First time on a track

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mk-Zero
Business Member

First time on a track

Post by mk-Zero »

After being into rc cars off and on my whole life, I finally drove on a off road track for the first time last night (I used to drive my ntc3 on an on road track occasionally about 10 years ago in Houston)! I went to The Yard here in Orange, about a mile from my house. Its an outdoor clay track that seems to be pretty well maintained. I crashed, a lot, lol. But as the evening went on I got better and better and had a blast. I think I'm hooked! There were only a couple other guys running off and on, so I had the track to myself a lot, which was nice. Both other guys had 4wd buggies, one electric and one nitro. Everyone was super chill.
Around the time I was ready to be done for the evening I destroyed my servo. Lol. I already ordered an all metal gear replacement and some steering rack bearings to tighten things up in the steering. I'm going to do upgrades on my car as I break things and as I get faster. I need to talk to the locals and see what tires they recommend too.
I'll probably be heading back there next weekend, can't wait! I'll take pics next time 8)

mk-Zero
Business Member

Re: First time on a track

Post by mk-Zero »

Here's a pic I found on the web, I think this is the current layout. The owner says they change it every few months or so.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Track looks killer! 8) Don't worry, it'll come back to you. Driving R/C cars is just like riding a unicycle...
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

What I wouldnt give to have a track like that nearby. get out there are rip it up!!!

What are your driving your VW??
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

Ditto! Nothing even close to me. I should go and find some land in a park nearby and build something. See how long it lasts til the city gets pissed and dozes it.

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

slapshot1979 wrote: What are your driving your VW??
Not sure I understand your question?

Yeah, I guess I'm pretty lucky. There's another rc track I haven't been to that I think is a mile or two from my house, its an indoor track. Maybe I'll check that one out some time soon too. The Yard is 10 bux to run, I think the indoor track is 15.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Sorry a failed attempt at humour..... What kind of r/c are you running on the track?
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Running my rc10 b4.2 rs. Not the bug, lol. Other than me sucking at driving, the car handles and jumps awesome, and is pretty fast on the straights. Seems pretty durable too, I had bunch of really harsh crashes and the only thing I managed to break was the cheap servo that came with it. Good excuse for an upgrade ;-) I ordered the full metal gear AE servo, which has bearings too, and steering rack bearings. Should make the steering way more precise.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Brian, shoot me a message before you go out again, I'll see if I can meet up with ya (if it isnt during the week). I haven't been to the Yard, but I have been to LRH. I'm just off Imperial & the 91, down the street from ya. At the yard, I bet Proline Calibers or bigger pin rear tire with standard rib front tires will be fine. At LRH, you will need some clay tires, Ion's, Suburbs, Barcodes and such. I ran clay Ion's on my re-re- RC10 at LRH and it was great.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

JK Racing wrote:Brian, shoot me a message before you go out again, I'll see if I can meet up with ya (if it isnt during the week). I haven't been to the Yard, but I have been to LRH. I'm just off Imperial & the 91, down the street from ya. At the yard, I bet Proline Calibers or bigger pin rear tire with standard rib front tires will be fine. At LRH, you will need some clay tires, Ion's, Suburbs, Barcodes and such. I ran clay Ion's on my re-re- RC10 at LRH and it was great.
Sounds good, I'll let you know. I'm thinking about Saturday, if that would work for you.

Yeah, LRH was the other track I was talking about. Its nice that I have at least two tracks within a mile or two of my house, should make it pretty easy for me to get more into the hobby.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Saturday afternoon maybe, I have the Little League commitment that is tying up most every saturday morning until the season starts (3 weeks), then saturdays will be all over..some morning games, afternoon games and evening games :(

OCRC is a bit of a drive, but a great indoor facility, Pegasus (Montclair) is my normal track hangout, love the outdoor dirt/clay combo, awesome traction as the sun goes down and the lights come on :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

I would probably want to go after 8pm or so, after my son goes to sleep. The Yard is only open from 5-11 pm, wednesday to sunday. Last night I was there from about 9 to 1030.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Track looks killer! 8) Don't worry, it'll come back to you. Driving R/C cars is just like riding a unicycle...
:lol: :P

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Addictive, isn't it? I have a 40x80 track carved out on my own property, but I still go to one of the local tracks nearly every weekend. Gets boring running by yourself. That, and my home track is not 1/10 2WD friendly, built more around 1/10 4WD SCT & 1/8 buggy/truggy.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote:Addictive, isn't it? I have a 40x80 track carved out on my own property, but I still go to one of the local tracks nearly every weekend. Gets boring running by yourself. That, and my home track is not 1/10 2WD friendly, built more around 1/10 4WD SCT & 1/8 buggy/truggy.
yeah, no doubt. Looking forward to getting better at driving, then upgrading my b4 to make it faster as I do. Might need to build an RC10 for the track too, my current one is going to be a shelf queen. Then I will probably need a 4wd car for the track too, lol. where will it end? :lol: