Turbo Optima Re-Re Transmission

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sundevil67
Approved Member

Re: Turbo Optima Re-Re Transmission

Post by sundevil67 »

Thanks; got that fixed up. I posted another one here trying to duplicate the sound, but it wasn't as apparent as when I used reverse. It's not the transmission problem that's making it slow, but the combination is really making the whole Turbo Optima experience a lot less enjoyable than I'd hoped. I think I've rebuilt the thing more times now than I've actually run it, and I'm getting very close to throwing in the towel. It's definitely slower than the last time I ran my old Turbo Mid SE using a NiCD battery & a decades-old brushed motor.
Coelacanth wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am Your first video with the straightaway is mis-linked; it actually is the Kyosho ESC website.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

i need the “DUH” emoji for real .. so the bearing that goes inside the spur fell out at some point & disappeared… and i was driving without it. Still can’t find the bugger, but found an extra & took a test drive … tranny humming along beautifully. I had a ball zipping around the block, though still not enough zip…

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

So now that I have the tranny & belt drive all humming along nicely, I can focus on the speed. I've watched a few videos online and just read a story where someone with a 13.5T motor & 2S (vs. my 15.5T motor with the same battery) is complaining about pulling wheelies too easily & it being much too fast. I'm finding it hard to believe 2T would make such a dramatic difference, but can't think of any other reason I'm so much slower. My R/C budget is pretty tight right now so if I have to replace the motor, I want to get it right, but I'd like to see what a different spur gear would do first. The only place that seems to have this one is eBay...at $43, it feels pretty overpriced... y'all think it'd really help not look like a street sweeper on a track with modern 1/10 buggies?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Kyosho USA is out of stock, which means unless you find someone sitting on one they are going to be high until availability is restored. The price on the kyosho USA website is $12.99

https://www.kyoshoamerica.com/OTW126-MCN-Spur-Gear-51T48P-for-BLS-Motor_p_24991.html
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

silvertriple
Approved Member

Post by silvertriple »

Yeah, there is a lot of demand for those OTW126...
They appeared in stock in September, I had two on orders since July, I got them mid September. And apparently, they disappeared from the inventory in Europe in a week or so. And I believe there is some speculators out there, as they re-appeared at vey high price on ebay later on...
I buy kits to build and ru(i)n them :-)

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

I've been looking for stock of OTW126 spur gears too, I found US stock for $55...! :lol: :lol:

I tried the UK too but still no luck (although I did find a Turbo Optima body which is coming my way! :D )

I remember the days when RC was about the building & driving not investing in hard-to-find parts so you could mark-up parts by 400%!! :roll:

Good luck with the search, I'll let you know if I turn anything up.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Still on the hunt for one of these... and hope no one pays this kind of money for a used one, supporting this kind of shameless gouging, but apparently Kyosho America has discontinued it. There appears to be a new version with a "B" at the end of the part #, but right on brand, they list zero tech specs & nothing in the "compatible kits" area.

The 3S battery helped some, but my Turbo is still far slower than it should be. This gear has the right pitch/tooth combo, but I'd still like to hear someone using this version on this car without any trouble with fitment before I order one & pull the tranny apart.

Thanks for any shared experiences...
USAPaulo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:44 pm I've been looking for stock of OTW126 spur gears too, I found US stock for $55...! :lol: :lol:

I tried the UK too but still no luck (although I did find a Turbo Optima body which is coming my way! :D )

I remember the days when RC was about the building & driving not investing in hard-to-find parts so you could mark-up parts by 400%!! :roll:

Good luck with the search, I'll let you know if I turn anything up.

Sprocket
Approved Member

Post by Sprocket »

I think the B is supposed to be for the black color. I’ll let you know if it works as I picked one up.

sundevil67
Approved Member

Post by sundevil67 »

Sprocket wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:16 am I think the B is supposed to be for the black color. I’ll let you know if it works as I picked one up.
How did this go? I just got an email from Amain saying they had this in stock, but apparently they do not, and it's been officially discontinued. My Turbo is definitely still too slow.