T2 Resto/mod Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

killswitch

T2 Resto/mod Project

Post by killswitch »

The T2 has always been one of my favorite Associated trucks, probably because it was the first team kit I ever bought myself. It was also my first real foray in racing stadium trucks. Before that I had been a strictly "buggy guy" as it was the best class at the local track. Once I raced STs, I was hooked until I became a touring car/12th scale/Paragon addict and my original truck got shelved. Long story short, I lost it along with my entire vintage collection in an out building fire and I've been slowly trying to replace key pieces of my collection. I picked this truck up in a trade for a Flysky GT3B and 35t crawler motor with a local guy. He acquired it in a collection he recently purchased. Everything about the truck said it was originally a #7036 kit, except for the mismatched gold shocks. I wish I had taken some good pics of it before I started tear down/clean-up, but the wife had the camera and I couldn't wait :lol:

At first I was just going to do a box stock restoration on it, but the more I looked at it the more I wanted it to be as close to my race ride as I could get it, with a few "updates". Luckily I had a shelf queen tub GT chassis that was loaded with hop ups sitting collecting dust. As much as I hated to rob Peter to pay Paul, I tore the GT apart and harvested the entire front end, rear arms, rear hubs, CVDs and transmission internals. Hop ups include HG rear hubs and lower shock mounts, Lunsford turnbuckles, hinge pins and ball studs, graphite front tower, RRP/MIP trans goodies, and a splash of T4 front end parts.

killswitch

Re: T2 Resto/mod Project

Post by killswitch »

Finally got a few hours to work on this and it's now a roller. Polished all of the edges and cleaned the tub up as best I could. Please pay no mind to the wheels/tires as they were the only thing I had laying around that would fit. Picked up a NIB graphite rear tower on Ebay over the weekend ($7.75 shipped) and I'm waiting for it to show up. Also waiting on new battery foams, rear body mounts and a new spur to come in from Stormer. I think I'm going to do the Pavidis rear tower mod when the graphite tower shows up. I always wanted to as a kid, but never did.

Any ideas on how to remove this rust stain on the gear cover? I've tried wiping it away and gently cleaning it, but it barely touched it... Not sure if something like CLR would damage the material or not.

shoman24v
Approved Member

Re: T2 Resto/mod Project

Post by shoman24v »

Just get a new gear cover.
| XXT | XXT 'CR' Graphite Plus | RC10T | RC10T2 | RC10 World's Re-release | HPI Blitz ESE | Schumacher SV2 |