The ultimate Mini JRX2 thread

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RogueIV

Re: The ultimate Mini JRX2 thread

Post by RogueIV »

Got a 2nd JRX2 finally and quickly assembled it into JRX-Pro configuration-ish.

I printed stuff at my fastest settings and well quality and durability suffered a bit and I broke a rear arm on shake down. I'll try again soon.
Image Image

For the front I pulled a set of rear shocks off of my 1st gen mini-t and added a 4mm limiter to the outside to keep it from over traveling. Ultimately the rears should go on the front and some xtra long shocks used for the rear but this should still work fairly well.

Bit of research into Losi is the length they state for the shock bodies are actually the amount of travel they can support.
The original JRX2 uses .6 up front and .9 rear.
The JRX-Pro uses .9 up front and 1.2 in the rear (this was also used on the LXT and later trucks)
The Pro SE model went back to .6 up front but kept the 1.2 in the rear

The Mini JRX is .46 front and .69(nice) rear. this is .766 different then the original

Although they market this buggy as 1/16 scale it seems closer to 1/13scale at least using the shock travel as a basis.

if you scale up the original from 1/10 to 1/1 the rear travel would be 9". Divide that by what the mini has for rear travel of .69 and you end up with 13.04

However if I scale of of the suspension links I get 14.6 same if I scale the front bulkheads (I'm just grabbing random parts i have laying around, i don't have a full car to measure.)

Going off of this is seems they gave the car more suspension travel then it should have scale wise.

more on this later, i require sleep.
Consistency is the key I keep misplacing.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

so a my order from Shapeways came in for the wheels. They came out great!
ImageImage

Also I picked up some premounts meant for the Mini B and debonded the tires from the wheels. fronts were proline wedges and rears were jconcepts sprinters. The front wheels have the exact same OD and width as the JRX wheel, the rears, however are smaller and a tad wider, regardless the tires still fit on the JRX wheels just a slight stretch. Bonus is you don't need rubber bands to glue them on. This is puzzling to me since the original buggy had smaller diameter in the rear as well but for some reason Losi choose to make the front and rear the same diameter on the MiniJRX2. Or maybe these Sprinters are just made smaller, I haven't looked at the stock mini B at all.

ImageImage
ImageImage

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

A little late to the party but here is mine, using 2-56 and 6-32 nylon nuts and a hackfab mini-t oval battery strap cut up and attached to a printed mount.
minijrx2-4.jpg
minijrx2-3.jpg
minijrx2-2.jpg
minijrx2-1.jpg

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

aconsola wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:30 am A little late to the party but here is mine, using 2-56 and 6-32 nylon nuts and a hackfab mini-t oval battery strap cut up and attached to a printed mount.
Sweet, I was about to order some 2-56 nylon nuts to see if they'd work, I guess this answered my question.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

the 2-56 fit but strip easily as the internal diameter is a touch big. I ran the car and they stayed in place for most of the run till it flipped. They look nice on the shelf though.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Damn, I guess I'll go with my other option, and just buy some 2mm nylon standoffs and cut them down.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Starting working on assembling the mini LXT. Going to need to rework the front and rear hubs as there isn't enough meat on them to be durable at the ball stud holes. But its coming out pretty good. I have an idea for the rear axles, hopfully the lhs has some of the parts i need. Also seems that the wheels i had printed don't have the proper bearing hole size and there's still the whole getting a usably body at well. But hey, its a project for a reason! Thanks CLM

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

RogueIV wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:09 am Starting working on assembling the mini LXT. Going to need to rework the front and rear hubs as there isn't enough meat on them to be durable at the ball stud holes. But its coming out pretty good. I have an idea for the rear axles, hopfully the lhs has some of the parts i need. Also seems that the wheels i had printed don't have the proper bearing hole size and there's still the whole getting a usably body at well. But hey, its a project for a reason! Thanks CLM

Looks great - Nice work!

WriteDean
Approved Member

Post by WriteDean »

For those interested - The Mini Nationals sponsored by Losi at RC Madness will be on March 18-19, 2023. There will be a Mini JRX2 class.

Jxke

Post by Jxke »

Would someone be interested in making a motor plate protector and a retro style wider front bumper? Possibly something we can mount a couple weights to underneath.

I’ve got two 3D printers and I’m still learning how to create things. I’ve printed the small bumper and it definitely helps. Since I’ve went 12 turn brushless, my motor plate is trashed from wheelies. I’ve really had to tune it down. A protecting cover would be awesome!

A small wheelie bar setup would be awesome too.

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

Jxke wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:22 pm Would someone be interested in making a motor plate protector and a retro style wider front bumper? Possibly something we can mount a couple weights to underneath.

I’ve got two 3D printers and I’m still learning how to create things. I’ve printed the small bumper and it definitely helps. Since I’ve went 12 turn brushless, my motor plate is trashed from wheelies. I’ve really had to tune it down. A protecting cover would be awesome!

Going to be honest, Kydex is probably a better option for a bumper. I haven't had the greatest luck with bumpers made at this small of a scale.

WriteDean
Approved Member

Post by WriteDean »

I've 3d printed a bumper in a few orientations to try and add strength. They all look good, but do not last long and break fairly easily.
RogueIV wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:11 pm
Jxke wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:22 pm Would someone be interested in making a motor plate protector and a retro style wider front bumper? Possibly something we can mount a couple weights to underneath.

Going to be honest, Kydex is probably a better option for a bumper. I haven't had the greatest luck with bumpers made at this small of a scale.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

WriteDean wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:31 am I've 3d printed a bumper in a few orientations to try and add strength. They all look good, but do not last long and break fairly easily.
What material are you using? Have you tried nylon? It has pretty good bonding between layers but isn't quite as nice of finish. For durability it's not a bad tradeoff.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

WriteDean
Approved Member

Post by WriteDean »

I've use PLA and PLA+. Never printed with Nylon....

RogueIV

Post by RogueIV »

I've done PLA+ and PETG both look good like Dean had experienced but they don't last long. I haven't revisited ABS yet because I'm too lazy to swap filament right now.