The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Re: Scorpion Will Sting Again - 1983 Racer Style

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Thanks Lars. Here's the actual race. From the Competition Plus issue I have:
17 Crop.jpg
I should put the whole thing over on the vintage race report board. It's pretty neat. And I have a theory on the shocks, that they are AYK Bison or Buffalo related. Don't know for sure ...yet.
- Brian -

My Gallery

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Got the body dressed and cleaned up a bit. Note if anyone has an opinion on a silver lexan paint with REALLY fine (almost imperceptable) mica flake, I'm all ears. Seems like today, the silvers that I've looked at have a deliberate flake in them and won't work for me.

- Brian -

My Gallery

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Y'ernat Al wrote:Note if anyone has an opinion on a silver lexan paint with REALLY fine (almost imperceptable) mica flake, I'm all ears. Seems like today, the silvers that I've looked at have a deliberate flake in them and won't work for me.
Pactra's plain-Jane Indy Silver from a rattle-can might work; I've used it to back color paint and it's a very fine metallic.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I have a Pactra Indy jar, but I will see about a rattle can. Thanks C.

Got a front shock solution. I know the rears will be Kyosho Big Red's, but it the front I wanted something period correct, and rebuildable/functional/tunable, as this is a runner, and (a potential classic class :mrgreen: ) racer.

I found these, intended for the front of an AYK Bison (Super Trail), an early 1980's, SRB-esque pot metal monster. The neat thing is that they are threaded and easy to mess with. I just had to lose the You-G like adjustable piston. and just lathe my own down to about 8mm, a bore I'm not used to seeing. And the springs they came with are a bit stiff. I had some cut up old green-gold ones that feel ok at this point.

Here are the instructions, for giggles. I know later on Paranoia got into diffs and gears and stuff, but these are something I've never seen, so I figured why not. Love the "use any commercially available motor oil", and the brass hardware. Takes me back... :D

- Brian -

My Gallery

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

LOVE the vintage Paranoia dampers :mrgreen: I dd know there was any after market or upgrades to the ayk, then again I don't know much about the ayks. I like the dampers design, the brass screw cap from the bottom and the screw tensioning of the springs. These look very scale like indeed. Would love to see how they look. Do you have only one set, for the front? What about the back?

these are what I got a few months back from ebay. These are ishipla monster shocks, same dimensions as the kyosho shocks but the bottom spring retainer is aluminum and its got threaded spring adjuster.
Attachments
ishipla shocks.jpg

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

ron wrote:LOVE the vintage Paranoia dampers :mrgreen: I dd know there was any after market or upgrades to the ayk, then again I don't know much about the ayks. I like the dampers design, the brass screw cap from the bottom and the screw tensioning of the springs. These look very scale like indeed. Would love to see how they look. Do you have only one set, for the front? What about the back?..
Just had one on ebay. I knew I needed the front (shorter shaft) version anyway.

The back of this cars going to a pair of the red Kyosho CB88's. I did figure out how to re-build them too, so I'm set.
- Brian -

My Gallery

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

Could you give me the link to the ebay listing on those shocks, or have they already sold?
Yes those CB-88s came on the 1/8 circuit 20 buggies like the datsun fairlady and rowdy baja. Man you have good taste, nice choice of shocks, I myself love those CB-88s too. Love those brass cylinder ends. I would prefer it to not have a coil over spring around it, but just stand out as a damper, man it looks scale like that way. It would also go well with crawlers too. Those are expensive and one the many rare items I am looking for.

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I bought the Paranoia pair a week or so ago. That was all the seller had up. "Auctions!" was the name of the seller I believe.
- Brian -

My Gallery

ron
Approved Member

Post by ron »

You got them for a fair price, considering they are NEW and RARE. From the package, you really can not tell how the shocks would look like :!:

Keep us updated with the progress, I would like to see how the CB-88s look on the scorpion

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Got the front tires together this afternoon. Got the Proline 5 ribs that started it all. I had a set of thes on my Super Champ back in the day. Note that they never fit the wheels too well because there is a lot more rubber molded into the bead area than the regular "Smoothie" tire..that is until you dremel Tamiya's center plastic piece into two parts, making a ring like the old Kyosho (and first RC10's) had. I just used the (black oversprayed) ones that came on the car...

- Brian -

My Gallery

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Got the front end mocked up last night. I want to run this, and want to be able to control it, so I could resist re-fabing the servo saver in anticipation of a mg servo. Glued the plastic, trimmed, glued and drilled some black frp onto the arms, drilled it out to accept 3/16x3/8 bearings. With a 3/16 brass tube sleave around a new mounting screw, I got a firm steering setup that has a little better clearance, angle and ackerman imo:

Oh and btw, some of you have probably noticed the odd way the RCH rear tower accepts the rear cage, requiring that it be bent at an odd angle. I don't think I'm going to accept that fit and will be drilling my own holes :shock: in my NIP :shock: :shock: tower.

- Brian -

My Gallery

Hcp22
Approved Member

Post by Hcp22 »

I have done the same update on my steering and it works grate and I got rid of the entire bump steer.
Attachments
Vonats Kyosho Tomahawk R 99 a.jpg
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

I guess grate (actually it would be great :wink: ) minds think alike Lars. That's good to hear!
- Brian -

My Gallery

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If you have enough room for those mods, I wonder if you could just screw on a steel or carbon plate, attaching it at the center hole at the front and those 2 mounting holes I see on the underside of the black plastic shell, then drill 2 holes in the plate and mount a typical ball-raced bellcrank like the A & L or the alloy kind I fit onto my Optima Mid project? 3 mounting points instead of 1 would lend greater durability for sure, but I have no idea on the clearance. If someone wants to donate me a Scorpion, I'll find a way. 8)

Nice mods by both of you, by the way. :)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Hcp22 wrote:I have done the same update on my steering and it works grate and I got rid of the entire bump steer.

You've yet to show us any of that Tomahawk right? Holding out for a Vonats surprise are ya? That steering and this are all I've seen of it I think..

- Brian -

My Gallery