Have Good News - Please post it here

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

caesar

Re: Have Good News - Please post it here

Post by caesar »

Hi All,
I received some good news today. I’ve been looking for a new home for quite a while now but so far have always missed out or something just doesn’t pan out. Anyway was driving through my suburb of choice and just had a feeling I needed to drive through a particular street and low and behold there was a “For Sale” sign (but not just any for sale sign). A bit of a back story. When we moved to our current home which is about 50k out of Melbourne the wife enrolled in a camera course, which was at someone’s house (that was 7 years ago). Ever since that day she would always comment how she loved the photographer’s house and the street. In saying that she is hopeless with directions or remembering anything related to geography, so I never knew where it was.

Anyway back to the for sale sign. It was the Photographers house. We were on that phone so quick Bruce lee would have been impressed. The agent said the house just went on the market that day. We got some pics sent to us and a price guide which was way over our budget. We were disappointed but it is was what it is. That house would come up in conversation a bit over the next few weeks. One night the wife was browsing through the online real estate pages and noticed a price drop. It was then we just knew it was ours, don’t ask me how but we just knew. Organized an out of time inspection as we couldn’t attend the scheduled open due to been outcasts. The house has been renovated since the wife was there for her camera course, anyway we made an offer and it was accepted. So now I just need to sign contracts etc. and hopefully no hurdles arrive. It’s a smaller house than our current home but it’s on 1 acre of land so plenty of room for chickens and a couple of Llamas.

Cheers
Rob

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

I had major emergency abdominal surgery 3 years ago, and when I woke after the operations (unconscious for the full first month), I discovered my ankles and feet were now paralyzed. At the time, we lived in a small house, and all my RC gear was in my workshop in the basement, where I now had no way to get to it, and definitely no room upstairs to move it to. That house was over 100 years old, nice place, but small for the 4 of us, and very difficult for me to get around in, in a wheelchair. Flash forward about a year and a half, and we managed to find our dream home only about a quarter mile from the old place. Almost 3 times the size of the old place, with a huge basement. After a few months, we were able to install a stair lift so I can get to the basement, which the wife and I agreed I'd use for all my stuff (I have a TON of stuff - several hobbies other than RC). We've been here for a year now, and it's been a lot of work for me moving things around mostly by myself (the wife works a lot, but loves her job) making it all accessible from a wheelchair, but I'm FINALLY almost ready to get back to working with my RC gear. Over 3 years, and I've REALLY been missing it. Basically now waiting on a 4x8 pegboard panel so I can get a ton of hanging stuff off of the floor and my bench. Long time coming, but feels like a win!
While I was hospitalized for 8 months, I was still going through online sales of RC stuff, buying some and having it delivered at home. I've just recently started opening and going through all of those things I ordered, and I don't even remember a lot of it, so it's like an early Christmas! :D

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

All of these posts are great. Great thread.

I just got back from Mexico recently, spent two weeks there for the first time ever.

We try to go once a year, that will be changing as I think way too much time is spent working and not enjoying life.

Life is short, take my advice and do more for yourself.

Every trip we take to Mexico is a 7 day jaunt and never long enough. It was wonderful and relaxing, go spoil yourself.

caesar

Post by caesar »

Hi Again, as per my previous news about moving to a new place, I’m here and absolutely love it, plenty of outdoor space (not so much indoor). Already lost 5kg just walking to the shed and feeding the chickens.
I started to unpack everything and come to the realisation that a few boxes have gone missing.

Low and behold my favourite car was missing, my Yokomo 870c. I checked and moved every box at least 10 to 15 times (maybe that’s where the 5kg went). I drove the whole family mad. The wife was reassuring me that it had to be here but I had this feeling it flew out of the trailer while moving my stuff from storage.

I put a post on the local Facebook community page to keep a look out for any boxes with the below label on it or toy car with pink wheels, and sure enough I got a hit 4 days later. I was messaged with a pic of my yoke by a man who stumbled on my post saying his kid found it riding home from school. Picked it up last night and gave him a reward.

Moral of the story, don’t be a tight arse and spend $30 for a trailer net.

275002010_2044752082387904_3418310085568624485_n.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-07 093038.jpg

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Thats awesome that someone found and returned it to you!

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Just reached the end of a 6 month plan that was meant to be a 3 month plan :?
My house is too small and I have three kids with autistic spectrum disorder so we needed an extra bedroom , the answer was to build a log cabin in the garden for my eldest daughter at home (4th kid a daughter moved out years ago ) , this meant removing an old summer house that was my wife's art studio , all the stuff having to be stored in my workshop , once the log cabin was built my eldest daughter could move out of her large bedroom and it could be redecorated so my youngest daughter could move out of the box room into the large bedroom , this would mean the box room could be the wife's new art studio and a place for all my RC stuff that had been moved out of the living loom after that was also redecorated as well .
It's all finally done , took three months too long but it's finally done , I can see the floor in my workshop for the first time in 6 months , I was stupidly happy taking boxes out of my workshop up the the new art/hobby room , just been unboxing cars and fitting new parts that I've found over the last 6 months , very happy boy today :D
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

caesar

Post by caesar »

mikea96 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:45 pm Thats awesome that someone found and returned it to you!
yep, great community here but I think it helped that they had no idea what it was or that it didn't work :D

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Your lucky it didn't get squashed by another vehicle, and that the people who found it were honest enough to return it. Time to buy a lotto ticket :lol:

I couldn’t imagine your relief when you had it back in your hands.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That is pretty awesome, lucky star alignment that nothing bad happened.

I got a bit of good fun news. My Dad and I got to finally get our 66 Chevelle convertible on the road on Sunday. She's a survivor car that my dad drove in the 80's. Rough but complete and we had a badass donor motor to put in it. He''s in his early 70s so convinced he has just a few good year left. We have his 70 Chevelle under construction so this one we can cruise around. Super fun but the springs are tired so we gotta swap em.

I've been following the roadkill philosophy these days. Looks be damned, get the car legal and driving and fix it up along the way. 😎👍

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

We've got a bun in the oven!!! #3. It's gonna be a wild ride! I gotta find a minivan! That's probably the best part of it. I've always wanted to be a minivan owner! Better start looking for some of that sweet Lee Iacocca cab forward engineering.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:09 am We've got a bun in the oven!!! #3. It's gonna be a wild ride! I gotta find a minivan! That's probably the best part of it. I've always wanted to be a minivan owner! Better start looking for some of that sweet Lee Iacocca cab forward engineering.
Better bank some sleep now and invest in shares in a coffee plantation , congratulations :D we have 4 , it's no harder than 2 just more endurance :lol:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Dadio wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 am
TRX-1-3 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:09 am We've got a bun in the oven!!! #3. It's gonna be a wild ride! I gotta find a minivan! That's probably the best part of it. I've always wanted to be a minivan owner! Better start looking for some of that sweet Lee Iacocca cab forward engineering.
Better bank some sleep now and invest in shares in a coffee plantation , congratulations :D we have 4 , it's no harder than 2 just more endurance :lol:
I had mine young. You have more stamina in your 20's. My youngest just turned 18.

My wife is three years older than me and had two kids when we met. I just spent four days with my stepdaughter's two year old. I couldn't imagine doing that all the time at my age. Maybe its because I treat her differently than I did her parents.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.