Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TheDiamondOne
Approved Member

Re: Motor Collection - Old School Horsepower

Post by TheDiamondOne »

Shes a beaut! Cant wait to install it. The Technigold is classic, but just not enough par!
David, The artist formerly known as coxbros

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

The Revo Insane is still on my hitlist too.... as you say, back then it was off the charts!!
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

coxbros1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:29 pm Scored this Revolution "Insane" yesterday by a freak chance. This is it after a restoration. Its a 15 double going in my brothers Avante. It turns 32,200 rpm @ 7.2v and pulls 2 amps. The was the motor we wanted most as kid back in the 80s but never had.

20210315_112217.jpg

20210315_112139.jpg
Nicely restored! You now have a legendary motor. I always wanted one after my friend put one in his RC10 and blew my doors off! Isn't it fun taking these old motors that hardly run and returning them to their former glory? Very satisfying in a way. I had to slow my collection of brushed motors as they are so addicting to restore. :D

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

GeneralZod wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:00 pm
coxbros1 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:29 pm Scored this Revolution "Insane" yesterday by a freak chance. This is it after a restoration. Its a 15 double going in my brothers Avante. It turns 32,200 rpm @ 7.2v and pulls 2 amps. The was the motor we wanted most as kid back in the 80s but never had.

20210315_112217.jpg

20210315_112139.jpg
Nicely restored! You now have a legendary motor. I always wanted one after my friend put one in his RC10 and blew my doors off! Isn't it fun taking these old motors that hardly run and returning them to their former glory? Very satisfying in a way. I had to slow my collection of brushed motors as they are so addicting to restore. :D
Thanks! they sure are....that will be my last for awhile tho☹
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

dinglem wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:52 pm The Revo Insane is still on my hitlist too.... as you say, back then it was off the charts!!
I hear you. I use the term "holy grail" alot but this motor truly is ...i think i like it better than my Le mans motors!

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

Is this an Insane motor? It is a double and has an “I” on the armature.. any other way to tell?

-Brad

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

It probably is. Thats the original color on the decal. Mine has a new MCI decal but had that one originally....mine has an "I" engraved on the front of the can too...looks factory. I will try and get a close up. If yours is a double its either an Insane or Killer...the Brutus was a triple

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

20210315_184842.jpg

BattleTrak
Approved Member

Post by BattleTrak »

Mine doesn’t have any engraved marks like that anywhere.. There is a white paint mark on the windings.. the label is also yellow/maroon vs the yellow/red..that may be just a difference in the reproduction label. Any way to ohm test these to find out?
-Brad

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

not that i know of....someone might have put that on mine. I have a "Killer" in a jrx2 but havent got around to pulling it out yet to look. Your armature is the "Real Deal" tho, you can tell by the welded windings on the comm....cheap arms are crimped

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

That I engraving is factory but not all of them had it. I have WetMag II and a WetMag IV with a II and IV engraved in the same place.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

BattleTrak wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:07 pm Mine doesn’t have any engraved marks like that anywhere.. There is a white paint mark on the windings.. the label is also yellow/maroon vs the yellow/red..that may be just a difference in the reproduction label. Any way to ohm test these to find out?
if you have access to an inductance meter you can determine the number of turns the arm has. You would need a comparison chart to check. It should get you in the ball park. The number of winds are easy. Just count the number of wires crimped or welded to one of the poles.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

received_1120107675081240.jpeg
received_728195227865016.jpeg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I have picked up a few very unusual and early MG's recently, all in very tidy condition.

Firstly an MG 18 Single Red Dot Buggy Special. Looks to have had very little use. This is the second MG i have seen where the original endbell lettering has been machined off.
red dot buggy spec 01.jpg
red dot buggy spec 02.jpg
Next is another gold label MG Magnum. This one is an 18 Single (L) spec, signed by Mick, but is slightly unusual as it is based on an AYK can/endbell combo and has a Buggy Special label on the reverse side. The 18x1 writing will clean off i think, but i don't want to rub it too hard. One of the endbell plates also has 24K stamped into it, which i haven't seen before?
magnum b s 001.jpg
magnum b s 002.jpg
magnum b s 003.jpg
magnum b s 004.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Next up is a bit of a special...a really lovely condition MG Magnum Buggy Special 18 Double.... with the added curiosity of having been converted to slot brushes. This is the second slot converted MG i have come across (both are of a slightly different endbell plate layout/configuration), and i have messaged Mick G. about this one for a little more info.
slot 01.jpg
slot 02.jpg
slot 03.jpg
slot 04.jpg
slot 05.jpg
slot 06.jpg