Ultima RT5 modernized custom 3D printed chassis.

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

HiTec
Approved Member

Ultima RT5 modernized custom 3D printed chassis.

Post by HiTec »

Started to design an upgraded steering setup, that´s compatible with RT5 chassis plate, but incorporates and RT6/RB6/RB7 style steering bell crank system. One benefit with this is also a simplified service, less parts and simple ackerman adjustability. Its still work in progress state, so dont mind the rough edges in parts. I dont have the new gen parts on my hands, so im pretty much working with the new gen manual and photos.

Edit: This project has expanded to the whole custom chassis, as RT5 suffers from the rear motor configuration in high bite tracks.

The purpose of this project is to:

1: Re-design the front end, so the steering servo position is more towards the front. This isn´t possible without using RT6 style steering bellcranks.

2: For the rear end, im in a middle of re-designing a composite chassis, that is compatible with rear motor, stand up middle motor (4 gear) and also a lay down gearbox (3 or 4 gear). This is a big challenge as the plastic/composite design really isnt meant for this and these Kyosho gearbox designs have been mostly meant to be used with aluminum chassis plate.

Interesting to see how it affects handling. Im sure its going to need some tweaking here and there.

HiTec
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Ultima RT5 3D printed front end "SP1"

Post by HiTec »

Most of the parts are now almost ready to print. I just need to modify steering servo position towards the front.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Adjusted steering servo position towards the front. Its now in the correct position when thinking about the steering geometry. It wasn´t an easy task, because this plastic chassis concept really isn´t meant for this.

The front servo position needs an chassis integrated servo mounts, because there really isn´t enough space for removable servo holders. I designed the chassis to work with either RT5 style front end, or RT6 style front end. So servo can still be installed in the rear positions. To achieve this, i designed a removable battery front wall, that installs to rear position servo holders when RT6 style front end is used. This brace will include an ESC plate, but i havent designed it yet. When RT5 style front end is used, remove the battery brace and install the steering servo to that position.

To get the most out of this updated steering system, i removed the original front wall from the chassis, so the battery can be moved towards the front when the RT6 style steering is used to put some more weight towards the front. When comparing to the original chassis, battery can be moved extra 15mm towards the front, when the servo is in front position and a standard sized servo is used.

3D printing this chassis makes the chassis flex window much more wider(it can be either really flexy or really stiff), so i studied the 3D printed chassis flex to understand where it currenty flexes the most. Kyosho uses fiber infused plastics in its top end plastic chassis. I designed mine to be printed from Carbon Fiber PETG. It doesnt flex much with full sized battery installed, but these newest design changes add flex to the chassis when shorty lipo pack is used. Thats why i designed a adjustable flex plates to the flex areas. 3D print these different sized and thickness chassis flex adjuster plates and install them to the chassis to adjust flex.

Still in a work in progress state, but you get the idea:

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Just for curiosity and delusion of grandeur, i ordered RB6.6/RB7 laydown transmission case. Lets see what can be done with that. Fiddled around with the rear motor configuration and tested swapping it around. Lots of stuff would need re-design if i just simple wanted to use rear motor gearbox with reversed input axle. The simplest way to start including support for rear motor and mid motor configuration in a single chassis is to start from the lay-down concept as that chunks least space around the rear shock mount area and same shock tower location can be used than in rear motor conf.

I threw a quick canvas on the design software to check things out and it seems that it should be pretty easy to add support for lay-down. The canvas is not accurately on scale, it just somewhat scaled.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

This project is starting to turn away from RT5 SP1, but i think its fine. I had to do so many modifications, that the chassis lost is compatibility with previous parts and most of the official parts. It kind of looks like a RT5/RT6.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Heres is how the front end and the chassis looks in rear motor configuration (dont mind the slight offset in some screw locations, those will be fixed in later stage of the development.)

After that, i started to re-design the whole rear chassis to make it compatible with 3 and 4 gear standup midmotor and also laydown gearbox. It´s really extensive re-design and after the re-design the chassis will lose compatibility with RB5 rear chassis plate. Lots of custom parts needed and its going to be a hard task to design it so it doesnt flex like crazy.

I currently have 3 and 4 gear transmissions, the laydown gearbox hasnt arrived yet.

HiTec
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Ultima RT5 3D printed custom chassis

Post by HiTec »

So, after tens of hours of work, here´s how the current version looks like. I dont have accurate idea about the flex the rear chassis has, but im gonna find out when im printing the first prototype from PETG. I suspect theres some work to do on the backend, but now everything lines up and its compatible with rear motor, midmotor 3 and midmotor 4 gears and also laydown transmission and also theres enough space for even longer motors (like Orion DDrive with integrated ESC). Those were the toughest things to achieve.

