Do you display with or without electronics?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Do you display with or without electronics?

Post by TokyoProf »

For the shelf display folks, do you display your cars bare without any electronics? Or do you add just a motor?
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

morrisey0

Re: Do you display with or without electronics?

Post by morrisey0 »

All my shelfies get full electronics, and are in position so that they could technically be ready to run with minimum prep (not that that would happen). The electronics are the heart of the car IMO. Without them, it would be like a museum full of 1:1 cars with no engines or drivetrains. It logically makes no sense to have a RC car [close to] RTR if it sits on a shelf, but it makes sense to me. :D
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I try to add electronics but only if they “fit”. I don’t like to use placeholders, I fear I will miss finding the right components if there is something already in there. Once in a while I’ll upgrade.

Many of my new in box kits also have radio gear and electronics waiting for their eventual builds as well.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Short of a crystal (maybe), all of my comple cars are functional. My TQ10 isn't complete but I have the electronics for it.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

R6cowboy

Post by R6cowboy »

Same, all get full electronics and ready for use. With the exception of a couple that would need to fill shock fluid, but those are meant to never be ran except for an occasional slow stroll around the basement to make sure everything is in working order.
-Jerry-

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I'm a bit torn. I like a ready to run shelfer but I don't like servo tape and how difficulet it can be to remove. I guess I could just use minimal servo tape for a shelfer, but then it really isn't ready to run. For my runners, I try to use 3D printed holders that allow for easy electronics removal.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

For me it largely depends on my goal with the build. None of my shelf queens will ever be run so adding electronics is just a bonus. When I do add them, they have to be from around the year the model came out. Ultimately though, it's nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. :)

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

Not really sure I should comment as mine all get a little run time but I'd say go the whole hog and fit period correct electronics , the only possible exception might be a car that's got a high quantity of alloy parts that have been highly polished or (not my taste but ) complete matching anodised parts that may be obscured by electronics , in that case I might even allow a clear body .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

threesheds
Approved Member

Post by threesheds »

Gotta be a functional runner I reckon. Otherwise might as well be airfix or revell kit. Getting it "working" is half the enjoyment. But I'm not a collector just a dabbler and bodger.
Whatever rocks your boat

GeneralZod
Approved Member

Post by GeneralZod »

The car to me is just not complete unless it has full electronics including the battery. I try to use a functioning battery but am ok with a display only one if I am going with period correctness. I like to have the car ready to charge and go if I want to run slow laps around the office. :D

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I am not a "collector". All of my cars are runners except the Bosscat (long story).

That said, my advice is do what suits ya! For some, the electronics are an important part and I get that. The object is to reproduce the car in all its glory, and that would include electronics.

On the other hand, some might just really like the cars themselves. If that is the case for you, you can have a much more extensive collection for the same budget if you don't spend loads of cash on things that will never get used.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TokyoProf wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:46 pm For the shelf display folks, do you display your cars bare without any electronics? Or do you add just a motor?
I don't have a lot to display, but the non-runners have no electronics, nor paint on the bodies. Basically i haven't gotten around to turning them into runners.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Frankentruck wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:46 pm I'm a bit torn. I like a ready to run shelfer but I don't like servo tape and how difficulet it can be to remove. I guess I could just use minimal servo tape for a shelfer, but then it really isn't ready to run. For my runners, I try to use 3D printed holders that allow for easy electronics removal.
Velcro works good and removes much better than the double side tape. One trick for the servo tape, rubber cement softens the residue so you can rub it clean. Usually takes a few time, but works great.

- limestang

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Lighter fluid breaks down servo tape, allowing it to be removed without resorting to tools. It is also safe for plastics, unlike some other chemicals.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

WD40 gones goo too.
Hope you're doin' something fun.