Another MMS 4wd Concept Car, and an MMS 2wd

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dinglem
Approved Member

Another MMS 4wd Concept Car, and an MMS 2wd

Post by dinglem »

OK, so I got lucky again.

Around a week ago a member of one of the Fb groups I frequent pointed me towards an eBay auction which he suspected might be of interest to me..... it was! The sale detailed an MMS-machined RC10 which, if you have read my thread on 'The Concept Car 4wd' you will recognise the beautiful chassis machining, part of which accommodates a Schumacher 4wd drivetrain.

The car had been reverted back to 2wd format, but still looked fabulous and also still retained the super-sexy and rare Brimod shocks. Interestingly, they were in gold - the only set i have ever seen in that colour. One red set has been posted up in the past, but they are pretty much always silver in colour. I chatted to the seller and explained I have the only known running example of the car in 4wd mode, and he invited me around to his house (fortunately it was only 30mins from me) to view it. MMS were based in the West Midlands, as were Brimod (Wolverhampton) so the fact that the car was still in Wolverhampton told me it was very much a local car.

When I got to the house the guy said he would take a cash offer so that was how it played out, but once we have agreed a price he then said i could also take the other spares and bits and bobs which had arrived when he had himself purchased the car some 2 weeks prior.

I could not quite believe my eyes when he started pulling out bags of bodyshells, toolboxes, rims, tyres, motors, and then to top it all off he revealed that there was in fact another MMS-machined car included. This one was in full 2wd format as it did not have evidence of extra drilling for the 4wd set up and steering. A rare beast indeed. I only knew of one such machined 2wd, which belonged to Jason Varley - another local (superstar) driver to me - which i had seen in an '86 Radio Race Car magazine. This red car was packed full of awesome features and upgrades.... the machining was way more extensive than seen on the Concept Car, with extra lightening taken out of the chassis sides, the nose was rounded-off and so was the rear end around the motor mount.

Both cars are in lovely used as-raced patina, which is exactly how I will be keeping them (although i will return the gold chassis car to 4wd format). I think i am seriously in love with the red car.

It has taken me a couple of days to establish what the ESC in it was, and I will detail it a little later on along with a separate post in the electronics section, but even that is super-cool.

Another amazing part of the haul was the peel-back RC10 bodyshell, which is just insane. I have added a few stickers to it to emphasize just how epic it is, and again I will post up a separate thread about that as i think it fully deserves it.

Also included was a Demon Dart shell - again the only one I have actually seen in the flesh and as such I have arranged for this to me repliacted from this example. They were an option offered by Nick Adams of Demon Power products and Nick actually ran one on his own RC10.

Dotted over these cars you will see a few Hot Trick parts (there is a spare nose plate in the bags of bits too) as well as some funky and very thick Composite Craft/Trinity shock towers, the rear of which houses the motor wires (I have never seen this design previously).

The seller put me in touch with the original owner - i nearly dropped the phone when I called him and discovered he lived less than half a mile from me and actually used to race at the 3 Tuns Buggy Club which was my local club and haunt for all of my time racing. He then sent me some pictures of his car from 1986 and detailed a lot of info. He was friends with Alan Stewart of MMS, and also Tony Britten of Brimod, so it is no surprise he has these rare pieces on his car and also explains the unusual colours seen on some of these items. Real one-offs.

Anyway - here is a quick summary shot of the entire haul as I collected it.
Screenshot_20211110-184615.jpg

And here is the red car as it was in 1986. It came with the towers, rims, bodyshell and proline bumper as seen here. Timewarp!
period shot.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Re: Another MMS 4wd Concept Car, and an MMS 2wd

Post by dinglem »

After a quick wipe down....
Screenshot_20211113-103712_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20211113-103630.jpg
Screenshot_20211113-103647_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20211113-103507.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Your welcome marty it wasn’t a Facebook group lol I’m not on Facebook, glad you got them and can’t believe how quick you cleaned them up👍🏻

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Retro rc wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:40 am Your welcome marty it wasn’t a Facebook group lol I’m not on Facebook, glad you got them and can’t believe how quick you cleaned them up👍🏻
I did wonder where you were messaging me from... HA! Thank you :D

These things are awesome. It just happened that i managed to pick them up whilst en-route to the ship that I work on.... so I have them here and plenty of time on my hands to fill. Hard enough to put these two cars down. They are crying out for some decent wheels, especially the red car. It is also cool that I am now in direct contact with the original owner who bought them and built them and modified them this way.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Some subtle machining differences on the nose plates. Circles and ovals removed, and the upper corners on the red car have also been addressed a little. Lovely details.
Screenshot_20211113-103530_resized.jpg
Screenshot_20211113-103551.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Tail end lightening of the red car.
Screenshot_20211113-103437_resized.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

This is the teeny tiny ESC which came installed in the red MMS car. The original owner said he fitted at during the build and when I saw it I had zero clue what it was. It had rough clear heatshrink on it (the British 'heatshrink ESC era' always gets me excited) so I carefully removed it to see if the underside of the PCB gave any clues.

What I found was 'VF8' stamped on the base, which was in itself unusual as it was exposed copper. It is very neatly built though.
20211112_223955_resized_2.jpg
Any ideas???? Look over in the electronics section on here for more info.

It will be getting a rewire, testing and then will go back into the same red chassis car.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

With a little more digging I have discovered that the Touchtronics VF8 ESC was made in Norwich, but was sold through Penn Models, also in Wolverhampton, so I guess that all ties in nicely with these being very local cars. The original shell on the red car is also a Penn Models Jackal, designed by the shop owner (then and now) Ian Littley.

Here is a mag shot of the only other picture i have of a 2wd MMS-machined RC10, as raced by Jason Varley. The machining (and shocks) matches the spec of mine exactly.
varley.jpg

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

You've always got such cool vehicles, stories and information. Thanks for sharing!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

matt1ptkn wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:27 am You've always got such cool vehicles, stories and information. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, this tasty pair are quite special indeed.

After a little digging... the mystery 'VF8' ESC turned out to be what was marketed as a 'Penn Models ESC'... on sale from 1984 - 1986. The infancy of the FET era. Penn Models was my main model shop throughout my racing days and even I did not know they offered their own branded speedo. A real local find for me - something special (I have never seen another) which will be going back into the red car for further track use 8)
256046722_273841834684316_1843675738531141090_n.jpg

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Looks like you also may have found what the shock towers are on the red buggy in that advert as well.

Look at the very top part numbers 10004 thick shock towers for wide arm rc10 and 10005 new thicker shock towers for rc10

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Yes, I had spotted that. It also mentioned the wide front tower which also came in the bundle of spares. Turns out Penn Models was the sole UK distributor of D&D Graphite parts..... so there is the answer in black and.... er.... orange.
256097355_423331122713316_4966209310237746060_n.jpg

But then saying that, somebody has also sent me this photo taken from an old (very expensive) eBay auction.... so i guess they were also marketed as Composite Craft items.
thumbnail_wide_tower.jpg

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

D&D was the name of composite craft pre composite craft 8)
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

GoMachV wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:34 pm D&D was the name of composite craft pre composite craft 8)
I guess i really should have worked that out..... it is Monday though I suppose.

Thank you GoMachV !!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Just having a quick play-about with the red 2wd car (which is fabulous).... as I am stuck offshore with it so cannot really do too much more to it until i get home. I have a bag of vintage decals here with me so have added a spattering, all old school UK products and shops. I recall countless RC10's looking just like this during my early racing days.

The bodyshell that came on the car (and which also features on a 1986 photo of this actual car) is a Penn Jackal - purchased from the same shop as the car, and the shop owner Ian Littley - himself a top driver on the European circuit - designed that shell himself. As it is an original Jackal i thought it was worth looking at again, hence why i have added a few stickers. The paint isn't to my tastes, but it is a part of the history of this car. The Jackal was designed to be a light-weight and much lower-slung shell than the original RC10 - very popular in the UK in the mid to late 80's.

Other things I have noticed... well everything is very VERY red. Almost a deep burgundy colour in places. The rear cover is a Parma one, as was used on all of the MMS-tweaked cars. It actually also has a slipper clutch on it, as well as the graunchiest, most crackly diff i have ever some across. Definitely going to need a strip and some work there i think. There were some gold Fox rims in the spares so i have thrown those on for now. It doesn't look too bad in this survivor mode 8)
260928042_229011499357403_6121756697859850429_n (1).jpg
261501884_328837638641195_2499213595616072158_n.jpg
261643923_320845566542117_1174161506961542661_n.jpg
261778625_5527070827320495_6479977345325126314_n.jpg
261944421_934249330631409_5875286055868152526_n.jpg
profile.jpg