Marui Hunter - My first buggy... Found one to restore :-) - and a Galaxy RS too :)

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

silvertriple
Approved Member

Re: Marui Hunter - My first buggy... Found one to restore :-)

Post by silvertriple »

Well, I got covers in perfect state (1 set lightly used, and set unused). And a third set I got from shapeways.

That being said, if by mounting ears you speak about the added material in form of tubes with threads, It is something I clearly have to deal with, at least with one of the chassis in good shape, specifically on the motor mount side. The others are in good state.

I'm not clear on what I will do with those: I may print some materials to get into the space between the battery and the gearbox, tailored to prevent damage to the tubes with thread (basically going around those tubes)...

Other idea could be to put a tube around the abs tube....

As you see, I get many ideas for each things... Time will tell which one is the easier to apply...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I don't know if this might help with an idea, but here's how I repaired completely cracked self-tapping screw mounting posts on a FeiLun FT012 RC boat I modded. If the post threads are stripped out, use slightly bigger-diameter screws after strengthening the mounting posts.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=42961&start=18
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:36 pm I don't know if this might help with an idea, but here's how I repaired completely cracked self-tapping screw mounting posts on a FeiLun FT012 RC boat I modded. If the post threads are stripped out, use slightly bigger-diameter screws after strengthening the mounting posts.

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=42961&start=18
Well, thanks for this, that was one of the ideas I had in mind... I will had to check in more details if I can find the proper diameter tube for this...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Another NIP part arrived today

I had some hope that TGB was back in business on June 1st, but they are not yet back on ebay. Next date is 30th of June. I know they do reproduction of the Marui Hunter body, and I would need a least 2 or 3, and a wing....

In the meantime, it smells well for a chassis rebuild within one of the next evenings/week-end, except I still need to clean the parts.

I also have other things to do. I plan to print 3 of the single sided shock tower brace in black PETG (got the filament today), and 1 set of rear tires... For the front tires, they are not on Thingiverse, I'll have to model them myself...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Finally printed the shock tower braces  in PETG. The finish is nice, and the final product seems good in terms of properties (flexion like ABS, but strong in the long direction). I have printed an extended version as there is one of the chassis where the screw was torqued too much apparently, so this is to be on the safe side.

Also launched a print for 2 tire set and sleeves as found on thingiverse in TPU. Interest one: it will save the nice and new tires for the shelve, and the second interest is it will allow me to check how much this is a good solution for running a Hunter. I will need to model front tires (as the guy who published it on Thingiverse did not). The print will be fairly long : more than 24 hours, so results will be visible only within next days.

Next step for the afternoon :
  • cleaning reinforced nylon parts and metallic parts
  • group the parts per build to be able to take a full stock take of what is remaining missing
  • model roll bar and rear bumper
Let's see if I can put some pictures later on today...

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

State of the stock after reinforced nylon cleaning. I do have whatever is required to rebuilt 3 Hunters (minus some exceptions).
  • Grey chassis. Will be completed with all new parts, and the only exception to the original will be the color of the gear covers and radio box which are coming from a Galaxy cluster. It is complete, including pilot, roll bar and bumper.
  • Black chassis. Will be complete with some new parts (coming from the remains of the clusters) and parts in very good shape. Black gear box covers are having a white fog due to a reaction with the cleaning agent :(. Radio box is coming from Shapeways. Missing : pilot, roll bar and bumper.
  • Black chassis with holes at the rear end, probably to mount an alternative bumper. We'll use the rest of the parts, but for reinforced nylon parts I'm now sure I have what is needed. Gear box covers are coming from Shapeways. missing pilot, radio box, roll bar and bumper. I will have to improvise a motor mount, probably using PETG print.
on the metal part side, I'll be probably missing 2 spacers for one of the lower wishbones of the front train on the third one, and one headless screw used to fix the shafts in the transmission. I've not cleaned them yet, but will have to do this. I

Next steps is likely to be in some time as next week-end is full of activities already.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Print results before removing all support

First, this is encouraging, there is a lot of wrong things in my first print of tires (stl found on Thingiverse):
- wall were not setup right, I believe this did not helped to get it right. I will make the walls thicker.
- temperature probably too high, as there is a lot of oozing on the print, which did not help to make it right
- layer was too thick. Need to do it thinner.

That being said, the tire is flexible. It won't be as sticky as a rubber tire, but that should do it for some type of surfaces... As matter of fact, as there is not enough layer, it does not keep well together, and it was not possible to remove the inside support. That being said, I can mount them on wheels this way... I did not tried to run, as there is too many imperfections on this tire set. I'll need to work out in the slicer for different and better parameters... 

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

With flexibles you can set the Combing mode so travel between points is within skin to reduce stringing and with tires you can set the infill density to adjust the hardness of the tire .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Dadio wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:21 pm With flexibles you can set the Combing mode so travel between points is within skin to reduce stringing and with tires you can set the infill density to adjust the hardness of the tire .
well, thanks for the information, I'll look into this. it is about 2 weeks I started to do prints, and I already sort out a lot of things. But this print was my first TPU print.

What slicer do you use?

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Cura
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Tapping screws topic again
I had a doubt, so I ordered what was needed to measure the step of the screws...

Marui tapping screws are :
- diameter 4, step 1.5 mm. For information the Plastite screws I could find on Bricovis have a step of 1.75 mm for the diameter 4
- diameter 3, step 1.25 mm. The Plastite screws from Bricovis have the same step for a diameter of 3 (this is perfect match).

For the machined thread screws, they are all Metric, with the proper step for the diameter, as per the norm (M3 - 0.5, M2 - 0.45).

I measured as well the body mount, as I will need at least 2, because I have only one. A friend propose to turn them, so I had to measure the step. It's a diameter of 4 but with a step of 0.8 (basically what you would find on a metric screw of 5 in terms of step, 4 si supposed to be 0.7)

For the tapping screws in diameter 4, I have 2 options
- Find the good screws
- fill in with resin, drill and use Plastite screws

In short, if you know where to find tapping screws of 4*12 with a step of 1.5mm, please tell me :-D
​​​​​

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

silvertriple wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 pm Tapping screws topic again

In short, if you know where to find tapping screws of 4*12 with a step of 1.5mm, please tell me :-D
If you have a spare existing screw, you can make your own thread tap with a Dremel and a thin cutting disk. I make cuts on opposite sides of the screw with a tapered depth, as shown here. It works well enough in a pinch and if you have a donor screw, is free. :)

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46034&start=7
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I decided to put my project on hold for a few months as I will need TBG to sell Hunter bodies again before next steps (as matter of fact I have the intention to put all chassis and parts together for a nice picture, and that one will be available only when I'll be able to rebuild them - meaning I will need the bodies). Hunter parts are now boxed, and awaiting for next steps...

In the meantime, I kicked off another build...

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

You saw that TBG closed their eBay store and has a website now, right? Just in case…. https://teambluegroove.com/products/marui-hunter-body-and-wing-vintage?_pos=11&_sid=16b6be2a0&_ss=r&variant=39874912092326
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

I did think about something like this, but Optimaforever made it, and it is so much better than what I thought about...

https://www.facebook.com/optimaforever/posts/340572760819205
It seems that soon, we will have solution to revive our Marui Hunters and Galaxys...