Building A RB10 From A DR10 Kit

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

morrisey0

Building A RB10 From A DR10 Kit

Post by morrisey0 »

The plan here was to build a kit form RB10. I am just not a RTR fan in general. I don't know the quality of the AE RTR electronics, but I tend to not trust RTR electronics usually. I like to be the one that torques things, adds the loc-tite and grease, and sands off the little nubs that are hitting other things. I just don't trust that these things have been done properly (or at all) with a RTR. I also don't like the body of the RTR RB10, so hope to go more old school with that in the end.

I was hoping that I could build my own at, or even below, the cost of the RTR. Now, with the cheapest electronics and motor I can get my hands on, maybe, but to meet minimum specs of what I want, I just can't beat the economies of scale that a manufacturer has. The RTR sells for about $336 right now, and I figured I was good if I could build my version for about $400 net. My math is making some assumptions and massaging the numbers a little bit, but right now I am $437 gross out, but I am thinking I came regain that some and tweak a little.

So, the base to start with is a DR10 kit. They are available on Amazon for $124. The DR10/RB10/SR10 are very similar in most ways, with each having some specific parts. Remember if you are parts shopping is that the RB10 is a current release model, so there are "choppers" on ebay breaking these down and selling off parts new but cheaper than retail (although check retail prices anyway). The main things needed to add to the DR10 kit is RB/SR chassis, RB/SR shock towers, and of course wheels/tires (which can be any buggy 2.2 12mm hex variety you like). I just stuck with stock RB10 wheels/tires, and my total cost for chassis/towers/and wheels/tires was about $86. The fronts shocks on the DR are also too long, so you need some RB fronts for about $30. This is where I start to massage the math, because although I had to buy front shocks, I will ultimately use the DR front shocks in the future on another project, so I don't mind calling that $30 a wash.

TX/RX and servo can be whatever you like. I use a multi-vehicle Tx so I just need to add a cheap Rx. I have a cheap servo that I also like. Total Rx/servo cost about $36.

For motor / ESC, I went with what I believe is the cheapest 3300kv sensored set up you can get from Hobbywing (10BL60 sensored & EZrun3300kv), for about $78 total. **CORRECTION: the EZRun 3652 is not sensored. It has a temp sensor and port that I mistook for a sensor connection**

That is the basics for the mechanical parts to get you going. There are a few small bits that I already know are different, and may or may not be needed, but I will discuss them through the build.

First pic has nothing really to do with this build, just something new I have been trying ............... organization! A little prep work really does save a lot of time in the build.
RB10 BUILD 1.jpg
Parts needed so far:
RB10 KIT 1.jpg

The actual build is just building a typical AE 2wd buggie for the most part. I am building using the RB10 assembly instructions as reference, and using the DR10 parts mostly and just adding in the RB parts as they are applicable.
RB10 BUILD 2.jpg

The RB apparently uses angled ball cups on the steering outers according the manual, although the part number is the same as the other ball cups. The DR kit only comes with straight cups. It seems to have plenty of steering with the straight cups, but maybe these are needed in the long run for the most steering, who knows.
RB10 BUILD 5.jpg

I didn't have the 3mm CS 16mm screws to attached the rear shock towers to the rear posts in my kit (at least not in the bags used to far), and these show up in both the DR and RB assembly instructions, so maybe just a kit error. Not an issue, have plenty of 3mm hardware around.
RB10 BUILD 3.jpg

You will be missing a spacer used on the RB between two mounts on the rear bumper. On the DR, a body post uses up the space, but without the post, there is nothing. I don't see any reason to go out of the way to put a spacer here.
RB10 BUILD 4.jpg

All was going smashingly so far, until I went to install the rear turnbuckles, and the driveshaft wouldn't go into the trans outdrive on one side for some reason. It appears the be just a completely mis-machined outdrive, not having the tapered lip, and the inside diameter is only 5mm instead of the 6mm needed. I am hoping I can "machine" this tomorrow, as I don't want to put this project on hold for a few days.
RB10 BUILD 6.jpg
Attachments
RB10 BUILD 7.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Re: Building A RB10 From A DR10 Kit

Post by morrisey0 »

This has become a great way for me to avoid the responsible Christmas prep stuff I should be doing right now. :D

So, the mechanical build is done expect the motor and ESC, which should come it today. Oh, and the front bumper, which should also be here soon.

