Tire recommendations for general dirt trail and track?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Tire recommendations for general dirt trail and track?

Post by sbsyncro »

Just ordered the Castle Sidewinder SCT combo for the T4 now that I've convinced myself that I love the way it runs and handles (it just doesn't WALLOW the way the Slash 2wd does!). ITs currently running a set of knobby rears and channel fronts, neither of which appear to have foam inserts (they came on the chassis when I got it).

Wondering about people's recommendations for front and rear wheels for the T4 for general dirt use (trail and track).

Also, should I stick with the standard setup, or use some adapter nuts that will allow for using the 12mm hex wheels and tires for Traxxas vehicles? (does that work for rear only, or both front and rear, since the fronts have captive bearings in the wheels…?)

Thanks

Brent
RC10T4.1 Castle Sidewinder SCT & 3800kv 1410
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Rustler VXL - more RPM & Aluminum than stock parts
Stampede 2WD XL5
XTM X-celerator (project)

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Re: Tire recommendations for general dirt trail and track?

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

The rims design is really good and there is really no need to go to a hex. The best tire for you I think would be the proline dirt hawgs. If you are doing mainly track, whatever local guys suggest will be the best tire.
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Post by sbsyncro »

Typicray@rainmans wrote:The rims design is really good and there is really no need to go to a hex. The best tire for you I think would be the proline dirt hawgs.
Thanks - I've got some of those on a 18T (at least the tread pattern looks the same) and they seem great.

We have a track with pretty loose dirt here (and most of our trail running is in loose dry dirt). I'm curious whether a ribbed pattern up front is better than an aggressive pattern like the dirt hawgs? My Rustler came stock with ribbed fronts and step-pin rears and seems to do reasonably well, but I'm about to try it with a set of Badlands SC tires; it will be interesting to see the difference in handling (since I pretty much can't even make it once around the track without crashing yet)… :lol:
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Stampede 2WD XL5

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Dirt hawgs are a great all rounded bash tire but not the best for track work. For a more race oriented tire look into the calibers, they seem to have a good lifespan compared to mini pins.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

I agree with rc10th, the best part about the caliber is that when the top pin wears out, they work really well on blue groove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

sbsyncro
Approved Member

Post by sbsyncro »

Hey guys,

So I've been poring over various web sites and scouring ebay for all the different wheels for the RC10T4…

Are the best ones to go with the original style dish wheels? (9588 front and 9589 rear) I haven't been able to find anything about wheel offset, but I do notice that Associated offers very similar looking wheels that have different part numbers (6805 rear and…?)

Or for a few bucks more, RPM makes the "Revolver" that is supposed to be sized for the RC10T4.

Any suggestions? I'll probably be mounting either a set of calibers or maybe some gladiators
RC18T bone stock
Slash 2WD (brushed)
Stampede 2WD XL5