Dusty Team Car + Wheel/Tire Qs

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RichieRich
Approved Member

Dusty Team Car + Wheel/Tire Qs

Post by RichieRich »

Hey guys! I moved into a new house earlier this year. Yay! RC stuff is almost done being unboxed. Lots of organizing going on now. Anyway, some of my cars and most of my projects have been boxed up for 2-3 years and are now seeing the light. One of my "finds" is this very dusty RC10 Team Car. When I last worked on it, I replaced all the fiberglass with carbon fiber bits and installed an RPM front bumper.

Anyways, what are we doing for wheels/tires now for these? Right now, there's some 1/4 cvds installed in the rear. I think I may have some 3/16 laying around someplace from previous builds. But is that still the shiz? It seems like everything is hex now. Would hex be better front/rear?
Attachments
IMG_20211230_225310r.jpg

juicedcoupe

Re: Dusty Team Car + Wheel/Tire Qs

Post by juicedcoupe »

If you have the 3/16 stuff, you can use the JConcepts 2.2 wheels.

If you can't find them, you can use Factory Works rear hexes with Traxxas E-Revo wheels and the JConcepts in the front.

This is the Traxxas/JConcepts wheels.
Screenshot_20211114-184631_Gallery.jpg

If you want to do hex fronts, the B4.1 parts are getting harder to find. The Custom Works kit is about the most readily available thing.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Dirtburner
Approved Member

Post by Dirtburner »

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

RichieRich wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:10 am Hey guys! I moved into a new house earlier this year. Yay! RC stuff is almost done being unboxed. Lots of organizing going on now. Anyway, some of my cars and most of my projects have been boxed up for 2-3 years and are now seeing the light. One of my "finds" is this very dusty RC10 Team Car. When I last worked on it, I replaced all the fiberglass with carbon fiber bits and installed an RPM front bumper.

Anyways, what are we doing for wheels/tires now for these? Right now, there's some 1/4 cvds installed in the rear. I think I may have some 3/16 laying around someplace from previous builds. But is that still the shiz? It seems like everything is hex now. Would hex be better front/rear?
The current team car front axles will fit b2/3/4 wheels just fine and give you access to all the new tires. J-concepts make brand new ones for the b4 that are inexpensive. There is a wide variety of used vintage wheels that are inexpensive on e-bay.

Someone notes that there are wheels available for the 1/4 axles. That is the least expensive option for 2.2 tires on the 1/4 axles.

I have a team car as well and going hex isn't worth it yet. It cost about $50-60 to put front hex on a buggy. I did this because I though hex was cool. It was a neat project, but I never ran it like that.

there is a less expensive option from juiced coupe https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=46230

For 3/16 on the rear the custom works short cvd set is about $30 and you will need new bearing in the rear hubs.
This opens up a wide variety of used wheel you can get of ebay for inexpensive in addition to the brand new j-concepts wheels you can get.Taking the rear wheels to hex from here just requires a clamping hex adapter.
I felt this was worth it. It really opened up a wide variety of wheel options.

My team car rebuild thread is here
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=46317 I made lots of mistakes, so this may be good to learn what to avoid as a beginner.

A team car rebuild that I thought was really great was here
https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=46263&start=15

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Looks to be a very nicely appointed car parts wise 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Thanks for all the tips guys. I kind of figured using the B2/B3 set up for wheels and tires would be the solution. I wasn't sure if a full on move to hex wheels had been made. I've been a member here for a while and have several build threads buried in the bowels of this forum. Since everything has been boxed up, I took a rather lengthy vacation from RC10s. I forgot to add that I have a JConcepts protector body for this car too. I'll post updated pics once the weather drys out a bit and I can paint. For now, I guess I'll clean this off with the air compressor and start looking for the other bits I need in my stash. :D

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Guess what!? I found some 3/16 CVDs in my stash! Also, I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT BEARINGS!!! Ugh, I checked the usual sources Avid, Boca, Fast Eddy...who am I missing? They do have some options but I just need the standard $1 bearing not a ceramic bearing for space shuttle use. Also, is the 3/16 x 3/8 flanged a weird combo? Let me know if you have a source.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

RichieRich wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:09 am Guess what!? I found some 3/16 CVDs in my stash! Also, I DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT BEARINGS!!! Ugh, I checked the usual sources Avid, Boca, Fast Eddy...who am I missing? They do have some options but I just need the standard $1 bearing not a ceramic bearing for space shuttle use. Also, is the 3/16 x 3/8 flanged a weird combo? Let me know if you have a source.
You can also try searching FR166ZZ as an industry standard size. They are even on Amazon.

https://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/88/316-x-38-x-18-Flanged-Metal-FR166ZZ-bearings.html
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website