3D CAD model of RC10 in SolidWorks

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fbmstar
Approved Member

3D CAD model of RC10 in SolidWorks

Post by fbmstar »

Full model of an RC10 is now available on grabcad in SolidWorks 2019 and .step formats. Here's a link.

https://grabcad.com/library/team-associated-rc10-ce-buggy-gold-pan-with-stealth-transmission-1

I had to make some models of the shocks and front wheels for some projects I'm working on, and was also re-assembling a recent Ebay purchased RC10, so figured it would be a good time to just model everything up for whatever future projects might come out of it.

I put more detail into it than I normally do when modelling, but it is not 100%. I measured as accurately as I could, but one can only do so much with calipers and a height gauge. Most parts should be very accurate, but some (gear cover, rear motor mount, stealth tranny) where quite difficult to measure. Most of what appear to be errors in the assembly actually show up on the real car too, so the dimensional accuracy seems to be pretty decent. This is the only gold pan I have, so couldn't do any comparisons to other parts.

Rendering isn't my specialty, but I gave it a go for the pictures below. I was initially planning on going a little further, and doing all electronics and wiring, but I'm a little burned out on this at the moment, and it's time to move on to some other projects for the time being.

Hope you all enjoy and can get some use out of it.

preview.JPG

RC10-REAR.JPG

RC10-STEERING.JPG

RC10-STEALTH SECTION.JPG

RC10-REAR ARM.JPG

Dadio
Approved Member

Re: 3D CAD model of RC10 in SolidWorks

Post by Dadio »

Well done that's a body of work there, I've come across parts that I've copied that show up the inaccuracy of the original part and I've nearly gone blind measuring and remeasuring only to find it's the manufacturer who stuffed up not me. Love the sectioned picture of the transmission. :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

Thanks Dadio :D I was debating on modifying things to fit as I felt they should, but figured it'd be best to leave it is as measured. It kills me leaving hole centers at .6235" when I know it should be .625". I did modify a few for mating purposes, but it is generally left as measured.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

That looks awesome!
I noticed that you've even captured the felt gasket between the motor plate and the trans. Very nice work!

I had a copy of SolidWorks many years ago and I really enjoyed using it. That was several laptops ago and I'm sure it has gotten lost at some point.
Anyway, I really enjoy digitizing my RC models. I'm working on an MST MTX-1 monster truck at the moment.

I've found that recreating each part in digital form can provide some insight into the designer's mind -- and yes, sometimes it reveals some mistakes.

Some folks go bowling, my mom does crossword puzzles. I enjoy making 3d models. :D

Do you plan to model another RC car?
Doug

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

That is too kool 8)
Nicely done, and thank you!
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

XLR8 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:56 pm That looks awesome!
I noticed that you've even captured the felt gasket between the motor plate and the trans. Very nice work!

I had a copy of SolidWorks many years ago and I really enjoyed using it. That was several laptops ago and I'm sure it has gotten lost at some point.
Anyway, I really enjoy digitizing my RC models. I'm working on an MST MTX-1 monster truck at the moment.

I've found that recreating each part in digital form can provide some insight into the designer's mind -- and yes, sometimes it reveals some mistakes.

Some folks go bowling, my mom does crossword puzzles. I enjoy making 3d models. :D

Do you plan to model another RC car?

Thank you. I'm sorry to hear that you no longer have solidworks available to you, but sounds like you're making do with something else.

I do quite a bit of modeling in my off time, but also spend quite a bit of time making stuff. Modeling to me is usually just a necessary evil at this point as it eats into my "making stuff" time, but I just couldn't stop with this car. Nostalgic effect or something I guess.

No plans to model any other cars at this time, however, I will be doing the graphite chassis and 6 gear transmission. Oh, and I think I have like 1/3 or 1/2 of an RC10L modeled up. I'll put those up when completed.

Also, I did model my custom touring car from years ago, and a custom 1/5 scale formula car I started building early this year.. I might post those as well.

If someone would kindly send me a YZ10, I'll be sure to get that modeled up too!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

:shock: I've only ever scratched the surface of CAD, because I have to for my job. But I can completely appreciate the time and energy that goes into something like this. And you did it for fun! Well done!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Drawing the bent servo tie rod..... Classic :wink:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

I agree. I'm very impressed by the tires as well. There's so many details in this model!!

A couple years ago, Dadio built an entirely 3d printed Yoke Dogfighter - which was mega-cool.
Someday, I want to build an RC10 from printed parts -- well, at least the nylon parts anyway.
I haven't total the cost but I'm guessing a full set of printed parts is gonna be rather expensive but I'd reckon prices will fall over time as the technology continues to mature.
I'm sure others have done this so it's nothing new but I really want a copy for my collection.
Doug

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

Thanks for noticing the details guys; really makes it worth putting them in there :)

Got the 6 gear done and it's up on grabcad now too. Gonna hold off on the graphite chassis as that car is pretty fully assembled already.

Here's a snip of the 6 gear tranny. It always surprises me how many little parts are in these things.
6 GEAR SECTION.JPG

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

XLR8 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:56 am I agree. I'm very impressed by the tires as well. There's so many details in this model!!

A couple years ago, Dadio built an entirely 3d printed Yoke Dogfighter - which was mega-cool.
Someday, I want to build an RC10 from printed parts -- well, at least the nylon parts anyway.
I haven't total the cost but I'm guessing a full set of printed parts is gonna be rather expensive but I'd reckon prices will fall over time as the technology continues to mature.
I'm sure others have done this so it's nothing new but I really want a copy for my collection.
That would be pretty cool. Are you talking about buying all the parts or making them yourself? 3D printed parts are surprisingly cheap to make and the printers are also surprisingly cheap. I'm only familiar with PLA, but recently bought a roll of nylon to test out. I'm actually having some issues with my pla parts lately, so won't be diving into the nylon anytime soon, but the nylon wasn't that expensive either, really. I've been looking at some of your posts, and have to assume that you already have a printer, right?

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

fbmstar wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:41 pm
XLR8 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:56 am I agree. I'm very impressed by the tires as well. There's so many details in this model!!

That would be pretty cool. Are you talking about buying all the parts or making them yourself? 3D printed parts are surprisingly cheap to make and the printers are also surprisingly cheap. I'm only familiar with PLA, but recently bought a roll of nylon to test out. I'm actually having some issues with my pla parts lately, so won't be diving into the nylon anytime soon, but the nylon wasn't that expensive either, really. I've been looking at some of your posts, and have to assume that you already have a printer, right?
Wow, that 6 gear assembly is impressive. I've never modeled ball bearings before - I always just model them as solids. You obviously have some skill and patience.

So, the issue I have with 3d printers is that I'm unwilling to invest the time to learn how to print with them. I've read a number of posts from the experts here (Jeff and Dadio to name two) and the technology has a steep learning curve.
So I'm happy to upload my creations to one of the commercial printers and let them handle it. They can do a much better job than I ever could with my own machine.
Yes, eventually I will have spent more in printing fees than the cost of a good quality printer but hey, I'm an old man and maybe I won't live that long. :lol:
Doug

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

The problem with home printing is you often have to adapt the design to be suitable for the limitations of the process , commercial laser sintered powder machines don't suffer these limitations and you can make exact copy's of parts but the price is way higher . I copied the Marui Samurai chassis recently and it's a difficult shape for home printing but can be done and would cost maybe £5-10 to print at home but would not be of sellable quality , on my Shapeways shop it costs around £150 delivered and that's probably more than anybody wants to pay .....
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

fbmstar
Approved Member

Post by fbmstar »

Ok, I see you all are talking about different types of 3d printing than I was thinking, which would explain the costs you're talking about. It's all becoming clear, lol.

Just for the record, most of the bearings/screws are from McMaster Carr. I also model bearings as solids and generally if I get a screw from McMaster, I will delete the threads as my computer isn't exactly top notch.

I left the mcmcaster part number in any file that was borrowed from them, so people can cross reference if necessary (although the bearing prices are pretty ridiculous, and not all the screws are verified as the correct ones).

Come to think of it, I forgot to put the E-clips and case screws in the transmission model.... whoops.