Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow So Frustrated (Correction, it Literally Flies!)

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

R6cowboy

Re: Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow - So Frustrated - Any Ideas?

Post by R6cowboy »

The truck is super light (IMO), I weighed it once with a 2s lipo in it and it was right around 3.5 lbs. I've previously ran the truck pretty hard for an extended time like I did yesterday, but with a 2s 4000mah 35C battery and the motor never got more than pretty warm to the touch. But hot doggin with a 3s that Reedy motor got super hot, and the esc was barely even slightly warm.
-Jerry-

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Re: Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow - So Frustrated - Any Ideas?

Post by Snaab9-2 »

R6cowboy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:01 pm The truck is super light (IMO), I weighed it once with a 2s lipo in it and it was right around 3.5 lbs. I've previously ran the truck pretty hard for an extended time like I did yesterday, but with a 2s 4000mah 35C battery and the motor never got more than pretty warm to the touch. But hot doggin with a 3s that Reedy motor got super hot, and the esc was barely even slightly warm.
That is pretty light! Why don't you want to keep using the Associated ESC?

So I ran the Ultima today and ran into a few issues. I GPSed it with my phone (yeah, I know not a good idea) and I got 1 run in and it went 45+ mph. I when I turned the car around to get another speed run a gust of wind came and my car did a backflip at.... IDK, 35 mph or so. Lucky for me the phone took several smaller hits and not big one and was OK (it is my wife's old Iphone 7 so while I don't want it to break, it isn't anything too nice). A turnbuckle pulled out of the rear suspension and I lost a dogbone (my son found it after we both searched for close to 10 min). So, I need to work on the car's stability. It has a big aftermarket bumper and that has to go for high speed runs as it is causing lift. I also think I need to lower the front ride height a bit. 45 mph might just be a touch too fast for my Ultima. I might just put the smaller tires on it as they don't grip nearly as well and flipped the car slowing it down a few times. The smaller ones just slide and don't cause the car to flip when the dig in going sideways. I might have to add some weight to the front of the car too. Funny how any RC car I have ever owned I was WOT almost all of the time. With this car, I am almost never at WOT and I am always modulating it so it doesn't end up wrecked! IDK how many have you have found a limit for your car but for me 45 is it... I have no interest in going any faster unless I can get the stability improved! I cannot imagine ever needed more power than the 10.5t motor provides in a car that weighs about the same as the Ultima (unless I suppose you are going for crazy speed runs and have a LOT of space).

I didn't do run after run at WOT but for the running I did, the ESC was just warm and the motor was warmer but not hot (I could hold my fingers on it as long as I wanted. It might have been like 120 or 130F.... IDK).

So my Ultima is 100% faster that my son's stock Bandit. I wanted to GPS the Bandit too but I am going to wait for a day where it isn't windy! I want to try the 31 tooth pinion I originally bought for my Ultima in his Bandit too but he isn't interest in going any faster (funny he is the voice or reason). I cannot imagine his car at 3s with the 31 tooth doing 70+ mph. That is just too darn quick!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow So Frustrated (Correction, it Literally Flies!)

Post by Coelacanth »

It sounds to me like your car is too fast. :mrgreen: I think your goal from the start has been to outrun your son's Bandit, and you've succeeded handily in that venture...only to find it's too fast to be reliably controllable.

Speed runs up and down a straight road are fun and all, but you're one crash away from destroying your car. I think once a 1:10-scale car hits 35 - 40+ mph, it's no longer a controllable, predictably steerable car for anybody other than experienced racers...and certainly I'm not among that group. Just my thoughts. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Re: Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow So Frustrated (Correction, it Literally Flies!)

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am It sounds to me like your car is too fast. :mrgreen: I think your goal from the start has been to outrun your son's Bandit, and you've succeeded handily in that venture...only to find it's too fast to be reliably controllable.

Speed runs up and down a straight road are fun and all, but you're one crash away from destroying your car. I think once a 1:10-scale car hits 35 - 40+ mph, it's no longer a controllable, predictably steerable car for anybody other than experienced racers...and certainly I'm not among that group. Just my thoughts. :)
Well, when I removed the larger front bumper, added some weight to the front, and lowered the car it was much more controllable! Here was my first run with a more on-road oriented setup. It is still too fast for anything but a parking lot but I like having the power! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aFj7x9yClk&t=554s

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Yep, that's plenty fast. :) However, to play devil's advocate...you're running it--an offroad buggy--in a huge, empty parking lot with no obstacles. How driveable do you think it might be if you setup a course with a bunch of pylons, some jumps and lane markers? ;) Speaking for my own bad driving skillz, I'd never be able to control my cars at this speed on a track. :lol: Nice work getting some real power out of that buggy, though!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:31 am Yep, that's plenty fast. :) However, to play devil's advocate...you're running it--an offroad buggy--in a huge, empty parking lot with no obstacles. How driveable do you think it might be if you setup a course with a bunch of pylons, some jumps and lane markers? ;) Speaking for my own bad driving skillz, I'd never be able to control my cars at this speed on a track. :lol:
It would not be pretty! :lol: