Striker Prices ?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dadio
Approved Member

Striker Prices ?

Post by Dadio »

I was just browsing Ebay and i came across a Tamiya Striker that was listed at £550 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-STRIKER-1987-VINTAGE-BUGGY-1-10-R-C-CAR-STUNNING-ORIGINAL-EXAMPLE/153907409993?hash=item23d598b449:g:JS4AAOSwW8JeohlO so i thought i'd have a look expecting to find something with some nice period Mod parts , maybe one of the rare Tamiya Mod motors or a Thorp diff or something but no ..... nothing ..... just a nice clean car ? so i thought i'd have a read of the description to find an explanation or if it was just a speculative price , the description explains that there has been a steep rise in their popularity and that prices were therefore justified , so i had a look at other Strikers and sure enough the prices are steeply on the up ! now i don't want to be dismissive but for those prices there are a lot of high end cars out there , is there something i don't know about the Striker ? i really do want to know i'm not just saying its not worth the money i'm just not seeing it ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

RC10CE75
Approved Member

Re: Striker Prices ?

Post by RC10CE75 »

I am right there with you. I don't know why anyone would pay that much for an entry level RC car. I guess nostalgia. I looked through the auction sites and don't see any so maybe they are pretty rare. Seems like a lot of money for something that will sit on a shelf but then again there are some hard core Tamiya collectors.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Dadio wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:54 pm now i don't want to be dismissive but for those prices there are a lot of high end cars out there , is there something i don't know about the Striker ? i really do want to know i'm not just saying its not worth the money i'm just not seeing it ?
The front suspension breaks really easily without using aftermarket reinforced parts, so a Striker where the original front suspension is not shattered into a billion pieces is rare as hens teeth? :P

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I guess in my generation the equivalent car would have been a Grass Hopper ,I had one and have fond memories of it , a few years later and the Striker takes over that position with the nostalgia associated to those who had one then , I guess the difference is the Grass Hopper has been Re Re'd and the Striker has not ..... Maybe ?
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

EvolutionRevolution wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm
Dadio wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:54 pm now i don't want to be dismissive but for those prices there are a lot of high end cars out there , is there something i don't know about the Striker ? i really do want to know i'm not just saying its not worth the money i'm just not seeing it ?
The front suspension breaks really easily without using aftermarket reinforced parts, so a Striker where the original front suspension is not shattered into a billion pieces is rare as hens teeth? :P
This too , kind of like the Marui Samurai its very fragile so rare to find a survivor .

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Dadio wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:11 pm
EvolutionRevolution wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:37 pm
This too , kind of like the Marui Samurai its very fragile so rare to find a survivor .
But well, clearly I should have sat on my very yellowed and scratched up Striker so I could have sold it for 200 bucks because it had the original front end. Instead I painted it in purple and some other colors, and replaced the front end with after market parts that don't break.

Guess I could try selling the original front arms for $200? :lol:

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

I think this falls into the "you can ask whatever you want" category. Looking at the sold history a NIB one went for $480 and 2 other good condition with box examples hit $300.

I think he will be holding that for a while.
Self described chronic hobbyist

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Burniefloyd wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:07 pm I think this falls into the "you can ask whatever you want" category. Looking at the sold history a NIB one went for $480 and 2 other good condition with box examples hit $300.

I think he will be holding that for a while.
For sure he's asking a high "optimistic" price but even $300 is in a market with some really nice cars , I saw a Mugen bulldog go for £280 recently and it was in good condition , I know where my money would go and I'm not against Tamiya , I've had a list of them and even thinking of making a replica of my old Hot Shot racer .

Burniefloyd
Approved Member

Post by Burniefloyd »

100% agree. I appreciate Tamiya and have feelings for a lot of their models. This one is definitely unique, just not my personal style and about 5x more than I would pay.
Self described chronic hobbyist

mirrorman
Approved Member

Post by mirrorman »

I think the Striker is "interesting" looking RC , and would like to find a clean used one .. but not at the prices asked now. :roll:

The same seems to be happening with Falcon prices - through the roof.