Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special (Conversion) Build :)

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

murphy3428
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special ? Build

Post by murphy3428 »

Here is the parts listed on the box
Attachments
000_0005.jpg

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

I actually drove mine back in -97 in swedish championship
It had lazer suspension and associated gold shocks since those where shocks i had laying around
Tekin 410K and an LRP DTM something the wind was 18D i just had the stock pinion so with the 2.2´s and fuzzies on all four corners it was really fast on the straight.
Oh forgott it had yellow 5 spokes and an matching flourecent yellow plastic wing.

Think i have an picture some where

mvh Isobarik

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Which came 1st the conversion kit or the complete kit? I no some manufactures came out with the conversion kits prior to the actual kits probably to estimate the interest in a new kit before production. My conversion kit was produced in 88 when was the full kit introduced. Here is a full kit chassis that just sold on ebay the seller had it listed incorrectly http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=200589812012&si=lXWTVJfQIBu3o%252BIyTaD0Npdcvro%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

The chassis in the original post looks to be Optima Mid Custom Special (with the aero body). The chassis on the Turbo Optima Mid Special has Carbon Fiber pattern.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Bimdapogs wrote:The chassis in the original post looks to be Optima Mid Custom Special (with the aero body). The chassis on the Turbo Optima Mid Special has Carbon Fiber pattern.

Yes the complete kit car does have the pattern but the conversion kit doesn't and mine was a sealed kit thats what makes me think the conversion may have come first then kyosho improved the chassis when it went into complete kit form or maybe they decided the cf wasn't cost effective to sell with the conversion kit thats why they went back to the aluminum chassis with the optima mid custom

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

murphy3428 wrote: Yes the complete kit car does have the pattern but the conversion kit doesn't and mine was a sealed kit thats what makes me think the conversion may have come first then kyosho improved the chassis when it went into complete kit form or maybe they decided the cf wasn't cost effective to sell with the conversion kit thats why they went back to the aluminum chassis with the optima mid custom

You are right, the convention kit came first. I got mine from Kyosho long before I went to Australia for the WC. And I still have that car as I raced it Australia. :D
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Hcp22 wrote:
murphy3428 wrote: Yes the complete kit car does have the pattern but the conversion kit doesn't and mine was a sealed kit thats what makes me think the conversion may have come first then kyosho improved the chassis when it went into complete kit form or maybe they decided the cf wasn't cost effective to sell with the conversion kit thats why they went back to the aluminum chassis with the optima mid custom

You are right, the convention kit came first. I got mine from Kyosho long before I went to Australia for the WC. And I still have that car as I raced it Australia. :D
What is the chassis material on yours does it have a pattern in it? or do you have any pics

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

Yes I have...
bild1.JPG
bild2.JPG
bild3.JPG
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Lars was this chassis from the conversion kit or the full kit? Because mine is different the kit pcs in my nib conversion kit is a much finer weave maybe kyosho ran out of cf :lol:

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

It’s from a convention kit from the first load that came to Sweden, and I have to check if its carbon strait though when I get home. Kyosho did lot of carbon/glass fiber sandwich and black glass fiber parts. Carbon fiber was rather expensive at that time…
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Well... From what i can tell i have a conversion kit (or part of it), and from the looks of it they had CF and Graphite chassis in them. Originally i planned to build this car with Yoke wheels and platinum shocks but after thinking a little im going to make it a close example of the Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special.

I have a set of Day-glow Yellow wheels, Gold Shocks and a repro Turbo Optima Mid Special body with decals.

What did the Turbo Optima Mid have for front axles (Dogbones or universals) and gears (gear diff or ball diff), The conversion kit states its to convert a Turbo Optima Mid.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

Front uni's and i believe balls diffs as well . I have one as a runner and I love it ! Keep us posted , cool thread !

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Well I think I figured out why nvxwax and my chassis are different than the other chassis look at the top left corner of my kit box mine and nvxwax are re engineered for 7 cell set up I never even noticed that until now I wonder if any of the full kits are for sevin cell.
Attachments
000_0001_00.jpg

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

murphy3428 wrote:Well I think I figured out why nvxwax and my chassis are different than the other chassis look at the top left corner of my kit box mine and nvxwax are re engineered for 7 cell set up I never even noticed that until now I wonder if any of the full kits are for sevin cell.
Nice catch, I think you are correct, I noticed during the build of my chassis it only had one location that i found for the upper deck support. The other one normally sits partially in a battery slot.

This opens another question lol, I will have to find a diagram to see if the second post is left off, moved ore is the upper deck redesigned.

The Orange chassis is alloy

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Here is some more pics of my chassis and top plate also the directions that came with the kit including the 7 cell build sheet
Attachments
011.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
004.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG