Track set-up

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MattyCJ7

Track set-up

Post by MattyCJ7 »

So I took my OIN RC10 graphite team car to the track to see how it would fair and Wow! First off, it was way harder than I remember keeping it where i wanted it to go, second I beat the living s&%t out of it. I though maybe we could use this post for guys who take there vintage cars to the track and give a desciption of the track and what tires/gears/suspension set-up,etc.. works. The track I went to was an indoor dirt short track with some good sized double and triple jumps (rcexitement in fitchburg Ma.) The surface is very hard almost like concrete with some loose dirt thrown on top. I was geared 73/32 with a 3900kva Reeady motor and a 5000mah LiPo. I couldnt use half the power I had so I'm thinking some lower gears would work better. What do you guys run for gears on short dirt tracks? I had some soft compound dirt oval tires that seems O.K. but I think I need something with a bit more bite. I'll be upgrading to 2.2 rims soon and I was told barcodes in blue are the best there. I also noticed I was bottoming out pretty regularly if I didn't hit the jumps just right, what springs are you guys running on your cars that see some air time? Here is a pick after an hour on the track. The antenna tube broke off, the bumper bent in, and the wing wouldn't stay in at all, and I popped one ball cup and one axle....but I'm hooked!
Attachments
dirty.JPG

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Track set-up

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

MattyCJ7 wrote:The surface is very hard almost like concrete with some loose dirt thrown on top. I was geared 73/32 with a 3900kva Reeady motor and a 5000mah LiPo. I couldnt use half the power I had so I'm thinking some lower gears would work better.
Sounds fun. :mrgreen: Depending on where your power is you may actually want to gear up. It may help you maneuver the shorter areas in the track due to the lower torque. Just watch your motor temp. A higher gear ratio can be tough on the motor depending on the track set-up. Pics of the track would help if you happen to have any. I wish I'd hit the track today myself. I have an itchy trigger finger. :D
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

MattyCJ7

Post by MattyCJ7 »

http://www.rcexcitement.com/tracks.html#

apparently the change the track very frequently. I looked on youtube and every video had the track in a different config. I dont know how they get the surface so hard, it's literally like concrete.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Matty- there are a couple members here who run at RCE. Hopefully one of them will chime in and give you some input on setup/gearing. Good luck to you and nice to see someone else who likes to run their RC10!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MattyCJ7

Post by MattyCJ7 »

Thanks. I can't wait to try the outdoor track when the weather gets better...restart learning curve!