RC10T w Lipo? Brushless

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ajbarickman

RC10T w Lipo? Brushless

Post by ajbarickman »

Hello,

I am reviving my RC10T from the 90s. It has not been touched in 25 years and was running a 12turn brushed motor with a Novak Duster ESC and NiMh/NiCad batteries. I am using a Futaba Magnum FM transmitter and receiver. I order of desire I would like to upgrade to:
1) Lipo
2) Brushless

Can I do this without replacing my transmitter and receiver? I am not looking to spend a ton. Any advice and recommendations on gear are greatly appreciated.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Re: RC10T w Lipo? Brushless

Post by adam lancia »

You definitely upgrade the battery and motor/ESC combo without upgrading the radio system. The LiPo will put a bit more power through the motor since it's slightly higher voltage so you'll need to be on top of your motor maintenance until you upgrade to brushless. I'm not the guy to ask about gear recommendations though, I'm only getting back into things after a while away too.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

You can upgrade the tx/Rx for £30 or dollars40 to 2.4ghz and not have to worry about crystals, interference or a 3foot aerial. But servo plugs would need trimming to fit the receiver. My choice would be put lipo at the bottom of the list unless your a speed freak. I found 2.4ghz has better range than an old acoms kit. And I've got 3 cars running off the same tx with 'bound' receivers. If your thinking of changing the ESC I guess modern ones have plugs that fit 2.4ghz Rx?

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

PS. with brushless you'll need a new ESC?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

threesheds wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:36 am You can upgrade the tx/Rx for £30 or dollars40 to 2.4ghz and not have to worry about crystals, interference or a 3foot aerial. But servo plugs would need trimming to fit the receiver. My choice would be put lipo at the bottom of the list unless your a speed freak. I found 2.4ghz has better range than an old acoms kit. And I've got 3 cars running off the same tx with 'bound' receivers. If your thinking of changing the ESC I guess modern ones have plugs that fit 2.4ghz Rx?
Other than the antenna, the 2.4ghz stuff isn't as superior as many believe. I've got Futaba, Airtronics, and JR AM radios with any feature that most people would ever need.

2.4ghz also has some drawbacks compared to earlier technology. 2.4ghz stuff tends to flake out when there isn't a direct path for the signal to travel. Talk to some serious plane guys, 72mhz is on the comeback.

Fixed frequency (crystals) don't have binding or brand compatibility (27 and 75mhz) issues. All of my transmitters and receivers of the same band work with each other.

Yes, 2.4ghz does have superior range. But the reality is that none of us can see a 1/10 scale car anywhere near that far away.

Oh yeah, modern "universal" plugs will plug directly into the Futaba J slot on his receiver.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Good to hear differing views, I like the binding option of 2.4 and don't have to worry about channels or crystals or the long aerial. I knew nothing when I got the gv beagle running on its old acoms, and don't know much more now but putting 2.4 on a zerda chassis and now a rockn city for just the additional cost of an RX and ESC impressed me. Also finding that trimming large servo plugs could get them to work on a flysky RX was a cheap fix. But I get that choices are based on experience. Then the only criteria is budget. Bit of fun though isn't it.

ajbarickman

Post by ajbarickman »

Thank you for all the input.

Does anyone have a specific esc/motor combo that will work with my old receiver (Novak XXL FM)?

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

ajbarickman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm Thank you for all the input.

Does anyone have a specific esc/motor combo that will work with my old receiver (Novak XXL FM)?
As long as the receiver isn't pinned in the old Airtronics pattern, any current stuff should be a direct fit. The sticker on my Novak XXL says its for JR but the case has the slots for Futaba J plugs to fit. And it works fine with J plug equipment.

All of the current "universal" plugs are basically the JR/Hitec type, which is nothing more than a Futaba J with the locating tab removed. The newer Airtronics Z plug (blue) is also compatible. All of these use the same wiring layout.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

ajbarickman wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:18 pm Thank you for all the input.

As long as the receiver isn't pinned in the old Airtronics pattern, any current stuff should be a direct fit. The sticker on my Novak XXL says its for JR but the case has the slots for Futaba J plugs to fit. And it works fine with J plug equipment.

All of the current "universal" plugs are basically the JR/Hitec type, which is nothing more than a Futaba J with the locating tab removed. The newer Airtronics Z plug (blue) is also compatible. All of these use the same wiring layout.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

GarySmith
Approved Member

Post by GarySmith »

I am also looking at upgrading my electric. I have one with an old ESC and the other had a manual control (or no control at all right now).

Looking at the brush less I see they are all 3 pin.

Is there a recommend brand of motor/esc replacement, as well as battery/charger replacement?

My intent is to clean up the 3 complete cars I have (2 GT's, 1 T) and then replace any necessary parts since these things have been boxes for 10 years.