New project

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Steve71
Approved Member

New project

Post by Steve71 »

After finishing up my giant 1/5 scale monster truck build back in the spring I had told myself that was going to be the last project/build for a very very long time. Guess that idea lasted all of maybe 6 months :lol: I really couldn't help it though. I have been wanting a set of Freestyle Rc axles for numerous years now, but they are so popular with guys in the Rc MT scene because they are so durable that there's actually a wait list dozens of people long at almost any given time. So when these popped up on a FB rc group last week I jumped on them. So starting to collect parts for this project now.

Just got the axles and also picked up a set of Imex Pullers tires which I have always wanted to use on a build. Also ordered an RJ Speed 50's Sportsman body for it which looks a lot like a 55 Chevy. Plans are to build another tube chassis out of steel tubing and probably run a Castle brushless system. Will post pics of the build as it progresses.

therigliveson
Approved Member

Re: New project

Post by therigliveson »

Getting popcorn ready, really enjoy your builds.
RC10, FX10, JRX2 PRO, Blackfoot, Bolink Eliminator...much more, probably too much. :lol:

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Can't wait :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Not too late to go nitro on this one....please?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

:lol: :lol: I think my nitro days are behind me sorry to say. I use to have a number of them, Tmaxx, Xfactor, Savage, Ofna Colt, MBX4, and a few others I cant recall right now. They were fun, but living in the suburbs it's hard to run a nitro without bugging the neighbors. Maybe one day down the road when I end up moving up north to the woods like I plan, then I might consider one again.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Had a bit of a lull in this project. Lots going on for one thing, then I spent the last month really sick with the rona, and also taking care of my 77 yr old Mom who also has it and spent 10 days in the hospital. Trying to care for her right now is a very time consuming thing. But I'm feeling better myself lately so I finally got back in the shop to do a little work on this to help relieve some of the stress I have right now with everything going on. 3D printed the motor and other related motor parts, made an air filter for the super charger scoop as well as some blower straps and some plug wires made out of PLA filament.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I'm glad you and your mum are on the mend , tough times .
The big question on everyone's mind is "will this one be big enough to ride on ? " :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

I'm also glad to hear that you're doing better. Engine looks great! I'm a bit surprised that you don't have an engine stand in that tiny shop of yours. :wink:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Dadio wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 am I'm glad you and your mum are on the mend , tough times .
The big question on everyone's mind is "will this one be big enough to ride on ? " :lol:
This one is going to be 1/10 scale. The big ones cost too much to build very often. My new rule is only one 1/5 or bigger build per 5 years :lol:

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

matt1ptkn wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:28 am I'm also glad to hear that you're doing better. Engine looks great! I'm a bit surprised that you don't have an engine stand in that tiny shop of yours. :wink:
I actually do have one in the garage scene, but it's already got an engine on it :wink:

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Finished the racing seat & driver for the new truck build project I'll be starting soon. I couldn't find a 3D STL file for a driver I liked, so I used a WW2 pilot file I found that had proportions I liked and then modified it a bit. I printed it at 65% infill so that it would be sturdier to work with so I could heat it up and bend it to the positions I liked then ran cold water over it to re-harden it in that position. Sanded down the helmet and added a visor to it to give it more of a race look. Painted up a drivers suit, and made a 5 point harness out of some nylon strapping. Steel tubing should be here by the weekend so I will be starting bending/welding up the chassis soon for this project.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

After a few months of parts collecting it's time to dive into this new project. Have pretty much everything now except the esc/motor and parts to make the 4 links, but now can start building the chassis probably tonight.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Still long ways to go but managed to get some more progress done on this one tonight.

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Got some more done on the latest build this morning. I like to do a bit different design on each tube chassis I make so did a bit different lay out of the gusset/support bards on the side plates on this one and like how it turned out. Looks funny right now without the cab/upper cage built, but will start on those in a few days when I get time, gotta do some "real work" over the next few days

Steve71
Approved Member

Post by Steve71 »

Feels like forever since I worked on this project. Been so busy with my small business I have been working nonstop with that so just havent had time to get back on this for the past 2 months now. But the other day I took a mental health day and spent about 9 hrs back on this finally. Got most of the upper cab/cage done now. Still have probably 20% of the chassis left to do before powder coating but it's starting to take shape now.