R.I.P. Nick Adams

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

duckhead
Approved Member

R.I.P. Nick Adams

Post by duckhead »

I am almost embarrassed to say I never knew of Nick's contributions to RC over the years but growing up U.S. based and pre-Internet I had never heard of him.

When I returned to RC years later, I discovered his YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbiW6uX8MLmxYHaNucInSqQ/videos and really enjoyed his content around motors, batteries, and testing. His content on vintage audio repairs was always an added bonus. His personality and soft spoken nature seemed to me to be someone who was worth knowing and being around.

Doing a little research it looks like he was heavily involved in the UK on-road racing scene, especially motors under the Demon Power label. It also looks like he participated pretty heavily in Battlebots, which is pretty awesome.

I know dinglem has a few threads on here with Demon Power stuff I need to read through, but if anyone has additional info they want to share about Nick or his contributions please share. Make sure to check out that YouTube channel if you haven't, there is some good stuff on there.

->Mark

dinglem
Approved Member

Re: R.I.P. Nick Adams

Post by dinglem »

Great post, and a very sad time in the UK R/C scene right now.

Nick Adams was a massive part of racing in the late 80's, and produced some serious RC accessories at that time. His Demon Power Products brand produced various ESC's from the early to late 80's, culminating in the Demon Pro King which Jamie Booth actually used in the 1987 World Champs in Romsey to great effect. He sponsored some top drivers back in the day, and his Sagami-based Demon motors along with their now legendary red (and later gold) prism logos were some of the best in the business IMHO.

Nick also produced the Demon MF-1 race car in 1983, which was campaigned with much success on the 1/12th circuit.

Nick was a great guy, very helpful and was in constant contact with myself over the past couple of years as I looked to expand my Demon collection.

He will be sadly missed.

43951838_871676756365047_3729956406816669696_n.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

2a demon sept 88.jpg
3.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Demon MF-1.
99055632_1649618578503168_9128638252444549120_n.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

A few examples from the Demon ESC range... these date from the British 'heatshrink' era.
116339123_10160103990336258_2878179693750537902_o.jpg

bluewormx
Approved Member

Post by bluewormx »

128680488_10159209011372658_7256426349773964894_n.jpg
I had the privilege to have known Nick back in 86-88 and spoke with him
earlier this year.
He was perhaps the pioneer of the electronic speed control, writing several
articles in "Radio control model cars". His Demon 2C speed control being the
first ESC to have reached the "A" final at the Inaugural
1982 1/12th worlds in California, at the hands of Jimmy Davis. Also placing 3 Demon Prokings in the 2WD "A"
finals at the 1987 1/10th worlds: Jamie Booth, Rory Cull and Kevin Moore.

More relevant to this site was Nicks Advocacy of the RC10 having run one himself from release until 1988,
despite the fact that UK racing was not separated by classes until 1988. The RC10 suffering heavily
against the 4WD competition.
I remember several race meetings in 1988 where Nick and I where the only RC10 present. Also how he tried every
single 4WD conversion and always going back to his 2WD RC10.
He showed up at Club Heathrow one Saturday in 1986 with four Germans whom had developed a 4WD conversion,
I later learned that one of them was Stephan Oberle. All I can remember is that all five of them suffered.

A5CD3641-2D13-4477-BA3F-3B3D83DD5711.jpeg
By 1988 all that remained of Nicks 4WD RC10 dream was the Schumacher CAT rear transmission that was part of
the MMS (Concept Car) CAT transmission Conversion for the RC10.
This is also the car I knew the best having seen it several times at Chessington and at Eden park.
Nick still had this car
IMG_1525.JPG

And recently sent me a photo of the bag of bits which where of the MMS rear end.
RC10_belt_drive.JPG

Earlier this year Nick shared most of his schematics with Martin and I, and many photos of his first
prototype ESC from back in 1978.
Demon1a.JPG

He was also so nice that he gave me several remaining Proking
PCBs, for which I will be eternally grateful.
IMG_3194.jpg

duckhead
Approved Member

Post by duckhead »

Thank guy's for sharing the stories and information!

When I was a kid RCCA and the occasional copy of Competition Plus were the only magazines I had access to. Novak, Trinity, Reedy, and to a lesser extent Tekin and Twister were common place in the ESC/Motor market and dominated most of the press.

1982 is way early for ESCs, before my time, you say Nick pioneered the ESC, would you say he invented it, if not, does anyone know who is credited with that?

I found this link indicating that Nick produced an ESC possibly as early as 1977: https://classicrc.wordpress.com/esc-electronic-speed-control/demon-products/demon-2/

One thing I love about this site is that it consistently broadens my horizons with regards to the international nature of this hobby and the contributions made by so many people across the globe. As a kid growing up in the midwest the only view I ever got into the "international" RC scene was the coverage of the IFMAR worlds every couple years and it was always covered from the US teams and drivers perspective. I am especially impressed with how much of a hotbed the UK was in early days of RC and still to this day.

Thanks again! :mrgreen:
->Mark

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Mark
Thanks for posting the link to the very early Demon 2 ESC.
This is my museum. Glad you like it.

I just got notice of Nick´s passing today, when I received a message from his daughter. It is quite emotional for me because Nick has been a friend to me since more than forty years. We just had not seen each other since a long time because being based in different countries.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed Nick had closed his shop for health reasons. And the message there didn´t sound good at all.
So I send a message to him which was replied by his daughter.
At this time I didn´t realize it could have been his last days on earth. But I told him how we meet the first time and the races and stories we shared so far. His daughter told me she read all of the message to him and he enjoyed and send message back to me. She told me she and Nick also visited the museum and found the Demon car and ESC there. It seems this was exactly one day before his passing.
Now I received the bad news.

Our story with and about Nick.
Me and a close friend were visiting Nick and his wife back in 1979 the first time.
At this time my friend was using Demon motors and ESC which he got from an English co-worker initially. Then he started to sell those things at our area.
At some point we wanted to visit London and of course the home of Demon Products which was nearby. We never will forget the way Nick and his wife welcomed us at their home. This started our friendship and we visited them several times and meet at international races.
And of course we also meet the Demon racing team with Jamie Booth, Phil Olson and some others.
Some guys will know Nick´s wife Jane was a very quick racer also.

About Demon Power Products.
Nick initially was a technician for electronic stuff. At some point he started to work at a model shop making his 'Nick Adams ESC' there.
One year later he started his company Demon Power Products.
Nick didn´t invent the electronic speed control but he was the first to make in England. And one of the first which were reliable and ready to replace mechanical speed controls.
Demon motors were available as two different lines. A budget line with machine wound armatures and the real Modified motors which were made by Mike Reedy. I remember the 1985 European Offroad Championships were I could buy one of the motors Nick just had received from Mike. Did you ever had the chance to choose one from a box of team motors? Hm, one of my fastest motors ever. Still at my collection.

You could continue with Demon Sanyo batterioes and other stuff he sold. But one thing which should be mentioned is the Demon MF-1 1/12 car.
https://classicrc.wordpress.com/1-12/demon-products/demon-mf-1/
Maybe it wasn´t seen that much at international races but definitely belongs to history of Nick´s company and British 1/12 racing scene.
And of course could be found at other European race tracks. That car belongs also to my own racing history but I sold it unfortunately later.
It took me many years to find such car in Sweden.

Beside his company Nick was also involved with reports at magazines and organization at races.
You always could seen him with a smile in his face and discuss about anything related to R/C. He had so much knowledge and I remember our discussion about ESC technology. Because I made my own ESC since I started with 1/12 cars in 1978.

Nick you will be missed . Race in the skies.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I only found out today, must have missed this post in Jan, never knew him personally but the face rings a bell, his products were so much part of the UK scene its hard to believe he's gone.

RIP Nick
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Nick was a super nice guy and a helping hand to a lot of people.
Even in the last couple of years when Nick made his Youtube videos about repair job of speedos and guitar amps or Tech Talk and tests of Lipos and BL motors.
His motors, Nicads and ESC were not only a part of the UK scene but could be found also in cars all over Europe.
If they made also their way outside of Europe I have no idea.