Shock alternatives?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

arndogg

Shock alternatives?

Post by arndogg »

I've been looking for the shock rebuild kit #6440 and it appears to be quite rare.
Are there substitute shocks that can fit the RC10T?
I saw a set of V2 rear shocks. It says they're 1.39 but I think I have 1.32 currently. I'm guessing it won't fit.

KidAgain

Re: Shock alternatives?

Post by KidAgain »

1.02 fronts and 1.39 rears on mine seems to be a perfect fit not sure on the 1.32’s though, find some SC10 v2’s or big bores shocks.

Or maybe running no limiters to gain that extra droop?

Also for the rebuild don’t you really need just the o rings or do the plastic parts actually waste away?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

arndogg

Post by arndogg »

KidAgain wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:12 pm 1.02 fronts and 1.39 rears on mine seems to be a perfect fit not sure on the 1.32’s though, find some SC10 v2’s or big bores shocks.

Or maybe running no limiters to gain that extra droop?

Also for the rebuild don’t you really need just the o rings or do the plastic parts actually waste away?
good question. I'll try scouring for individual parts instead of the kit

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if you already have the shocks and just need to rebuild them, you can just buy O-rings and reuse the plastic parts. you can get the rings in lots of places, I usually buy them in large qty's from mcmaster-carr. 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD. O-rings (orange) 9396K11 $3.55/25

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

the snap rings do wear out and don't snap that well any more after a while... :?
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Lonestar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:22 am the snap rings do wear out and don't snap that well any more after a while... :?
How many rebuilds on average do you thing the snap rings last?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

depends on your method of extraction and installation. Carefully done, there really is no reason for them to 'wear out'. if you consistently bend them past the yield point, maybe 3-4 times?

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jwscab wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:04 pm depends on your method of extraction and installation. Carefully done, there really is no reason for them to 'wear out'. if you consistently bend them past the yield point, maybe 3-4 times?
I found out that it's more about the edges of the ring that round up and don't fit that tightly in the shock body any more, rather than the ring being itself being bent, really...

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Well, just like washers, if the rings were punched, you might find that one side is rounder where the other edge is sharp. I've found that the ring groove in the shock body can get torn up pretty bad too. I also know it's pretty darn easy to bend the clip just after the hole.

So as usual, it's best to take a really close look at these things as you assemble them and make a judgement call.

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

Good info guys, I try to make sure to orient all the plastics with the flat side down sand down all nubs lather whole assembly and assemble a very smooth shock.........................................................

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

KidAgain wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 pm Good info guys, I try to make sure to orient all the plastics with the flat side down sand down all nubs lather whole assembly and assemble a very smooth shock.........................................................
flat side up, I'd say... they "unsnap" at the pull, so when the shock compresses :)

Lightning78

Post by Lightning78 »

I have a question about big bore shocks from a different mfg....If I can score a Screaming good deal on a complete set front and rear Kyosho Big Bore Shocks (which ive read are supposed to be the best in the business) that came off of a Kyosho Ultima SC6 Short Course Truck , does anybody know if they will fit the Associated T4, T4.1 T4.2 or T5M????

I have spent nearly ALL day scouring the net trying to find out compatibility lengths of the Kyosho SC6 bb shocks and Associated T4 series or T5m and I cant seem to get a real solid answer. Personally of they only fit the T5M and maybe not the T4's ill be ok with that but I think these Associated T4's and T5M share the same length shocks.

Fingers crossed someone can positively confirm they will because Id really like to upgrade my T4 or buy this T5M ive had my eye on its just missing the shocks....go figure LOL

arndogg

Post by arndogg »

Lightning78 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:13 pm I have a question about big bore shocks from a different mfg....If I can score a Screaming good deal on a complete set front and rear Kyosho Big Bore Shocks (which ive read are supposed to be the best in the business) that came off of a Kyosho Ultima SC6 Short Course Truck , does anybody know if they will fit the Associated T4, T4.1 T4.2 or T5M????

I have spent nearly ALL day scouring the net trying to find out compatibility lengths of the Kyosho SC6 bb shocks and Associated T4 series or T5m and I cant seem to get a real solid answer. Personally of they only fit the T5M and maybe not the T4's ill be ok with that but I think these Associated T4's and T5M share the same length shocks.

Fingers crossed someone can positively confirm they will because Id really like to upgrade my T4 or buy this T5M ive had my eye on its just missing the shocks....go figure LOL
I just read a post about an RC10T restore and it had Kyosho gold shocks on it. If they have the same length as the big bores maybe?

KidAgain

Post by KidAgain »

The Kyosho SC velvet shocks should be a direct swap since it’s a direct swap on the SC10’s. I have tried shocks from my SC10 on my 10T it’s a direct bolt on.

arndogg

Post by arndogg »

Are the internals in the 7482 V2 rears the same as the original rear shock? would it be possible to just swap the threaded bodies and bottom seal caps while I rebuild my old ones?