Forum News & Discussion

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: Forum News & Discussion

Post by Lowgear »

I will be updating the forums software this coming Friday which is the 8th. The board will probably be down for a few hours while it's in progress. I'm not exactly sure when on Friday it will happen, but I always try to minimize the disturbance as much as possible. These forums have a number of modifications, and many small changes that will all have to be redone. The update really should have been done months ago but I've been holding off due to it not being a simple feat. Now we're starting to drift a little too far away from where the current version is, so it can't be ignored any longer.

Just a heads-up if you notice things out of wack, you'll know what the deal is. :mrgreen:

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Bum on Direct Deposit

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Alright, the update has been completed successfully :!: I started it at 3:00am east coast US time in an attempt to cause minimal disturbance. It took roughly 3 hours to complete. I still have a number of modifications to reinstall, and some skins as well, but didn't want to keep the board closed any longer. I will try to keep the board open as I continue to work on it, but may have to close it for short periods of time periodically.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Chatbox is gone
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Yes, like mentioned in my last post, I still have a number of modifications to reinstall, and some skins. I'll be doing it much later in the day as it's now 7:00am here, and I'm finally going to sleep. Image

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Reinstalled and configured the chat feature. :)

NomadRacer
Approved Member

Post by NomadRacer »

Everything is working nice, thank you kindly. :wink:
Bum on Direct Deposit

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

All uploaded images now display in a nice lightbox manner for improved viewing and navigation.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

In light of a past member who returned just to delete all their attachments, and some crucial posts...

Members will no longer have the ability to delete their attachments from their UCP.

There will now be a time limit on the ability to edit or delete posts. One week for the deletion of a post, and one month for the editing of a post.

Thanks for your understanding.Image

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Lowgear wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 am Alright, the update has been completed successfully :!: I started it at 3:00am east coast US time in an attempt to cause minimal disturbance. It took roughly 3 hours to complete. I still have a number of modifications to reinstall, and some skins as well, but didn't want to keep the board closed any longer. I will try to keep the board open as I continue to work on it, but may have to close it for short periods of time periodically.
Appreciate all your work Lowgear, as always..... however just wanted to post up a feature that I was not expecting (a bug, maybe, I don't know :shock: ), that either happened sometime earlier and I didn't notice, or seems to have been a result of the last forum software upgrade.

The issue is that there no longer seems to be an option to quote the most recent post on a thread.... you can quote any others, just not the last post. This could be "as designed" by the developers.... but I can't think of a good reason for it. Then again, thinking and me.... we is not close :?

Maybe you can pass it on to the forum developers.... maybe it's a setting, I'm not sure.... but I miss it!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Hey I'm just glad to see you're paying attention. :mrgreen: it's a new feature since the latest update. If you're directly replying to the most recent post in a topic like I'm doing to yours, having to quote it can be seen as a little redundant. I can see though where it would be needed like if you're quoting multiple posts including the last one for example. You're not alone in wanting it back as the members over at ClodTalk didn't care for it much either.

Luckily it's just a setting that can easily be changed, and by the time you read this it'll have been. :)

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Lowgear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:00 am Hey I'm just glad to see you're paying attention. :mrgreen: it's a new feature since the latest update. If you're directly replying to the most recent post in a topic like I'm doing to yours, having to quote it can be seen as a little redundant. I can see though where it would be needed like if you're quoting multiple posts including the last one for example. You're not alone in wanting it back as the members over at ClodTalk didn't care for it much either.

Luckily it's just a setting that can easily be changed, and by the time you read this it'll have been. :)
BONZA!

Thanks mate :D
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Lowgear wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:30 pm In light of a past member who returned just to delete all their attachments, and some crucial posts...

Members will no longer have the ability to delete their attachments from their UCP.

There will now be a time limit on the ability to edit or delete posts. One week for the deletion of a post, and one month for the editing of a post.

Thanks for your understanding.Image
I understand your reason for doing this, but it seems like it will negatively impact many threads on this forum. One example would be slotcarrod's "25 YEARS OF THE RC10" thread. Another example would be my "ChisaiKuso's RC12i Collection" thread. Threads such as these were created with the intention of regularly editing them as collections grow and additional research is done. Please do not take away our ability to keep these kinds of threads updated. :(
Something clever goes here...

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Those are valid concerns, and it's been discussed again since I made the above posting about the new changes. It was decided to put the editing setting back to unlimited a few days ago. Members no longer being able to delete their attachments, or delete their posts after a week still remains though. Hopefully if it happens again to an important topic, the Internet Archives site will have a copy so that it may be reconstructed.

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Lowgear wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 pm Those are valid concerns, and it's been discussed again since I made the above posting about the new changes. It was decided to put the editing setting back to unlimited a few days ago. Members no longer being able to delete their attachments, or delete their posts after a week still remains though. Hopefully if it happens again to an important topic, the Internet Archives site will have a copy so that it may be reconstructed.
Thank you.
Something clever goes here...