Frog build with the kids

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Re: Frog build with the kids

Post by MelvinsArmy »

PBR Allstar wrote: Kinda funny when he does drive it though he brings it in and treats it like a total shelfer, blows it out with air, cleans the tires and touches them with armoral and back on his bookcase.
I did the exact same thing when I was a kid. Ah, who am I kidding, I still do that! Well, minus the armoral, I don't want to lose any traction. I have the canned air, chip brushes, the whole nine. 8)

Nice rat. :lol:

Good post. Nice to see the wee ones learning about the old school stuff. Also good to know some kids like things besides video games these days. 8)

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok- the wife is away hanging a show and we were left with specific chores. Guess what we did? ;)

Radio gear installed:

Front tires assembled and mounted:

Rear tires assembled and mounted:

After a little discussion dad was asked to trim the body and they have come up with a plan for paint... each one will get a side to complete. My son is a lefty so naturally he wants the left side... same logic for my righty daughter. :lol:
The idea is to tape off one side of both the driver and the body and let them each come up with a scheme. This should be interesting. :shock:

The build was a lot of fun. My daughter commented that when you open the box it looks like so many parts that it will never go together, but following the steps was easy. My son was tickled that it could wheelie on the carpet! We're trying to plan a trip to the closest indoor track when they have a day off school; maybe during their February break.

Side note: the Tamiya directions are fantastic, but on step 25 the bag label above the parts is switched, i.e. it calls for bag BA and the part is BD6. Other than that one hiccup neither of my kids had a problem following the manual. They were both concerned at the beginning because the diagrams were B&W and they thought they might not be able to make sense of it. Not an issue.

Off to quickly do chores.... :wink:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

civilguy wrote:Ok- the wife is away hanging a show
Hanging an art show?

Looking good. I really want to get one of these to race at the 09 vintage nationals.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Hanging an art show?
Yes, my wife will be completing her art degree this spring. She's participating in a collaborative exhibit at another local college and is actually a presenter at the opening next week. http://www.unh.edu/diversity/mlk_celebration_photo09.html
MelvinsArmy wrote:Looking good.
You haven't seen the paint yet. :lol:
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Ok- this took forever once the kids got back in school after Christmas break. They're on February vacation now and tomorrow we're going to the closest indoor track (90 minutes or so) for an afternoon of play. I figured I'd get a few pictures before it had any runtime. ;) The kids say they want it nude, so no stickers for now. :roll:
They picked a line down the middle-- my daughter's is a pink zebra and my son's side is white lightning. The "W" is for Warriors, a book series he's heavy into right now. When we painted the driver we mixed up the left & right, but they both agreed that it's kinda cool that way.

Jeff