RC10GT Rebuilds

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikea96
Approved Member

Re: RC10GT Rebuilds

Post by mikea96 »

Wow that is awesome Jason nice job 8)

Gastruckracer14
Approved Member

Post by Gastruckracer14 »

Very nice. I'm only missing the white rear bulkhead and the white transmission case and I'll have mine finished. Can't wait. Killer trucks good sir. Hate I'm missing the VONATS this year and won't see it in person. Good luck Jason

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

:shock: That's a sharp looking truck! And that motor plate... 8)
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Do you still have to give it back?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

RC10th wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:24 am Do you still have to give it back?
Haha...... Yeah, I think so.

It's running pretty decent. In the hands of a really good driver, it would do well.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

crazy how the website color is totally different. looks good though.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

absolutely dialed, tub conversions look so slick and light, only question is hows the forward/aft flex? right behind the rear battery post and the lower motor plate chassis mount, my conversion felt like rubber in hand until i tied in the gearbox with a bracket to the left side (looking from the rear) upper angle of the chassis

wondering if you guys are gonna play further with a more elaborate lower motor plate bracket or if Jason is bringing this version to production? love that conversions became a bolt on affair for the flat chassis, but tubs are where my heart is....

tell Jason to petition mip to start making t2/gt cvd bones !!! or even better, a pucks version to end outdrive sourcing... a lil late to market but still psyched to see more conversions, glad i stocked up on tub gts !! well done sir... well done

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Yes, the motor plate and mount, and the battery posts are going to be production pieces (he posted a pic of them on FB this morning). He did redesign the battery posts and made them a bit fancier. When i was building the truck I was running out of time to get it done for the VONATS. I had it figured out one way with battery boxes, but then moved the battery elsewhere. So just used some 3/16" x 1" tubing and fabbed up a battery brace for it out of kydex. When he got the truck back after the race, he designed a new 3d printed hold down that mimicked the T2 brace. You can see that one on the truck in the link.

Gotta get ready for work so I'll answer your other question later. :wink: :mrgreen:

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

scr8p wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:22 am Yes, the motor plate and mount, and the battery posts are going to be production pieces (he posted a pic of them on FB this morning). He did redesign the battery posts and made them a bit fancier. When i was building the truck I was running out of time to get it done for the VONATS. I had it figured out one way with battery boxes, but then moved the battery elsewhere. So just used some 3/16" x 1" tubing and fabbed up a battery brace for it out of kydex. When he got the truck back after the race, he designed a new 3d printed hold down that mimicked the T2 brace. You can see that one on the truck in the link.

Gotta get ready for work so I'll answer your other question later. :wink: :mrgreen:
yea, saw the shapeways hold down on the jc blog page, this build led me back here after an extended absence!!! real life has me back burnering all my r/c tinkering

the instinct with a tub is to put a shorty pack on the right side (looking from the rear forward) with two battery cups, but putting it left, leaves an opportunity to tie that rear battery hold down "post" to the bottom motorplate bracket, effectively stiffening up that center, and taking the major flex out without a waterfall, as the plastic battery hold down would effectively brace the posts, than, rear post to motor bracket, motor bracket to transmission case.. super slick and cleaner than tie rods or my example of hackery

id really like to see Jason just have that rear post machined with an extension that runs the length to the motor plate, increase the height and use two screws to the plate, or just a rectangle that uses 4 screws, two to the motor plate, two to the battery post (with an offset of some sort to pass the post screw) and whatever bottom chassis holes are available...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I think if we would have had more time to mess around with it things would have been done differently. The plan to do this came fairly close to the race and I just hoped that it was going to finished for it. It was supposed to be just a GT restoration. Jason had sent me 4 GT's to restore. This was the last one, and it was going to need a lot of new parts to really be nice. So I pitched the idea of converting it to electric and he said yeah, let's do that.... and then you can race it at the VONATS.

I don't know if he really planned on making them production pieces. Maybe the towers since you could use them on a stock GT as well. But I guess enough guys showed an interest in it to make it worthwhile.

I kinda doubt there will be further development on it. I will probably build one for myself eventually. So maybe if I come up with a different way of doing things like bracing and he likes it, maybe he could help me out..... and maybe they'll become production pieces.

We are teaming up on a new truck build for the '19 VONATS, but it's not a GT this time. :wink:

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

That's a really nice Kydek battery hold down! Did you use a wooden block or the battery itself when folding over the tabs on the side?
Bum on Direct Deposit

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

I have a sheetmetal break in my basement. We got a larger one for the garage so i brought the smaller, old one home.

sbcnyc
Approved Member

Post by sbcnyc »

scr8p wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:23 am I think if we would have had more time to mess around with it things would have been done differently. The plan to do this came fairly close to the race and I just hoped that it was going to finished for it. It was supposed to be just a GT restoration. Jason had sent me 4 GT's to restore. This was the last one, and it was going to need a lot of new parts to really be nice. So I pitched the idea of converting it to electric and he said yeah, let's do that.... and then you can race it at the VONATS.

I don't know if he really planned on making them production pieces. Maybe the towers since you could use them on a stock GT as well. But I guess enough guys showed an interest in it to make it worthwhile.

I kinda doubt there will be further development on it. I will probably build one for myself eventually. So maybe if I come up with a different way of doing things like bracing and he likes it, maybe he could help me out..... and maybe they'll become production pieces.

We are teaming up on a new truck build for the '19 VONATS, but it's not a GT this time. :wink:
really not much to develop, t2/gt is the pinnacle of stadium truck nirvana! haahaaaa....

it would of just been nice to have a super clean store bought, all in one motor plate/chassis bracket to stiffen back up from the lack of the nitro motor, as it was the whole tie in member to the tub chassis, that little aluminum block at the base of the motor plate was an "ahhh man, sooo close... just make it longer and screw it into the rear battery post, why didnt i do it this way in the first place" moment for me !!

im just into the older stuff as its been way cheaper than trying to keep up with the latest greatest chassis as a non competitive enthusiast, the new t6.1 looks unreal, but not for the kits sticker price to just practice with on occasion, 50 dollar ebay gt's and a bit of massage work has been so enjoyable, i could do some plate chassis conversions, but the black tubs were a 3rd of the cost a few years ago

gave me ideas to revamp my conversion though, build up a ligher, less busy, fresh tub... one of these days

way off eGT topic, but kinda on a electric conversion kick of convo... i did a xxxnt too, handling is unreal compared to the gte, but i drive it super cautious, the arms, although still abundant, are brittle to no end, one wrong move and snap, the compound gear is a bit rare and pricey, been hunting ages for the asiantee's or gpm alloy gearset but to no avail...the hpi firestorm nitro has an all metal drivetrain with a sealed gear diff, with an identical tooth count compound gear, but the shaft is metric, was considering an entire transmission swap until noting the outdrives wont fit the losi universals

it does feel much like a t5 though, plush but tight if that makes sense, the gte, no matter what, feels "bouncy", still fast, but not as locked feeling, but the durability factor of 11 makes way up as i drive the gt with abandon and no fear

guess Jason is just catching on to the world of an off the shelf, vintage factory parts correct mid-motor conversions, hmm, nitro hawks, rampages, nxt's, the options are endless if your not brand loyal...awesome stuff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

If you look at my e-gt buggy conversion, the waterfall brace I made ties into the factory motor mount holes in the chassis. I could have left some kind feature for a hook-like battery strap in the waterfall but you know how hindsight goes. I preferred to have the battery on the right side anyway. It took me a while to figure out the least amount of drilling in the chassis. In my build I also have a lower brace that screws up into the trans where the brake bracket/motor mount went.