Wore out Gold Pan Bronco Buggy

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

66sprint6
Approved Member

Wore out Gold Pan Bronco Buggy

Post by 66sprint6 »

GoldPan #2 just came in...and, like I was suprised how clean and well oiled the other one was when it showed up, Im equally surprised at how tired, broken and dirty this one is. I didnt pay much for it and knew the arm was broken, so Im not worried. Regardless, Im thinkin this will be the perfect donor for a WOIN build or even a Sand Buggy build. Here she is when how I got her.

Well worn tub and nose

Missing dogbone

Old School Electronics

In pieces

Dirty white parts lookin for some Simple Green

Broken parts. Not many, Broken front a-arm, broken steering piece and the rear shock tower is warped.

Any way to fix this or is it trash?

Rusty metal parts. Any good way to revive these screws or do I need to look elsewhere. Is there a good, complete screw kit available?

After cleaning it all up Im gonna look into what the next move is. Again, Ide LOVE to put together an old school, new tech buggy to run around the track for fun and Im also eyeballing a Sand Buggy build. I have one last goldpan coming which I believe will be in better condition than this so Ill have 3 buggies to mess with. Im still gettin to know these things but Im enjoyin em so far! Thanks for any help guys, Ill keep this thread updated!

UPDATE: After seeing that this was the roughest of the 3 GoldPans I received I decided to make this one a Baja style, Sand Scorcher-esk build. The entire reason I got into Vintage RC10s came about after seeing people convert old GoldPans to SandScorcher bodies and I thought it was cool. Now Im enjoying restoring one of my new Rc10s, building the other up with more modern parts and recycling this one so it will live again, even if it is in a slower, less agile form :lol: Ive started posting pics towards the end of this thread so keep an eye out and lemme know what you think!!!
Matt

jwscab

Re: Wore out Gold Pan, possible WOIN build

Post by jwscab »

not sure if that tower can be saved. Can also say I've never seen a warped one like that.

as far as the pile of metal parts, some are specific, like diff plates and such and should just be cleaned up with dish detergent and water (if aluminum). If you want to save any steel hardware, you could soak them in simple green and brush clean. anything that's not rusty will clean up nicely. If it's rusty, you could throw it in a tub with some phosphoric acid, which will kind of give it a blackened look while removing the orange rust. Any of the 'rust remover/rustmort' type stuff you find in the auto store is a phosphoric acid solution. otherwise, you can find new hardware as appropriate. Mcmaster-carr and other places sell bulk hardware very cheaply.

I hate how the standard steel stuff rusts, so as I rebuild cars, I use stainless wherever I can. I have a bunch plus every time I order something from mcmaster, I try and throw a pack of a hundred of a size or two so I have some in stock.

suby56
Approved Member

Post by suby56 »

That looks looks like most of the ones I have started with. The thing that gets me is when the chassis is twisted.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001571397&I=LX3312&P=K screws
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001571397&I=LXVP74&P=K more screws
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001571397&I=LX2540&P=K turnbuckes these always seem to be bent
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2774&P=M again,seem to be bent alot
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2511&P=M these are the wide a arms

that shock tower, probably ebay, but they are cheap..
or
http://rccarbonworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_36&product_id=69 Carbon bling

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Nice find!

What I do for the screws and all metal parts is soak them in WD40 or some type of penetrating oil over night. Then I dry them off with a paper towel and use a small wire brush for the stubborn areas. Its tedious work but the results are great.
Jeff

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Thanks for the info guys. I've got most of the metal parts in a bowl of pbblaster and I'll see what's salvageable tomorrow. Gonna look at ordering all the parts needed to make this thing a reliable, fun buggy again. I also wanna see if this motor has any life left in it. Love the old school speed control too, really takes me back to being a kidbut I won't be using it. The tub seems straight but one of the aluminum bars from the front clip is bent slightly. The nose piece appears straight so I'll just straighten it out. I love hoe cheap a lot of these parts are, won't hurt as bad to actually run these things when I'm done!
Matt

trek
Approved Member

Post by trek »

Awesome links to parts. Thanks!

