My first RC10 restoration

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Camshaft
Approved Member

Re: My first RC10 restoration

Post by Camshaft »

The wire that's currently on the reciever is all wrinkled, so I figured it needed to be replaced. I may have to look into a new reciever though, based on what you said. Thanks for the heads up!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

you could probably make a b4 trans fit in that chassis, but i personally wouldn't bother. you'd have to make a decent amount of modifications to do it, and is it really worth it? to me, no. but hey, it's your car, right? :)

a b4 motor plate will not mount right up to the stealth trans that came with the car. it would need to be altered. i don't know how close a b3 and b4 motor plates are, but i have put a b3 plate on a 2.25 stealth. but that had to be "made to fit", too.

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

Meh, I don't want to hack this thing up, I wanna do it right. I feel guilty about putting RC10T wheels on the back, for heaven's sakes. At least THAT's a reversible modification. Maybe the period police can overlook a few tiny things, but I don't want to do anything that requires permanent changes.

What should I replace when I'm rebuilding my tranny? I've still yet to find a rebuild kit, so with your guys' help I'll just hunt down all of the individual parts I need.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

RC Chick wrote:Id be careful on replacing the antena wire on the reciever. I did that to one of mine, well I had it done and it's just not quite right. The range is very short now. I left the wire really long and the range was like 100 ft. I cut a little at a time and eventualy got it to go further but its still glitchy. I don't use it anymore its now in my shelfer just for looks.(old futaba stuff)

My point is Id never do it again, Id just spend the money and buy a new one. Just my 2 cents though.

You can easily replace antennas on any receiver, however, all antennas are "tuned" to a very specific length. If you cut them or don't make the new one the EXACT same length, the radio will glitch and not work properly. If you know the exact length of the original, you can cut a new wire to length and resolder. If you don't know the proper length from the circuit board, you're better off using it as a static display and finding a new one to use if that's your plan. Frankly, the FM and DSM radio systems of today are far superior than any of the old radio pieces of old, so if you are planning on running the car, don't worry about period-correct radios.

doug

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

The antenna I bought is actually in a Futaba package, so is it possible that it's already the correct length?

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Camshaft wrote:The antenna I bought is actually in a Futaba package, so is it possible that it's already the correct length?
Quite possible. I do know the 27 band and 75 band antennas were different lengths and different colors. If you have the right band antenna for the receiver, you should be at the correct length.

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

Eau Rouge wrote:
Camshaft wrote:The antenna I bought is actually in a Futaba package, so is it possible that it's already the correct length?
Quite possible. I do know the 27 band and 75 band antennas were different lengths and different colors. If you have the right band antenna for the receiver, you should be at the correct length.
They're both white antennas, I believe my reciever is a 75 band unit. I'll have to look again this weekend though. Thanks for all of the good info guys.

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

I did the same thing, it was super long. I didn't have anything to go off of for length ans the old one had been eaten by my puppy a few years back. I was trying to be cheap and just fix it, like I said I'd never do it again. I don't have that static tool or anything to check it out but I would rather spend 45 bucks on a new controler with servo and reciever that have the car get a way from me and spend 40 bucks in parts. If you have the ability to check it out then do it if not the you night have the same problems with range and glitchyness. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

Would it be possible to apply heat and maybe straighten the antenna out? Alternatively, does anyone here have that same reciever and would be considering a trade?

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Camshaft wrote:Would it be possible to apply heat and maybe straighten the antenna out? Alternatively, does anyone here have that same reciever and would be considering a trade?
Let me check...I may have one laying around...75mHz Futaba AM?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

GAMMACRUSH
Approved Member

Post by GAMMACRUSH »

jaw dropping when i saw the new chassis and how white you got those parts to be. i like many things you have done but the one thing i liek the most is that GOLD ANODIZED SERVO HORN. that thing is beautiful. its kind like a reference back to the "gold" of the rc10 w/o being cheesy. i like thanks for sharing

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

Thanks GAMMACRUSH! The parts did clean up very nice but the over-eager flash on my mother's camera helps a bit too, I think! The gold servo arm was one of those things I had to have as soon as I saw it. Now I'm on the hunt for gold anodized aluminum lug nuts.

Camshaft
Approved Member

Post by Camshaft »

Part IV: Electronics
With the threat of finals week looming overhead, I didn’t get much done this past weekend as I would’ve liked, but I guess I’m keeping a fairly constant snail-esque pace. I wasn’t expecting any new parts this week, and I certainly didn’t buy any, but I did do something I’ve been wanting to since the start of this project: clean the radio up and make it look as new as possible. Using a Clorox wipe, I scrubbed down the surface of the radio. Where dirt was gathered, I scrubbed more vigorously until I created a bunch of froth suds. Then, I scrubbed the dirt away with a toothbrush. In addition to dirt, the “trigger guard” part of the transmitter had adhesive residue from a long-removed sticker. Using Goo Gone, I scrubbed all of this off, and then wiped with the Clorox wipe again. Unfortunately, the adhesive seems to have discolored the plastic slightly, but overall it looks a lot better than it did. Lastly, I removed the protective plastic from the metal nameplates. I repeated this same procedure with my receiver, and I used a hair dryer to heat up the antenna and straighten it out as best as I can. Over winter break, I hope to solder the new antenna on. I also plan on picking up a new battery clip for the transmitter, seeing as the one I currently have is slightly cracked and corroded.

I saw this on eBay, where does it go? I’d like to avoid putting the ESC back on the shock tower.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260193081815&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching