Resto Mod LXT

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Benjammin

Resto Mod LXT

Post by Benjammin »

Hey fella's, thought I'd share my already in progress build of my vintage LXT. I will be needing some help/advice as things progresses to the set up portion.

Bit of a back story,

I've been into RC's since the mid 90's. I started with a $10 Nikko yard sale buggy that was actually very good fun once I dropped a hobby grade stick pack in it. After that followed some Kyosho stuff which I have a affinity for, and will show in upcoming threads. The real kicker was one night when my dad came home with a enormous cardboard box... I'm talking the size a refrigerator would fit in that was cut in half. In it were all manner of RC vehicles. Stadium trucks, buggies, pan cars, chargers, batteries, spares galore! What I know remains from that lot is a JRXT, LXT, Junior Two, BoLink pan car, wheels and spares, and some vintage bodies in various states of ready. Recently he told me he bought the lot for $300 which was I think a good deal even then considering their above average condition. We would run these at our local track Mushroom Bowl Speedway in Kennett Square PA. Lots of fond memories!

Anyway RC's in general took a back seat as the teenage years progressed. Now that I'm adulting and have a place to tinker "home of my own", the nostalgia bug bit me and I'm in the process of restoring several of my childhood classics. Some may be built with all period item's, esc's, brushed motors, radio's. Some will get the full Resto Mod treatment, "brushless, Lipo, 2.4ghz, modern rubber". All must be functional and will be runners "parts availability be damned!"

On to the LXT....

I recall not so wisely deciding to mount some home brewed pin spiked tires for a beach outing as a whippersnapper, and have a sinking memory of loosing control of the LXT followed by large waves crashing over it... That being said the only real culprit during initial inspection seems to be the hardware as much of it was corroded. I've also ran into some bearings that were frozen onto the races, steering posts being one, front hubs being another.. Before I resort to a hammer lol kidding! I will do my best to unstick them via lubricants or dremmel trickery.

I like taking time with builds in order to find "deals" on parts, and the finished product I hope will reflect that. As I stated earlier this is already a build in progress so ill jump in with pictures tomorrow to show.

The truck initially was equipped with the XX 2.61 transmission, some rpm hub's, and lunsford "I think" adjustable rod's. These will be retained where no damage is found. It also has a hydradrive that I plan on rebuilding if it will cope with the modern brushless equipment.

Power-

Sensored Trinity D3.5 Maxzilla motor 17.5 turn
ESC-Hobbywing XR10 Juststock "can run blinky"
Futaba R203Gf Reciever
Futaba 3004 Servo
4000ish mah 2S LIPO "yet to be sourced"

Grip-

Modern Panther 2.2 Komodo Dragon "rear", Stock Losi ribbed fronts

Repair/Replace-

Big list to follow.... thanks sabula tech for all the goodies!

My end goal for this particular truck is to keep it legalish for spec classes should the itch ever come to run a vintage race. Most likely I'll chase deer with it in my back yard. Pesky deer...

Benjammin

Re: Resto Mod LXT

Post by Benjammin »

Testing to see if this works uploading...
Attachments
20180731_171141-800x450.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

Success! As you can see the dawn bath scrub brush treatment worked wonders. Much tedious/Fun stuff remains.. rebuild transmission, diff, hydradrive, install electronics and rip wheelies!
20180731_171203-800x450.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

I used to dislike these trucks as a kid because the adjustability was far beyond my scope of knowledge. Now I'm looking forward to chasing a great set up.
20180731_172023-800x450.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

Picked up this gem for a song $35 NIB.. apparently they were de approved from ROAR for their windings being too thick.. the seller also had two sets of rear 2.2 tires which he bundled for an additional $30.
Attachments
20180731_171227-600x1067.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

The rear shock tower took much fiddling as I had to dremmel off the head of one of the counter sunk screws which was stripped. I plan on cleaning up the look of the Hodge-podge body mount that was necessary to fit aftermarket bodies.
Attachments
20180731_171940-800x450.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

I must have sprayed this body just be for losing interest back in the day because it's never been on its lid. Wacky colors but... I like it! I'll probably snag a TGB factory body to use while displaying.
Attachments
20180731_172122-800x450.jpg

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

That's all for now fellas. If you have any suggestions or insight on these trucks I'd appreciate it. I'll keep the updates flowing as the parts arrive! Im having a blast stripping this thing down and rebuilding it like the 6 million dollar man.. better faster stronger!
Attachments
20180731_172823-800x450.jpg

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

Looks like it will be a great runner. Like to see a model for dirt collecting and not just another dust collector. :)
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

Some progress, shes a roller! Transmission rebuilt utilizing a new case as the old one was over tightened at some point and cracked the mounting holes. Still useable though, and I've learned me lesson regarding NOT throwing away serviceable parts... the diff was fiddly but pretty strait forward and now spins very nicely.

Question for those in the know why no grease on the three transmission gears? I couldn't find any reference to this in the manual and the old housing was bone dry. Does the plastic/metal gear teeth combo not require lubrication?

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

Tonight's project rebuild hydradrive and mock up this bad boy.
Attachments
20180802_171438-768x1365.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Looks like someone's getting excited...happy Friday, everyone!

Capture.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

LOL! I had not noticed Mr. O.C.D. happy face. He is no more. Last night I mounted up the ESC, and soldered everything neatly-ish into place. Unfortunately the Speed Control was jussst to0 chubby to fit in the channels paralleling the battery tray. Which would have been great keeping COG low, so up it went high on the nicely made sabula mount.

Side note for running wires cleanly. I borrowed a trick from mountain biking inter-looping two wire-ties one one the left rear suspension brace and the other fed through that then around the three motor wires and sensor wire. This allows for height adjustment while not pinching anything at odd angles.

Benjammin

Post by Benjammin »

How things sit at the moment mocked up. Hydradrive could use new seals as they were pancaked pretty bad so I'll hold off until I come across a rebuild kit in my price range. If anyone has suggestions for mounting the capacitor cleanly I'm all ears.
20180809_073103-800x450.jpg
20180809_073122-800x450-800x450.jpg
20180809_073039-800x450-800x450.jpg