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

I think i have the evil twin :evil: lol...I just bought one and am still waiting for it...It was a buy it now at 59.99...I recognize those stickers... :D...I am gonna do a modified one also , so all the links from others posting will help me out greatly also...Thanks suby 56 for the links...I use simple green mixed with Dawn dish soap and then finish them off with wd 40 to protect them...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

The guy sellin this one WAS sellin 2 at the same time, one with a broken arm (one I got) and the other one was complete but I was too slow to get it from him lol Wonder if you did indeed get the twin LOL

Matt

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Then it is it :lol: Mine has a busted right front missing a bearing and dog one lol...Glad to see that yours isn't totally destroyed lol...I should be getting mine today...THe hurricane here kept me from getting it sooner...Glad to see the car on here...I knew I recognized those decals...I think he was doing some extreme sports with them lol...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

REMJ666
Approved Member

Post by REMJ666 »

Just checked the door and it is here...It is VERY DIRTY !!!!! But looks like a very solid car...Will be posting pics of this one very soon...Luckily there was a A stamp chassis up for grabs around the same time i bought this one and i will be using that chassis because it has very minor scratches on the bottom...Unlike the one on the car now... 8)

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Yeah I already had 2 goldpans on the way and saw this one CHEAP so I figured, why not...could always use a parts car right? Unfortunately, I cant bring myself to just let the thing lay around so thats why Im thinkin its WOIN time...or even make this one into my basher buggy. As soon as the 3rd one shows up (today Im hoping) then I will be able to figure out what buggy will live what life LOL

Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Re: Wore out Gold Pan

Post by 66sprint6 »

Well, all the GoldPans are in and I think I can decide which one will serve what purpose :lol: The first one I got was in AMAZING condition with some nice upgrades and I literally slapped a motor and ESC on it and it was running wonderfully. I will keep it the way it is and just have some good old vintage RC10 fun with it. The 3rd RC10 I recieved was a mixture of different color aluminum and was obviously ran quite a bit, but taken care of at the same time. I will use it as my WOIN build and keep it runnin like the previous owner(s) did along the way. That leaves this tired, broken and beat up rig. The entire reason I got into RC10s can be traced back to my wanting a Sand Scorcher. I didnt like the idea that it didnt handle well and was so expensive so while searching around for alternatives or cheap versions, I stubled across an RC10 Beetle build. I want to do somethin similar with this build, but I havnt decided on a body just yet. I might do some radical things that will kill the handling a bit but this isnt gonna be a track star, it will be a dune buggy, beach basher, trail runner kinda deal and i look forward to makin it happen. Ill post more along the way!!!

Matt

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Got a little time to mess around with the wore out GoldPan and got a couple ideas on what I wanna do with it, but I have some questions before I get to hacking anything up. I took the worst pan I have and the bent nose (which will get bent back in shape shortly) and got a Tamiya Bronco body I have for a Scaler and got to brainstorming. I would LOVE to put together a Bronco Buggy like the old 2wd conversion Baja rigs but with a top rather than some tubework. What I need are some ideas on shortening up the track width. I would love to get the tires closer to being inside the fender wells on the bronco but this sucker is only 7.25" wide. Anyone have any ideas? I looked at drilling new holes up front and moving the mounts together then trimming the nose piece to allow the arms to move. In the rear I could mount the arms under the pan and then cut it but with the current width arms I would have to get them almost together as well which would be interesting. Are there any shorter arms available...maybe the car arms? Im not entirely worried about this thing handling very well, it would be a beach bomber, dune jumper kinda build. Any ideas? I was gonna do a beetle but thought the Bronco would be kinda cool. Ill grab some pics of what Im workin with when I get my new phone in. Thanks guys!
Matt

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

someone on the board shortened a chassis for a bug body. Turned out sweet. I'll post a link if I can find it.

66sprint6
Approved Member

Post by 66sprint6 »

Yeah, there was a Beetle thread on here that gave me the idea on shortening up the chassis. What Im most concerned about is "skinnying" up the track width the better fit eithe the Bronco or Beetle body. I have some ideas after some searching but would still like to get a couple more oppinions and see if there are any shorter arms available.
Matt