Powder Coating

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Powder Coating

Post by TM Ru22311 »

Hi guys, I am sure this HAS to have been discussed before, but I was thinking of restoring a gold pan using powder paint.
Anyway, I got a quote from a local shop and they wanted $60 (plus cost of paints). That seems a little high to me.
Could anyone give me some insight on this? For that price, I would rather buy the equipment to do it myself. I even have an electric oven that I could use just for that.
I started out just sanding the scratches from the bottom, but now I am thinking I just need to have the entire thing bead blasted so the powder paint will coat evenly. I've seen a few buggies here that have been PCed and the results are very nice. This will be a shelfer, I plan to polish the runner, but that's another story :)

TM

jasond

Re: Powder Painting

Post by jasond »

They typically charge by the square inch, but there is a minimum charge because of the time it takes to clean up, and general aggravation of just doing one of something. Also, there is a minimum quantity of powder they can buy.
I specify powder coat on many of the parts I design at work, but I'm not involved in the money side of it for the most part. I can tell you that when I need a special color, there is a substantial upcharge.
I've done some parts at home with the eastwood gun, and they came out great! I'd go that route if you'll have more to do in the future. You'll need a compressor, too.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

You should be able to find a decent powder coating business in your area, of course prep, and color directly influence the price. You might be able to get something reasonably priced if you can tack on an existing job, but it might have to be black or another common color. Calling around is your best bet.

TM Ru22311
Approved Member

Post by TM Ru22311 »

I found someone that will anodize it for about $40 (+shipping).
Either way, it looks like it will cost me $60, but I think Ano would be best.
Always heard PCing is cheaper and this guy is right down the road. Probably as Jason said, minimum charge :(

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... If your referring to "Powder coating" that's very expensive. My local guy does my RC10 chassis's for $12. That chassis, motor plate, and nose kick up. I glass bead everything before bringing it to him. Here's some of his work.

102 RC vehicles and counting...

scootmike
Approved Member

Post by scootmike »

Can't beat that!
Nice work, where do we send our parts :lol:

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Re: Powder Coating

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... Canada! :mrgreen:

scteggy

Post by scteggy »

Anyone have any good powder coating referrals here in Southern California for chassis, front, and motor plate?

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

You could try this idea if you plan on doing a few parts:

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/hotcoat-powder-coating/powder-coat-guns.html
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

RC Chick
Approved Member

Post by RC Chick »

I had two of mine done, both were done for around 50 buks. I don't know the name of the place though, it was done through a mutual friend. I know the guy was in Yucca Valley if that helps. Id suggest calling around too, I seem to remember when i was looking a few years ago it was around 100.00.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... Wow I can't believe what some of these guys are charging for powder coating. I just dropped off a 1977 Tamiya Tyrrell P34 chassis and all the aluminum parts for that car with my powder coaters. All in Metallic silver for $15.

dragon_av3

Post by dragon_av3 »

Nice work!

Jim85IROC
Approved Member

Post by Jim85IROC »

THE H.P FREAK wrote:HI!... Wow I can't believe what some of these guys are charging for powder coating. I just dropped off a 1977 Tamiya Tyrrell P34 chassis and all the aluminum parts for that car with my powder coaters. All in Metallic silver for $15.
I guess it depends on whether it's a hobbyist doing it for fun, or if it's somebody that's trying to make a living. I can say that for $15 I wouldn't even bother taking my powdercoat gun out of the box, because by the time I set it up, powder it, then stick it in the oven, I'll have way over an hour invested in it. That's just not worth the $15 to me. A business may be willing to do it for less money IF they have another job at the same time that's using the same color, but if they have to set up just for your part, you can bet it won't be cheap.

I have found though, that there a lot of hobbyists that have a setup and they seem to be willing to do it for way less money just because they're still trying to learn, or for the simple fun of it. If you can find one of those guys, $15 might be all it takes.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

I agree, there's no way I could ever do a chassis set for $12 and make a profit, or break even for that matter. Consider the price of the powder, the 220v electricity to run an air compressor and oven. Then the time required for sandblasting if required and the prep time for cleaning and pre-baking, then powdering. The only possible way these shops are charging so little is that they're doing large batches of parts using powders that they order in bulk.

I've charged $25-35 + return shipping to sandblast and powder a tub, nose, motor plate and any other small parts a person could send since I would be doing everything in one batch. And that's if I have the powder on hand and they don't require 2 or 3 coats. Some powders are $20+ per pound, and I only use a few ounces for small RC parts. So if a customer wants an odd color that will never sell to anyone else, I'm stuck with the leftover powder. I try to only do batches of parts with powders I don't have to special order. If it's for a set of 1:1 car wheels that require a lot more powder, then sure, ordering a pound or two of powder isn't a big deal because it'll get used up.

THE H.P FREAK
Approved Member

Post by THE H.P FREAK »

HI!... Well the place I bring it too is not some hobbyist or small company. This company is very large and does small parts all the way up to industrial items the size the trucks. I guess I'm lucky. lol This place just quoted me $75 a wheel to do my 18x12.5 drag truck wheels. Inside and out including the sandblasting.