Turbo Inferno parts needed in US - So Cal

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Skaiend

Re: Turbo Inferno parts needed in US - So Cal

Post by Skaiend »

Thanks for the continued info. I can't seem to find my wrenches for this car. Is there a kyosho tool kit for this car? Also, is my cracked cylinder head an easy replacement to find? I presume I need to replace it since it's cracked? I dont want to damage either of my Ron Paris competition motors, since Ron died many years ago and these were pretty rare/expensive when I bought them.

With regards to grease for my diffs, I had a zip lock bag with a small container of clear grease that was so thick it wouldn't pour, but after all these years, it has leaked out. I seem to remember I used different grease for the center diff, bit have no recollection of what I used front and back... any advice on what I can buy today would be great.

So do you think this car looks like an MP3 ? Or is there a non turbo MP4 that this could be?

I want to use your wicki page to start to find the actual part #s I need, but I dont want to order parts for a non compliant fit...

I'm picking up a reciever 6v battery today do I can drive it. Once I take a spin with it, I will start taking it apart to fix, rebuild, etc.

As for my memories and how to rebuild it, I frankly dont know what to do. I think I want to keep it period correct, make it functional, and take it out and race it locally here in So Cal. I'm sure I will get smoked by the newer cars, but I just want to have fun. I need a hobby that will keep my competitive juices flowing.

Today is hopefully my big day so wish me luck. Do you think I can run it for a short time if my diffs are dry? Or is that a big nono in your mind?

Skaiend

Post by Skaiend »

I guess to add to my thoughts, I would like to find the remaining hi performance parts for my car that are period correct, and make it as bitchin as possible, then run it and have fun....

When I'm done with this project, I have a Mugen I think I want to resurrect from the ashes. I robbed the engine and electrics out of that car I think i have most everything else including the original manual...

Skaiend

Post by Skaiend »

I found this green wing in my spares, do you think this is correct? What about these green wheels?
Attachments
15866263085737217196185129091023.jpg

Skaiend

Post by Skaiend »

These wheels...
Attachments
15866265341075287430891908371365.jpg

Skaiend

Post by Skaiend »

Lavigna, here is a picture of my brake discs. I seem to remember these disks were a big deal. Do you concur?
Attachments
15866268938181446825272456443594.jpg
15866267990607690742836317371247.jpg

Skaiend

Post by Skaiend »

Another question regarding oil, could these bottle be my diff oils?
Attachments
15866272722112399922856991573009.jpg

Lavigna

Post by Lavigna »

Lexster76 did a great job of answering your questions regarding the model variations, and grease VS oil in the difs. You should go back and read his reply, his links, part numbers, and look at the photo of the dif variations. These are the differences that determine MP3 or MP4. When you open the difs, use this info to determine what you have, and therefore what product to use for reassembly.

The crack on the cooling head of your engine is only cosmetic. Feel free to run it as is.

I believe the brake disc is a non Kyosho upgrade. I have one like it, but I'm not sure of the brand. I don't think I would consider them a "big deal" but I could certainly be wrong. It happens often.

The green wheel in your photo goes to a Mugen. The green wing appears to be correct for the Turbo Inferno.

I'm sure Kyosho makes some sort of tool set, but nothing specific to this model. The stock hardware is mostly Phillips head. However your stainless steel hardware set will likely be hex head. There are some specialized tools needed to disassemble/re-assemble the engine. However most of the wrenching on the rest of the car will be done with a screwdriver and hex tools. I'm sure you have these in your garage. Investing in a quality hex set from MIP or similar will go a long way to making your build time more enjoyable.

It would be cool if you can find the original box and stuff to the car. I believe Lexster76 posted a link to the manual earlier in this thread, and that will give you all the part numbers and assembly info you need.

I don't believe the steering arm was broken. The design incorporates a servo saver. I would guess the glue was put there to lock out the servo saver, and therefore sharpen up the steering.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

This is a great reminder of what gas buggy was like around me. A lot of guys wanting the kyosho stuff but ended up with the OFNA stuff since kyosho was super high priced. You could get a rtr OFNA for what a kit kyosho cost so it was a no brainer for the dutch based area I live in :lol: .

keep up with the pix and updates. As Lavigna stated don't feel you pix aren't up to this board since there are those that appreciate a well used r/c that has character...and yours is up to that. Cool story and gotta give kuddo's to the honesty about the addiction situation. There are some of the same kind of guys around here with a little different addictions...R/C!

I do look forward to seeing your updates. Wondering if you cracked open the diffs yet? With all the parts not original they might've gotten replaced at some point in time making for thefact you actually do have the silicone diff lube.

Lavigna has a couple beautiful inferno threads so hoping you are checking those out. They've been my highlight in the kyosho section for awhile now. Gave me the inspiration to pick up some mugen and kyosho parts lots up to work on mine.

As far as the parts wants on the open forum we really don't do that here. Kinda a thing about security for the members. You can look it up in the forum rules if you like but its no biggie. I edited that content...nothing personal so please don't take It that way. Nothing can be said about pm'ing stuff but beware and be safe about it.

Also, good to see another 'old guy' around here... 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

lexster76
Approved Member

Post by lexster76 »

Lavigna wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 pm Lexster76 did a great job of answering your questions regarding the model variations, and grease VS oil in the difs.
I don't believe the steering arm was broken. The design incorporates a servo saver. I would guess the glue was put there to lock out the servo saver, and therefore sharpen up the steering.
Thanks for the compliment!
As I have not driven these cars competitively I hadn't thought of that approach with the servo saver. Very interesting, and essentially a similar effect to using stiffer bushings on a regular car. Learned something new today. :)
Current collection can be viewed here. https://flic.kr/ps/3guKZY

I am the initial author of the Kyosho Burns and Kyosho Inferno pages on Wikipedia. Please help to keep these pages up to date and feel free to translate them into other languages!