Not a lot of build pics because it is just a standard build. Happy to report that there doesn't seem to be any other parts that I need to fully make this conversion. The only real difference I saw in the build instructions was that the DR filled the diff with fluid, and the RB only gets some black grease. Same diff, just going about it differently.

One little pain is that AE got super stingy with the space allotted to the steering servo. My digital servo, which is basically standard size, was too tall from the ears to the horn mount, and didn't work at all. Even a standard S148 would hit the ball on the bellcrank until I added a couple of orings. I also didn't like the slack in the top shock bushings, so added a couple of orings to them also. Oh, and the RTR front shocks that I got were leaking (these would have never been run), so I added thicker orings to the caps and so far they are all leaf free.
RB10 BUILD 8.jpg
RB10 BUILD 9.jpg
RB10 BUILD 10.jpg
The "Protector" body was a no-go once I cut it to standard lines (got a little rushed), so it went to storage for a future build. A Protech body fits much better, and I think will actually use the stock front body, and rear wing posts with no modification. The wing is another story at this point.
RB10 BUILD 11.jpg
RB10 BUILD 12.jpg
RB10 BUILD 13.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I think I figured out the wing mounting situation. My cheap set of 3mm brass standoffs have saved me numerous times on all kinds of projects. There are not a lot of threads for the set screws on there, so their longevity is questionable, as the set screws will have to be screwed out / in / out / in every time the body is taken off and put on. But I think if I don't torque them much, they will be okay for at least awhile. And they took like 5 minutes to build, so if they wear out, replacements are easy.
Attachments
RB10 BUILD 14.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Seeing as this car was a Christmas gift to myself, it seemed fitting it finished up on Christmas Eve. :)

One of the main goals in this build was to make a RB10 that didn't look like a RB10. In that regard, I think I was successful. I have a couple of loose ends to finish up, but it is 95% at this point.
Attachments
RB10 DONE 1.jpg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

That's a sweet build! Nicely done!
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

That looks great. Any reason you can see why one couldn't drill the front carriers out for a 1/8" hinge pin to adapt to some RC10's and Jrx2's. They are all over ebay as complete assemblies with carriers, hubs and axles for like $20 to $25? Could be an easy option?

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Why is there a cutout on the front edge of the wing? Just curious. Was the wing originally going to be mounted lower?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:55 pm Why is there a cutout on the front edge of the wing? Just curious. Was the wing originally going to be mounted lower?
This may sound weird, but it had to do with the rigidity of the material, and trying to bend that front edge out to insert the wire. :roll: The body came from a repop shop in the UK, and to be honest, after comparing it to a Boki Protech, the quality was simply not as good, and that is why it was chosen for this runner instead of a nicer future build. The wing is the same ~1.0mm as the stock (and Boki) wing, but the exact PC seems to be much more rigid, and I really had to torque on that thing to bend it far enough to insert the wire, and then I was gouging the wing with wire, and it was just a PITA. I figured after painting, if I tried to mount it all with the front edge, it would have been a mess. I probably could have spent a few minutes and come up with a rational plan to get this done correctly, but the idea of it being a yard basher popped in my head and just cutting the obstacle out of the way seemed the easier way. It wasn't the right way, but it was the way right then. :D

nullandvoid

Post by nullandvoid »

Thanks for posting this.
As it happens I have a DR10 shelf queen, as no one around here that I could find does no-prep racing.

The chassis and shock towers were dirt cheap. I'll be using a Protector body and the team b6 shocks. I'll post an image when it's done.
I've not raced in decades so I'm pretty excited to get this mutt on the local carpet track and humiliate myself.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Just a heads up too, tower has the dr10 team kit for $99 right now and you simply can’t beat that price!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

GoMachV wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:20 pm Just a heads up too, tower has the dr10 team kit for $99 right now and you simply can’t beat that price!
One ordered. Thanks Jeff!!

This kit is the base of the DR/RB/SR 10, and the only way to get any of them in kit form. I read a thread on this forum earlier this week about a member with a SR10 that tore the vehicle down to parts just to rebuild it correctly. At $124, it was a great deal, at $99 just order it even if no plans to use it.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »