QUICK QUESTION

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

sbednara
Approved Member

QUICK QUESTION

Post by sbednara »

Does the original 2.25:1 stealth transmission just bolt in the 6-Gear tranny hold pattern on the gold chassis? NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED?

I've got a B stamp Championship Edition with the 6-gear. Dont want to drill the chassis. Looking at buying a stealth bc i want to run a faster brushless motor.
RC10 Championship Edition
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: QUICK QUESTION

Post by XLR8 »

sbednara wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 pm Does the original 2.25:1 stealth transmission just bolt in the 6-Gear tranny hold pattern on the gold chassis? NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED?

I've got a B stamp Championship Edition with the 6-gear. Dont want to drill the chassis. Looking at buying a stealth bc i want to run a faster brushless motor.
No. Unfortunately different screw size and different pattern.
Doug

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Doesn't the B stamp chassis have both the 6 gear and 2.25 stealth hole patterns?
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Yeah B stamp has the right holes. You should be fine.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

Appreciate the responses guys. Unfortunately its too late. The auction ended just after the first response. At least now I know for next time.
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

sbednara wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 pm Appreciate the responses guys. Unfortunately its too late. The auction ended just after the first response. At least now I know for next time.
I'm really sorry about that. I don't own a B stamp and wasn't aware they were holed for both transmissions.
So, we've both learned something new.

Edit: As it happens, there's a B stamp posted on ebay at the moment and an included photo clearly shows both sets of holes. I didn't notice this before. :oops:

rc10 b stamp.jpg
Doug

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

sbednara wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 pm Appreciate the responses guys. Unfortunately its too late. The auction ended just after the first response. At least now I know for next time.
Stealth trans are posted up often. The key is finding a complete one in good condition for less than $100. Your 6 gear will handle brushless and 2S if you have it built correctly and it spins freely. You may need to replace white idlers with black or metal.
The official TX SKUNK

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I actually find myself building 6 gear cars more often. For some reason, I find it more satisfying.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

The reason for the “B” was the stealth trans. You may also find earlier “AB” stamps as well.
Your good with a “C” as well but not always for a 6 gear.
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

I'm not looking for a shelf queen. Just want something decent brushless system in and really move. I'll prob keep looking for a stealth or maybe I'll just go with one of the new JC racing tranny cases. but for right now I think I'll just rebuild the 6 gear. pulled out the J Halsey tranny tips write up and I'll see how far that gets me. however that said, I may need a new brushless esc/motor. first and only experience, I had recently bought a cheap goolrc 3500kv. put it in this car, thinking I was going to run it til the 6gear blows up. unfortunatly seems like the esc needs to be adjsuted or something. delayed responses, motor had no power, no torque. dissappointing. i thought these combo's were plug and play. maybe I need the programming card...?
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Happy Easter everyone. “He is risen.

FWIW, I’ve been running this 6-gear short arm car with a Reedy 3500kV on 2s since around 2016…
P1010430.JPG
…and the only transmission related problem came when the idler gear shaft E-clip broke. Apparently, the broken clip has allowed the shaft to rock in the spine plate resulting in stripped black nylon idler gears. In addition to the gears, the spine plate had to be replaced since the idler shaft hole had become elongated. I believe it’s possible that a worn spine plate actually caused the failure.
failed gear.JPG
Anyway, I've made a replacement 2-part idler shaft from steel that is screwed to the plate. Since the repair, the car has completed several hundred laps and so far, it is holding together.
new shaft.JPG
I reckon it’s easy to overlook the spine plate and E-clip and identify the nylon gears as the transmission's weakest components but the plate is soft aluminum and easily distorted and the bowed clip is essentially a spring that really doesn’t provide a positive lock holding the idler shaft tightly to the plate – certainly not as tight and secure as screw threads. Maybe a weak plate and a springy E-clip actually create the conditions for the nylon gears to fail.

A 6-gear can be made to endure brushless power but your most reliable option is to replace it with a Stealth trans or something similar.
Doug

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

That is a really trick mod. Support for those gears will absolutely prolong their life.

Elkcycles
Approved Member

Post by Elkcycles »

sbednara wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:33 pm I had recently bought a cheap goolrc 3500kv. put it in this car, thinking I was going to run it til the 6gear blows up. unfortunatly seems like the esc needs to be adjsuted or something. delayed responses, motor had no power, no torque. dissappointing. i thought these combo's were plug and play. maybe I need the programming card...?
The GoolRC combos are pretty gutless. The finned can 3500kv (blue) is basically a 380 can in a 540 shell size. The orange can 3500kv is a 540, but lacks a lot. The Hobbywing 10bl120 is a good basic esc, and coupled with a Surpass brushless 13.5 or 17.5 turn motor is a good setup for less than $90.

sbednara
Approved Member

Post by sbednara »

XLR8 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:48 pm Happy Easter everyone. “He is risen.
This gives encouragement. Appreciate the info on the 6gear. makes me more optimistic about the limits I can push.
Elkcycles wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:04 pm The GoolRC combos are pretty gutless. The finned can 3500kv (blue) is basically a 380 can in a 540 shell size. The orange can 3500kv is a 540, but lacks a lot. The Hobbywing 10bl120 is a good basic esc, and coupled with a Surpass brushless 13.5 or 17.5 turn motor is a good setup for less than $90.

always good to hear experienced feedback even if its disappointing. perhaps I had my expectations a bit high for cheap electronics. chalk this up as a learning experience as i'm finding out how cheap/lower quality components translate into poor performance in the vehicles. that said i def think theres a difference between cheap and less expensive. I guess i'm looking for less expensive parts. Definitely appreciate the recommendations on motor/esc. I'll take a look.
Tekin Rebel ESC
Fantom Motor

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

jwscab wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:42 pm That is a really trick mod. Support for those gears will absolutely prolong their life.
Thanks!

A tiny amount of blue thread locker applied to each screw then, using a couple new hex wrenches, twist both screws together very tight so everything stays put.

I have the GoolRC 3500kV combo as well (the non-finned 540 can version) and while it provides more power than a typical stock 27t brushed motor, it's not as fast as the Reedy 3500. Probably best suited to a light 2WD buggy with taller gearing.
Doug