It's Top Cat time!

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

1911Colt
Approved Member

Re: It's Top Cat time!

Post by 1911Colt »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:43 am Does the U7600 pro transmission upgrade also fit the old TC? I snagged one assuming yes but maybe should have asked first.
Yes, the pro transmission fits perfectly. The only mod you have to make is to drill a hole in the gear cover for the slipper adjustment. The side plate, motor plate, bearing housings, bearings, and eccentrics are all re-used with the pro internals. The pro diff drum, belt, and layshaft are different pitch than standard, so don't mix and match those bits with standard.

You can mix and match the standard re-re transmission bits with the standard original transmission bits, just not pro and standard.

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

As luck would have it, I ended up with a 12x2 in my Top Cat as well! :lol: We will both have to use our trigger fingers judiciously :lol:

I couldn't pass it up for just $5. I didn't know the wind when I bought. Like your pink can, the white one will work well with my paint scheme, so it stays.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Unexpectedly, Pinky's litter mate came available. I really wasn't looking to get a 2nd Top Cat, but thought I should take it in on the off chance that I need one because there's a sudden Schumacher apocalypse. Apparently not everyone is drawn to the extreme level of weirdness that the Top Cat has, and that's ok.

After a little sticker work the yeller one came out looking presentable enough for my standards. It also got a Speed Gems Sapphire added to plug the hole. Not quite the flamethrower that Pinky has (*narf!*) but I didn't order a pro transmission upgrade for the yeller one that I didn't own at the time of ordering.
PXL_20230303_220418110.jpg
PXL_20230303_230829813.jpg
PXL_20230303_230858076.jpg
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

I never met a Top Cat I didn't like! Those 2 look to be in really good condition. Feel free to post loads of pictures :D

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have a fleet of Top Cats instead of just 2. :lol: Managing spare parts would be so much easier.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I like the OEM body, but I'd like to know if there are any other body options in case there's something I would like even better. I would expect the Cougar classic body to also fit since it shares a lot with the Top Cat. Anyone know if the Cougar 2 and Works, Cougar 2000, etc bodies might also work?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Cougar 2000 is a no go. Cougar and cougar 2 would fit but the front of the body wouldn’t work so would have to be cut off the cougar and left off the cougar 2.

Frewer did a body called the underdog back in the day and now a company in the Uk has the original moulds

https://landlmodels.co.uk/products/underdog-by-frewer-racing-schumacher-top-cat?variant=39316025311275

Shame there isn’t a painted mounted pic there though

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Very cool option! Underdog for Top Cat? 🤣 They had a little fun naming that one.

Retro rc
Approved Member

Post by Retro rc »

Frankentruck wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:00 am Very cool option! Underdog for Top Cat? 🤣 They had a little fun naming that one.
Yup Kevin Frewer has an interesting sense of humour, mind you he is a kiwi after all😂. His hand built tooling and machines are pretty impressive too! I was lucky enough to get a tour of his setup many years ago.