Dont mind the underside of the car, i havent fixed the shapes yet.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

First prototype of the rear chassis plate and rear section of the chassis printed from PETG. Just confirmed compatibility with all the different transmission/motor combinations. Looks really nice and feels sturdy when all the screws are installed. Much better than i anticipated! The integrated chassis reinforcements work great, so the adjustable flex plates should work nicely as well. I thought about making a completely flat type of floor for chassis, but i ditched that idea quickly, because that doesnt work with 3D printing (would probably flex like crazy and there would be more weak points where the layer adhesion could fail).

Next thing is to make it pretty and then print the whole chassis from PETG/CF and design the final brace for rear motor configuration. Didnt took any pics yet, will post them later.

Edit: Actually, everything looks good, so finished the design and started to print the whole main chassis from PETG/CF filament. Theres no need to print a full sized plain PETG chassis, because its irrelevant as i cannot check the final flex characteristics without doing a full print from PETG/CF. If theres a problem, its going to be an more expensive proto. But yea, its needed, so i dont have a choice.

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

And here are the pics i promised.

3D printed main chassis and rear chassis plate (dont mind the strange artefacts in the rear side of the chassis, i dont know what happened in the slicing):

Standup 4 gear midmotor:

Rear motor:

Laydown:

Print quality was 0.20 layer height with speed settings.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

That turned out really nice! Well done!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Thank you, I like it too! Actually looks at least semi-professional. :) Just assembled the upgraded RB6/RB7 style front end to it, which also fits nicely. From now own it _should_ be smooth sailing and just designing and printing the smaller and easier parts. Cant wait to test it!

Edit: Some test assembling using SC6 and RT5 parts.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

How do the mounting posts & standoffs hold up with 3D-printed material compared to the original plastics, as far as self-tapping threaded parts go?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Nice work, @HiTec !
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

HiTec
Approved Member

Post by HiTec »

Coelacanth wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:02 pm How do the mounting posts & standoffs hold up with 3D-printed material compared to the original plastics, as far as self-tapping threaded parts go?
The first car that i remade in Fusion 360 was Ultima ST EP Type-R. In the first chassis that went to use was the same PETG/CF material that i use now and in design there were lots of self tapping screw points and plastic 3D printed (integrated to chassis) body posts. They held "kind of fine", but after some serious bashing the screws started to loosen up. The PETG really isnt ideal for this kind of use. I have Nylon/CF which would be perfect material for things like this, but it doesnt adhere to my printer bed and theres some serious warping issues as i dont have enclosure for the printer. Thats why i use PETG/CF, because it never warps and it attaches to bed like crazy. This is the easiest material i´ve ever printed.
The first chassis damaged badly on full speed, head on impact to icy snowbank in about -20c (4000kV brushless motor, 60A ESC + 3S LiPo). I broke the integrated front chassis body posts, original Kyosho shock upper mount and original front lower control arm in that impact, but otherwise the chassis was still okay. Thats when i swapped to 5mm od/M3 ID aluminum posts and designed nice pockets to chassis for those. Pockets prevent flex and they also look nice. I use minimum 3mm of printing material between the screw head and the aluminum posts. For 5mm post, the plastic that surrounds it is either 7 or 8mm diameter.

After swapping to those + use of brass M3 inserts in the screw points (that are going to be affected by some kind of force) that i install with soldering iron, i hadnt had a single problem with the parts.

You can see the 2 brass scew inserts that i already installed to chassis in this picture:

Rear chassis plate is one example where these kind of inserts are going to be needed. Expecially when there is so little space (original design is aluminum and there really isn´t space because laydown spur gear eats all the space thats there).

Heres the current rear motor layout with newly designed rear chassis cradle. It stiffens up the rear chassis and ties gearbox, main chassis and rear chassis plate neatly together. I also drawed the rear bulkhead. Some minor work still to be done before printing (removing need for major supports/making it pretty, adding some ribbing for reinforcement etc).

Theres lots of things going on when designing these kind of things. The original design cant be usually just copied, as theres always going to be problems either with printing the part (lots of supports needed) or then the layer area is going to be too small, which will cause failure etc etc.

Edit: I actually realized that i dont have a perfectly clear clue how far i should go with this concept of designing an 3D printed a highly adjustable, mod-friendly and nicely performing rc car chassis. I mean, it would be nice if it had 3D printed gearbox cases etc. Im also fiddling around if i should do a rev 2 from my 3D printed oil filled shock cases. I had an idea of using a copper pipe joining shim or maybe something like a Kar 98 shell inside the 3D printed shock case as a liner to get more smoother shock than just purely 3D printing the whole shock case. I just think that i cant get the shells, because they might be regulated here were i live and even if they werent, im not gonna buy a pack of 100 shells to make 4 shock absorbers, so probably have to look other options. :lol:

But yea, I dont know, have to think about this.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Thanks for the info, HiTec! I'm interested to learn how 3D printing technology is coming along...getting better every couple years!
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3