Tamiya full option Tiger tank

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Tamiya full option Tiger tank

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Here is the crown jewel of my RC collection. This is an extremely modified Tamiya full option Tiger tank. For those of you into WW2 history, this tank represents one of the German Tigers that fought at Villers-Bocage, one of the most famous tank battles of all time. I chose the number and model of a tank that actually existed, but no photos of it exist, that way I could have a little freedom and build it to look the way I wanted, instead of replicating a photo.

To start with, the Tamiya Tiger is an early production model. All the tanks at Villers-Bocage were mid and late production Tigers. To make this a mid-production tank I took the command's copola, zimmermit, and C-hook from a parted out Tiger 2 model. I moved the headlight over to the side and made it detatchable so it's out of the way when I battle. I added extra tracks to the turret, and used about half of an Aber set to super-detail the tank. I didn't use all the super-crazy micro details, mostly because I didn't have the patience to deal with them, and I wanted to not be totally terrified to actually drive and go into battle with this tank. It's got the brass skirts, exhaust covers, metal rear flaps, metal tow cables, screens, and a bunch of other details added. I scratch built the vent on the turret. It's got Kenny Kong metal tracks, and an aluminum chassis plate to strengthen and stiffen the chassis.

The figures are kit-bashed from about 4 different 1/16 German tank crew models. I didn't want the standard recognizable model figures on this tank. The commander is Michael Wittman, Germany's greatest tank ace.

I know there's a ton of stuff I've already forgotten that I did to build this tank, but you buggy dudes are probably already getting bored with the details, lol. All I can say is I spent a lot of time researching and building this tank, and it's one of my most prized possessions. I have battled with it, and it was fun, but now it mostly just sits in a glass display case.8)

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.....ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz..... Just Kidding, how could you not appreciate the realism and the detail.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Awesome. The detail is amazing. Very nice job on that one.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

very nice job, could you please post some details of the inside? wouldl be great... :wink:

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

very very nice. i could stare at that all night
beautiful.

if interested in wwII i have some rifles from that era
http://www.beard.freaksho.net/
check the m44 / k31 / m24/47 / m1 garand
RC10 Team

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Thats a fantastic job you did on your tank. People who haven't built one of these don't understand how much times it takes to complete one. I built the lower chassis of my Pershing in about two days but the upper hull took a week.

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

beardxxxd wrote:very very nice. i could stare at that all night
beautiful.

if interested in wwII i have some rifles from that era
http://www.beard.freaksho.net/
check the m44 / k31 / m24/47 / m1 garand
Ahh a C&R guy. Very nice! That reminds me to get my damn C&R FFL application sent in.

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

JR wrote: Ahh a C&R guy. Very nice! That reminds me to get my damn C&R FFL application sent in.

dont kid yourself.. just go for an 01... do a couple transfers and couple guns for family and friends over the 3 years and you can usually break even..

PS start buying AR lowers like mad... the dems are coming

heres some nonsense with the 8mm and wasr (ak)
http://beard.freaksho.net/data/etc/movie/8mmAK.wmv
RC10 Team

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

beardxxxd wrote:
dont kid yourself.. just go for an 01... do a couple transfers and couple guns for family and friends over the 3 years and you can usually break even..

PS start buying AR lowers like mad... the dems are coming

heres some nonsense with the 8mm and wasr (ak)
http://beard.freaksho.net/data/etc/movie/8mmAK.wmv
OT:

Heh Im ok on the AR's for a bit. Actually Ive got 2 LMT lowers(One a M4gery A3 flat top 16" M4 profile barrel, and other complete lower no upper), one of which will be SBR'd hopefully by the summer, and Ill pick up a can for it too. Also for an 01 FFL you need to have a storefront, have store hours and act like a gun shop for approval. ATF no likey the guys using a FFL to better personal collections. :(

BTW nice vid. Gotta love the buttery smooth action on them old rifles. hehehe. Aint like the new rifles. :P

Also Melvin that is one bad ass tank!

beardxxxd
Approved Member

Post by beardxxxd »

JR wrote: OT:

Heh Im ok on the AR's for a bit. Actually Ive got 2 LMT lowers(One a M4gery A3 flat top 16" M4 profile barrel, and other complete lower no upper), one of which will be SBR'd hopefully by the summer, and Ill pick up a can for it too. Also for an 01 FFL you need to have a storefront, have store hours and act like a gun shop for approval. ATF no likey the guys using a FFL to better personal collections. :(

BTW nice vid. Gotta love the buttery smooth action on them old rifles. hehehe. Aint like the new rifles. :P

Also Melvin that is one bad ass tank!

sbr's: i dont think are worth it.. look into ur local laws.. its like having a full auto.. soo many restrictions and in reality, most people will defeat a rookie full auto perp with a semi if they have practice. store front and hours.. its as easy as having one web post stating ur hours after work till 9pm.. and putting a sign on a basement door.. Joe blows gun's. register with BBB and your golden. BTW im a STAG/CMT man. now $200 stamp for a can.. ya its worth it..

right now, except for being inside work and actually being in the shower.. i have a SA XD .40 on my hip always.. you being from NH and all... (live free or die) do you carry? what is the weapon / caliber of choice? i do my part, i fly a culpeper flag on the weekends.

ok ok .. nice freaking tank!
RC10 Team