Wore out Gold Pan Bronco Buggy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

66sprint6
Approved Member

Re: Wore out Gold Pan Bronco Buggy

Post by 66sprint6 »

Took the Bronco Buggy completely apart, broke out the Rite dye and boiled up some parts for the Bronco Buggy and the Mutt. First time Ive messed with this stuff, and other than the steering parts Im extremely pleased with how everything turned out!!!

Bronco Buggy in pieces

I had JUST enough time last night to put the front together and put together a 6 gear tranny.

I debated not dying the parts cause I was growing fond of havin the oldschool gold and white goin on under the body, but now Im actually really glad I did it. I think it looks tough and will look better under a full body. Not only that, but its gonna be a runner, beater basher rig so itll clean up a bit easier. Tonight I hope to take a bit more time and get closer to finishing the chassis and suspension up. Then I can figure out the finer details, dogbones, electronics etc.

Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

I got the rear mostly finished this evening.

Looks even better now, and its starting to excite me more and more. I cant wait to get it running and try it out. I need some screws so I will be looking into that and then Ill continue from there. The Body is gettin some work done as well, hope to have all the holes drilled for the new mounts and then Ill look into painting it. Got a ways to go till then tho!
Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

How did it clean up ??? The body ??? Was it hazy ???? Nice rig...Where did you get that crazy rear body post ????
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Since I have to glue the fenders back on the body from the inside I decided not to finish stripping the paint and will paint the outside like my other scalers. I have a courier body that I have stripped 3 times now and it does come out a tad hazy but not enough to effect the look once painted. The body post comes from an axial scx10 with a Jeep body.
Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Got the hardware needed to finish bolting up the rear suspension and trans so she's a roller again :lol: Ive also figure out my front body mount issue, altho Im thinkin I will have to put together a brace to make it a little more sturdy but for now itll do! I used some body mounts and brackets from an Axial SCX10 kit, cut them to sit at an angle and screwed them onto the ends of the shock mounting screws.

Adjusted the rear height and screwed it to the rear shock tower.

This should be about where I want the body to site height wise!

Like mentioned before, Ive abandoned fully stripping the body and will simply sand it down, paint the inside black and paint the outside the color I want it to be. Im thinkin tan and white but we'll see. I also plan on putting together some simple inner fenders and add a few other small scale touches. Im gonna hit up the LHS and see if they have any dogbones that will fit this sucker, then I have a traxxas ESC coming and will put one of a couple motors I have layin around in it to make it a runner. I cant wait to drive this thing around...hopin itll be fun!

Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) COOL 8) 8) 8) 8) The black dye job looks real good...Can't wait to see the finshed product...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

Russ Winn
Approved Member

Post by Russ Winn »

It's coming along pretty nice. You won't be sorry about dying everything. White looks nice, if you're building an original shelf queen, but lousy if you're running it.

If you use lexan paint on the outside, it'll have a flat finish. You may want to get some spray clear sealant for ceramics. It's made for that kind of paint, and will help protect it a bit.

-Russ
The older I get, the faster I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGKBTUJ-L0

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Yeah I paint my scalers on the outside and love the mat finish. It'll be a mat tan and white I believe! I usually paint the inside a copper/rust color and outside whatever color I want. Then when it scratches it looks rusty.
Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Any changes ???

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

HA! I was just jumpin on to say that I have the body in paint as we speak. Like I said before, I decided to scrap the idea of stripping the body entirely and just started cleaning it up for paint. The inside has been painted and the outside is cleaned and waiting on me to mask it and paint it. I think Im gonna scrap the tan and go back to blue with a black top. I want to keep it simple cause I know its gonna get abused (like all my other scalers lol). Ill post pics later when I get some paint on the outside and she starts lookin like somethin!
Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Ive also got a set of dogbones on the way so if they fit, I will have this thing running shortly. Cant wait to see what kinda mess this thing is runnin around :lol:

Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Cool...All my projects are waiting on parts also...

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Well...Im an idiot :lol: I measured the width of the new dogbones needed, ordered em up and when they came in...they were identical to the stockers. I measured again and got an entirely different number than what I ordered and Im left scratching my head on what the heck I did lol. Ive got my new measurements and am ordering the new bones today. Hopefully they will be a little better! On a brighter note, I finally got ahold of some masking tape and got started with the paint. I didnt strip all the inside paint and since I was considering goin tan on the outside I tossed some fiery orange on the inside bits that I had stripped in order to look like rust. I then painted the inside of the top which I had successfully stripped with black. For anyone wonderin if brake fluid stripping hazes the finish, check out the black top. Once you toss some paint on it looks perfect! ANYways, I then started waffling on paint color...should I go tan, or back to blue? I decided either way to paint a layer of the fiery orange on the outside so that the final color would be uniform...and I kinda dig what I got!

I still have ALOT of detail work to do, but Im almost thinkin I might leave it this color. Its slightly darker than the gold of the pan but looks pretty wicked I think!!! Im gonna figure out between this color, tan or blue and then finish off the detailing the best i can. It wont be perfect, but I plan on abusing this thing so itll be ok. Once I get some dogbones in I hope to get it together enough to drive and see what its like!!!

Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

I think it looks great...Nice job...You just had a brain fart with the dog bones :lol: Measure twice , cut once...It happens to us all...

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Sad thing is...I measured a couple times then ran the number thru Google to convert to MM and was pretty sure I had the number I needed. HA, yeah right. I measure the exact same way I did last time and got a totally different number. We shall see, got some 45mm dogbones on the way, see how close that gets me. Cool thing is, I now have some good spares for my vintage runner should i ever need em!
Matt