Monogram Lightning 2 into 1 - make that 2 into 2

The place for all things Nikko / Toy Grade.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bxlt
Approved Member

Monogram Lightning 2 into 1 - make that 2 into 2

Post by bxlt »

So my very first car was a Monogram Lightning way back in Christmas of 1985. So ever since I got back into RC I was hoping to find one and with some luck I found 2 beaters but one was red just like the one I had so I purchased both with the idea of making on out of the two. Well long story short I found one NIB posted a picture and a member on the forum gomachv sent me a ton of parts (Thanks Jeff) so got all the parts and was looking at the cars and figured I could make one a "Modern" runner.

Here is the one in box. Its not mint its missing wheels, tires and remote but to me is about as good as I could have expected.

Here are the two "Parts Cars" and the extra parts. The gray car was the worse of the two and figured it would only be used for parts.

Old electronics stripped, and parts cleaned up. I had hoped to put full ball bearings in the gear box as the front wheels fit the Tamiya 5x11 bearings but the rear axle is bigger than the front.

To clear the larger steering servo some cuts need to be made so marked an area to cut

Cut made in the top and cut out all the unneeded mounting posts for the old circuit board and servos.

Steering servo mounted.

Top plate test fitted and ready to be cleaned up.

Setting the location for the rest of the electronics

Everything mounted and coming together nicely

Everything back together and ready for the body. I used an old ESC I had from another car and because the pinion gear was pressed on I had to use the stock motor, was hoping to upgrade the motor but figured for what I was going to do with this car (take for a test drive, sit on self to most likely never run again) the stock motor was fine.

I remember this car as a kid and thought how fast it was, its not, even with a modern ESC and the steering with the more powerful servo is better, but its still sloppy based on the design. But again this wasn't about making a race car it was taking junk and making a runner out of it, and it was fun to drive it again.

Next will be to get the red one to work but am having issues getting a radio to work with it.

GoMachV

Re: Monogram Lightning 2 into 1 - make that 2 into 2

Post by GoMachV »

Very cool! Isn't it amazing how fast we thought our cars were when we were young?!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Hcp22
Approved Member

Re: Monogram Lightning 2 into 1 - make that 2 into 2

Post by Hcp22 »

They were always lightning fast. 8)
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback