Tecnacraft "Nice Set of Wheels" Ad

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

drbelleville
Approved Member

Re: Tecnacraft "Nice Set of Wheels" Ad

Post by drbelleville »

NO I do not believe he was a fraud, I think he had good intentions and was really looking into getting the ball rolling once more, thats all.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I think he found out as others have that this would be a losing proposition. You would need to commit a lot of money in the hopes that you would be able to sell them.

DW911
Approved Member

Post by DW911 »

shodog wrote:I think he found out as others have that this would be a losing proposition. You would need to commit a lot of money in the hopes that you would be able to sell them.
Thats very true i bet....especialy with trying to sub out the work....very interesting thread though, it sure brought back alot of memories for me.
It's probably a bad thought but "china" is the only place these days that could afford a small batch of runs to suit his needs. I do really hate the state of North American Manufacturing :(
I wish him the all best though.

3beancrispy

Post by 3beancrispy »

hey folks, new to the boards (1st post) but not new to RC10's ( bought my caddy new in the 80's ) nor machining. I am Production Manager at a small ( 10 lathes, 1 mill ) CNC machine shop and can get machining time at reduced cost for 'personal projects'. I would love to take a shot at reproducing some of these old wheels (accordingly marked as repro's out of sight). I have 'reverse-engineered' my stock rims ( hopefully have some aluminum jellybeans in the next few weeks), and could probably come pretty close on the authentic patterns, but i saw in an earlier post that there are prints ? are these distributable? would like to take a shot at quoting them if at all possible, or just making a couple prototypes to see how it goes. Hopefully it's not too auspicious of a first post!

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

3beancrispy wrote:I would love to take a shot at reproducing some of these old wheels
I think this is the only way a few sets could be reproduced. It would take a machinist with the love of the sport to take on a labor intensive project like this.

3beancrispy

Post by 3beancrispy »

My hope would be to make a few 'prototype' sets of the same flavor, a couple for me and a couple for some of you guys who have the real deal ( for feedback ).after making any changes that need done i could buzz out a couple dozen sets in a good saturday shift and appease the masses! not looking to open up a wheel business or anything, but if i go through the programming and setup work i would want to run a few dozen sets minimum.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

3beancrispy wrote:My hope would be to make a few 'prototype' sets of the same flavor, a couple for me and a couple for some of you guys who have the real deal ( for feedback ).after making any changes that need done i could buzz out a couple dozen sets in a good saturday shift and appease the masses! not looking to open up a wheel business or anything, but if i go through the programming and setup work i would want to run a few dozen sets minimum.
Sounds great. I think you would have a few takers here - Lohas have repro'd the tecnacraft wheel in a limited way and reading the threads on this board there has been some interest (I purchased a set). There's no way you'll make much money from it, but if you do repro them to a limited extent you will definitely have some interest from readers on this board. Subject to quality and price, I for one would definitely be interested. Perhaps you could consider going further than just buggy wheels and repro Blackfoot/Clod wheels too? You may have a problem getting hold of the drawings - I don't believe Joe has been on the forum for a while now. You could try pm'ing him and see if that yields a response...

3beancrispy

Post by 3beancrispy »

so rather that peel the tires off of my son's evader i've decided to go ahead and order myself a nice fresh set of rims to model the outer dimensions from. I'm guessing a b4 rim would be an ideal candidate ? don't want to guess on what i think the dimensions should be, eager to put my hands , or calipers, on something modern !
progress has been slower than i like as i've been putting the spare time allocated into building up/rebuilding my goldpan. it was my mid-80's cadillac that i had butchered so bad i cannot bring myself to post the pics. i'll blame it on teenage angst! bought a 'parts car' cheap on ebay and ended up with a slightly used, mostly complete edinger. so now the focus turned to it and getting it in decent shape. i went ahead and nabbed another 'parts lot' that includes a couple pieces i need to redo my caddy but still waiting on it to arrive. i would say that my wife and children are worried, but they're used to me by now :) will definitely have to have the wheel project going better in next few weeks as spring is just around the corner, and my old knobbies are knobby-edged slicks now

matt in PA

GoldRush
Approved Member

Post by GoldRush »

FordPSD wrote:
snellemin wrote: They were around 140 shipped and wife didn't let me hear the end of it. :lol:

You did it all wrong. By the time I get done using tact, diplomacy and compromise with my wife she's just about ordering them for me!
i do the same with my wife :lol:
do you think its a bad twilight zone episode for team associated to be re producing a buggy from yesteryear that is capable of beating their latest and greatest production buggy?