New to me RC10T ****UPDATED 1/23/12 RESTO FINISHED****

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10T

Post by victor_cathedral »

looks great, ill take a stab at those odd parts,.. blue triangle thing is some modified body mount location ? extra super strength shock tower re-inforcer ! lol idk :lol: the other things look like a sort of wheel adapters but i really dont think that is the case. im grasping at straws here, until a real pro with untold years of hobby experience reveals the answers.

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

victor_cathedral wrote:looks great, ill take a stab at those odd parts,.. blue triangle thing is some modified body mount location ? extra super strength shock tower re-inforcer ! lol idk :lol: the other things look like a sort of wheel adapters but i really dont think that is the case. im grasping at straws here, until a real pro with untold years of hobby experience reveals the answers.

:lol: Hey thanks for the stab at it. Looking around, I really don't think either part is actually "for" the truck.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Whoa, that bad boy has perfect MIP shock bodies!! Very envious 8) The blue thing is a transponder mount- and the front adapters are for using a narrow wheel, but bringing the front
end out some- That bad boy is a perfect period correct race truck, with all the old tricks in the trouble areas ( outer rear ball cups replaced by heim joints for one ) the natural aluminum 4/40 screws in the right places- and the front tires were great cut the way those were BITD- That truck gets better every time I look harder at it 8)

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Whoa, that bad boy has perfect MIP shock bodies!! Very envious 8) The blue thing is a transponder mount- and the front adapters are for using a narrow wheel, but bringing the front
end out some- That bad boy is a perfect period correct race truck, with all the old tricks in the trouble areas ( outer rear ball cups replaced by heim joints for one ) the natural aluminum 4/40 screws in the right places- and the front tires were great cut the way those were BITD- That truck gets better every time I look harder at it 8)
Wow man, Thanks for the info!

Why I'm not new to rc's, When it comes to the Associated, I feel like a newbie. :? :)

So I take it the MIP shocks were a desirable upgrade? 8)

Another question....Do you know of a part # or link to the specific rebuild kit for the shocks?

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

Blue piece is probably a transponder mount for racing.

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

skunk.werkz wrote:Blue piece is probably a transponder mount for racing.

Yes your correct.
Charlie don't surf wrote: The blue thing is a transponder mount
I have no need for that on there.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

dave00beer wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Whoa, that bad boy has perfect MIP shock bodies!! Very envious 8) The blue thing is a transponder mount- and the front adapters are for using a narrow wheel, but bringing the front

So I take it the MIP shocks were a desirable upgrade? 8)

Another question....Do you know of a part # or link to the specific rebuild kit for the shocks?
Yes and no, they have a very cool factor to some-( myself included) and they pre-dated the new Hard Anodized shocks by a year and a bit- they are however bottom loading shocks, and other than the circlip they use the same internals as regular AE shocks

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Cool truck, it reminds me of my first 10T (except for the MIP shocks).
The MIP Shocks are cool but not better than the AE, IMO, I like them any way.
You also have some white RPM ball cups and RPM body mounts.
The Novak T-4 is period correct (same I had), but the duster is newer.

Nice grab.
:D

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Dammmmnnnn! Thats a great lookin truck for the price. I'd given $60 shipped for half that lot! Very nice hopups but not over the top and I like the MIP shocks also but I'm not a period correct type of guy but like the 'aftermarket affect' they give it. The paint job is great in the better pix with just the right amount of old school simplicity to make it look good and not over the top again. IMHO you got a helluva deal on that truck Dave. Definitely a great platform to start with for a vintage resto or a vintage runner with parts to resto later...got to head out and start trolling 10t trucks again :lol: .
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Thanks Todd,

Yeah a buddy of mine was over last night and he was wanting it pretty bad.

Then the $$$ offers started flyin out of his mouth once he heard the price I paid. :lol: He started offering up trades with cash,etc.

Told em no not for sale....well for the right price anything is :)

Guess the 10T was his pride and joy when he was younger, and after a move across the US a few years back it somehow got left behind in his attic. I seriously thought he was gonna cry. :lol:

victor_cathedral
Approved Member

Post by victor_cathedral »

aww :(

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

dave00beer wrote:Thanks Todd,

Yeah a buddy of mine was over last night and he was wanting it pretty bad.

Then the $$$ offers started flyin out of his mouth once he heard the price I paid. :lol: He started offering up trades with cash,etc.

Told em no not for sale....well for the right price anything is :)

Guess the 10T was his pride and joy when he was younger, and after a move across the US a few years back it somehow got left behind in his attic. I seriously thought he was gonna cry. :lol:
Well now is the time to get a T as the prices are pretty good at the mo ,
He should be able to get a roller ,runner , anything between $40 -$80 maybe hook him up then you have someone to bash with :wink: and being part of this forum how could you go wrong before you know it you will have 20 worlds cars and go to rc car anonymous three times a week 8)

Paul

dave00beer
Approved Member

Post by dave00beer »

Hey guys,

Little update on the 10T,

Was able to start the tear down today, Got just about everything stripped down, all the white parts will be scrubbed clean and then will go into a H202 bath/soaking, My only problem is winter doesn't wanna leave Michigan, Early in the week it hit almost 60 and all the white stuff was gone, Now today we get hit again theres at least 6 inches on the ground right now and still snowing. :x

So I'm thinking of getting a UVB bulb and fixture and possibly doing the H202 bath in-doors? (not sure how efficient it will be?) I still need to break down the wheels, and a shock rebuild is needed. Transmission guts look great and all the bearings seem flawless!

The chassis has been throughly cleaned and all sticky residue of vintage servo tape removed. I did notice a "extra" hole that had been drilled in the side wall of the chassis that was covered by some elec tape. Kinda bums me out, but it is what it is. I cant believe how "light" these chassis's are, its amazing.

Now I was thinking of having the chassis blasted and then powered coated? Do you guys know of a ball park figure of what that would cost? Or maybe I'd just be better to strip it down, do some sanding and just paint it myself?

The chassis is a "B" stamp is this the everyday normal letter stamp for this?

Well I guess thats about it for now, I will update when time allows, I gotta do a bit of research in figuring out my in-door H202 bath, And look into price on the powder coating.

Heres a few pic's of the 10t's current state.

Dave

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Dave,
The H2O2 bath indoors will work out with the same results as natural sunlight. Not sure if it will take longer or not but you'll get the same results anyway.

The extra hole was done to adjust the servo throw. Sucks but if you are painting/powdercoating then you can just fill it with some jbweld or something like that and it will be hidden after the finish. Either that or a well thought out sticker can always cover that too. I would find a powdercoater around you locally and then hit the internet if you can't find one locally. There are some guys on this site that have alot of it done so they can pry give you a ballpark figure if they see this.

Yep, b stamp is a common for these chassis.
A side note and I think you allready know this by other discussions but you don't want to do the H2O2 wash to any of those RPM parts...they get nasty.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

dude :shock:

that looks so sweet, thats one of those deals i would love to stumble upon for sure

going to post this on urc as well? thye've been seeing a lot of vintage restos on there as of late and it would be awsome to see that there as well :mrgreen: