traxxas am with 27mhz, the other is a hitec 75 am mhz, both of these have a long range. My Futaba is mine orig. from back in the day it does not have a cut antenna and it is a 75 mhz am but yet it goes less than half the distance. I don't get it. Maybe your right its old outdated stuff. Oh well its in my 10T that is going on a shelf now.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

do you have capacitors on your motor? when I got back into the sport and put an rc10 back together I forgot all about capacitors and my range really sucked. after about 20 feet it would get very glitchy, and then run out of range totally at about 40 feet.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

PBR Allstar wrote:do you have capacitors on your motor? when I got back into the sport and put an rc10 back together I forgot all about capacitors and my range really sucked. after about 20 feet it would get very glitchy, and then run out of range totally at about 40 feet.
nope. I just got back from hobby shop they said the same thing. I need to get some at radio shack. Thanks

g13092
Approved Member

Post by g13092 »

Antenna is 33". There's a piece of heatshrink a few inches out of the box. It may have been nicked, but I don't think there's a splice under there. The motor has caps, but I ruled that out by testing with the motor disconnected, using the steering as an indicator.

Just found out a friend has a lynx3D and some novak receivers around, so I might just jump to those...

Thanks for the input!
Mark D.