Dunkirk

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Dunkirk

Post by XLR8 »

Anyone here seen Dunkirk? I watched it last night on dvd. Wow, it's not big nor flashy but it sure packs a punch.

Doug

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: Dunkirk

Post by klavy69 »

Seen it awhile ago. The plane scenes stole it for me. Like you said its not flashy full of special effects but its well worth the watch...

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

You should also check out The Darkest Hour. It's about Churchill's first several months as Prime Minister, during which the Dunkirk evacuation occurred.

Also not a flashy movie. But really captures the mood of the moment, and the power of his speech.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

The guy at my office who loaned me Dunkirk also recommended The Darkest Hour.
My favorite Churchill quote; "You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing -- after they've tried everything else.".
Churchill had a talent for seeing things as they really are and the courage to say exactly what needed to be said.
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Very good film indeed , not a block buster but very atmospheric .
My favourite WW2 quote is from Starlin " Quantity has a quality all of its own "
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You guys should check out "Shake Hands With The Devil", based on Romeo Dallaire's experiences in Rwanda during the genocide there. Dallaire was general of pretty much the last remaining peacekeepers who got stranded there by the UN (Useless Nations) when the sh!t hit the fan. Every other country's forces were pulled out to let the genocide kick into high gear. The "Hotel Rwanda" account totally glosses over the actual events from the Canadian perspective, and used Nick Nolte to play--almost buffoon-like--Dallaire. Of course, they used a fictitious name for Nolte's character because the actual events from that perspective were also fictionalized. You want the bitter, ugly truth, you owe it to yourself to watch "Shake Hands With The Devil", or read the book. Very powerful, disturbing movie; even moreso, the book. Belgium, France and USA all should feel a bit of shame about their participation (or lack thereof) during these tragic events.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3