10t2 vs t4

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bikerbob

10t2 vs t4

Post by Bikerbob »

Hey everyone,

I am running a T2 - though I am in the middle of a Transmission rebuild. The T2 transmission runs different then those before it, or after... not sure why they changed some parts.. but oh well.

Anyway.. I am looking to run lipo and a 9t brushless in this. So weight will change.

I wondered, how much lighter is a T4 over the T2... will changing battery over to lipo hurt the T2 ? or help it.. as it is a centre line battery it will not effect the L/R balance.. but maybe lighten it up.

Any thoughts?

James

carloco8

Re: 10t2 vs t4

Post by carloco8 »

The T2 transmission has the same ratio as the T4. It uses the same size diff gear. You can even use T4/B4 factory team lightened outdrives; Add a T4 top shaft and slipper setup and It'll be completely modernized. The only old part you'll still need is the idler gear, the one with the gear molded on the shaft. Brushless/lipo......no problem. Weight wise, the T2 is heavier than the T4.
Old school racing all the way!

Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

One thing I found interesting was that the top shaft on the T2 uses spacers (seems like this is from the GT2) that no other steath tranny seems to use.

Now if I decide to modernize the transmission, I think I will still need the spacers because this is more a function of the cases right?

But really.. if I wanted to go the T4 tranny route.. could I not just buy a complete T4 tranny off of Ebay or something and bolt it right in?

The T2 does not use a top support for the transmission, so I just dont use the top support from the T4.

James

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

The T2 top shaft spacers are slightly thicker than normal axle spacers, AE part #7669. When going to the new slipper/top shaft, just substitute the old top shaft for the T4 top shaft. Don't worry about the T4 top shaft support spacer, but be sure to use the stock ones from the T2 (#7669). A T4 trans case won't fit properly in a T2.
Old school racing all the way!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

There's really no reason to put a t4 tranny in your t2, internally they are the same for the most part
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

If you're worried about durability, then don't be too concerned, I ran my T3 with a 5.5 brushless for some time, and it never broke the tranny. :wink:

As far as lightening the chassis, yeah, the t4 is lighter, my t4 w/ electronics, is still lighter than my RC10T without electronics (servo,ESC,motor,receiver)

If you're gonna use a T2 with a 9.5 and lipo, you should be able to hang with the T4 with no problems, it all depends on your skill set.
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Bugle
Approved Member

Post by Bugle »

The B2/B3 trans uses those spacers too, guess it reduces the load on the bearings placing them further apart, but who's ever busted a top shaft bearing on an original stealth?

My T2 weighs about 1900g in race trim, definitely benefit from lipo as it was released back when cells weighed alot less than the current nimh cells.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

NIce to see you back Bob. Iv'e gotten some use out of the car i got from you. Been too busy to make it out to the track, but I hope to have updated pics soon.

I have a T2 as well. The biggest difference in weight will come from the chassis. Aluminum vs the composite/CF that the T4 uses. My guess though its not much and that if you go with the lipo/BL setup in a T2 and a std batt. and motor in a T4, it would likely be very similar.

MOmo

Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Well the place we run in indoor offroad on carpet, and boards under for jumps etc.

My t2 has rpm arms all around.. which helps on some of the landing indoors.

My transmission parts are in tomorrow.

Front wheels are an issue though..

If I go from steering stop to stop.. the ball cup rubs the inside of the rim.. slowing or stoping the rim its touching.

The steering has a couple of shims under for bump steer. But I am wondering if specific T2 front rims are required.

I think I am using Duratrax Evader rims, which are supposed to be a direct knock off.. What about later.. t3 or t4 front rims.. can I make them work? will they give me more space?

We run HARD Schumacher tires - block rib on front and pins in the rear.

James

Weave
Approved Member

Post by Weave »

What kind of ball cups are you running? I like to run the RPM cups, but on the 10T/T2 I have to run the original associated style (much less material than RPM) on the out board steering tie rod location - due to the rubbing you are describing. I have actually had the RPM ball cups pop off of the ball stud in multiple races due to the force from rubbing the wheel.

PUNMAXXRCFX

Post by PUNMAXXRCFX »

Hi . i got a rc10t2 with a sidewinder 5700 kv and its super fast . what i did to bullet proof my truck its i got the Robinson racing ( rrp ) metal diff gear and metal idle gear made for the rc10gt " the rc10gt and the rc10t2 tranny gears r exactly the same " . second i put rpm arms , bumpers ETC... . this mods will make ur truck a stronger truck that will be able to handle almost any brushless system . this mods that i mention they r not available for the t4 . in my opinion the t2 its a better truck to go extreme brushless than the t4 . i got a post on this site of my truck name ultimate rc10t2 . i got there a link of a video that i post on youtube , u will see the speed that my truck runs with different types of batteries .