Do old radios and receivers hold any value to anyone?

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Do old radios and receivers hold any value to anyone?

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Note, I'm not asking how much something may be worth, I know that's verboten. The title is probably poorly worded. I'm just wondering if there's folks who still like to use old long-antenna crystal-based radios for nostalgia's sake? Personally can't see any reason why anyone would want to considering how good and how cheap modern 2.4 systems are, but I know there are people who like older stuff. Me, I still like the old days of brushed motors and NiCds. I know some folks like playing old game systems, tinkering with carburetors, collecting and listening to vinyl records, etc. I get that. But old RC radio systems just seem like there's no good reason to ever use them again since they are outdated technology and there's really nothing they do better, which makes me wonder if they are really worth anything.

Does anyone have any nostalgia feels for these things and still enjoy using them?

juicedcoupe

Re: Do old radios and receivers hold any value to anyone?

Post by juicedcoupe »

I still use them. All my better vintage radios do everything I need, and do it better than cheap modern radios.

They don't have binding issues and very few compatibility problems.

On top of that, the receivers don't look out of place in my vintage cars.

In plane racing, 72mhz has actually had a resurgence. It apparently has less "blind spots" than 2.4ghz.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Particularly higher end radios, those with modules can actually be upgraded to 2.4g with a module.

With brushless motors, the noise should be less making the older frequencies work better too.

Personally, I bought a new radio that can hold 10 models, so I don't have to keep switching around.

Some guys do collect older radios though.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

My 75mhz AM Futaba 2PL radio lets me store settings for 10 models (and I bought a working spare for $15!). I have 3 cars and a boat in it so far. I love it. Right now, I have no need to go to 2.4ghz.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Bottom Feeder wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:28 pm Note, I'm not asking how much something may be worth, I know that's verboten. The title is probably poorly worded. I'm just wondering if there's folks who still like to use old long-antenna crystal-based radios for nostalgia's sake? Personally can't see any reason why anyone would want to considering how good and how cheap modern 2.4 systems are, but I know there are people who like older stuff. Me, I still like the old days of brushed motors and NiCds. I know some folks like playing old game systems, tinkering with carburetors, collecting and listening to vinyl records, etc. I get that. But old RC radio systems just seem like there's no good reason to ever use them again since they are outdated technology and there's really nothing they do better, which makes me wonder if they are really worth anything.

Does anyone have any nostalgia feels for these things and still enjoy using them?
Yes and the radios are worth about as much as modern entry level ones. I had an old radio come with a car so I ran it. The old stuff is just fine to do normal bashing with. There isn't a reason to use newer gear unless you need the computer functions of the newer radios.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:24 pm My 75mhz AM Futaba 2PL radio lets me store settings for 10 models (and I bought a working spare for $15!). I have 3 cars and a boat in it so far. I love it. Right now, I have no need to go to 2.4ghz.
I have a couple of the 2PL radios as well, very nice for it's time. I also have some similar JR and Airtronics radios.

All of these have most of the useful features of modern radios, and a better overall feel than most.

IMHO, the only real advantage new radios have are short antennas

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I am envious of the 2.4ghz radios without giant telescoping antenna and the receivers with minimal antenna, but not enough to make me change.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

I use both old and new. Kind a pain to keep up with crystals and what not. But I prefer the older heavyweight radios that use 8 batteries instead of 4.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I stuff all my runners with Ch 88 crystals. My son uses a Traxxas TQi for his runners. I need to figure out what we can do with the Bluetooth on his without having to buy too many modules.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I have 21 cars and 11 transmitters. 6 transmitters are multi-vehicle and do most of the work.

The multi-vehicle transmitters are two Futaba 2PL's, two JR XR2i's, an Airtronics MX-A, and a Kyosho KT-14 (rebranded MX-A). All are loaded with features and have a much better feel than most current offerings.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Frankentruck wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:19 pm I am envious of the 2.4ghz radios without giant telescoping antenna and the receivers with minimal antenna, but not enough to make me change.
I'm the opposite, nothing says vintage like a big long telescopic antenna, add an antenna flag on top and you're boss. For even more credit use the big clip on frequency numbers.... 8) 8)
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I actually do have a Ch 88 antenna flag, but I don't use it for local basher runs.

My short antenna envy pops up every time I get a damaged antenna. I have a sad collection of antennae that have been bent and snapped off at the end due to accidents.

I'm happy to have not many others around me running vintage radios. I still remember that kid with the hot new JRX2 and his fancy new Futaba PCM radio stomping all over my airwaves because we were on the same channel (you know who you are, Shawn V!). Maybe it's a 'get off my lawn' old man moment, but I like having my AM signal to myself. The more people there are on 2.4ghz radios, the fewer fish there are in my little 75mhz AM pond.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I use both 27 and 75 MHz vintage radios along with a "new" Spektrum 2.4 GHz. I use the older ones for two reasons. 1 - when I had filled the Spektrum's 20 model memory, and I didn't want to alter any of the settings, I started picking up my vintage radios to use. 2 - I enjoy the attention that the whip antennas get at the race track. In the past 10 years, I've only had one runaway clodbuster at the race track when a friend turned on his vintage radio in the pits. I don't think the vintage radios hold much value, and I don't pay more than a few dollars for a mint example. But, I don't mess with any of the high end vintage ones.
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

CrazyRC
Approved Member

Post by CrazyRC »

I'm a newbie to the hobby, so because I missed out on the older stuff when I was young, I keep a few vintage radios and receivers to bash around. It's part the experience, and part the learning aspect. I have some radios I keep around solely for their design aesthetic, too. Some of the vintage stuff just SCREAMS 1985, and I love it. Like my Aitronics XL 2P... how could anyone resist that Colt .45 pistol grip? It's just cool.

The newer stuff I like for its availability. It's cheap, and I don't have to root around on the bay for battery covers or antennas.

nitrous36
Approved Member

Post by nitrous36 »

I have a few I still use, but only because I already had them and they still work. But I think they're niche otherwise and only of value to someone trying to recreate a vintage build or for the nostalgia. I tried selling 3 old radio and recievers and never got any takers. They were very clean and minimally used w/ the manuals. And I even priced them low to move. Despite that. Nobody wanted them.

I end up giving them away. And that took awhile. My experience is people just don't want them.