Low, low Losi prices

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Re: Low, low Losi prices

Post by mrlexan »

Didn't I read somewhere that due to the success of the X2 trans, it forced Associated to rethink the 6 gear which lead to the Stealth? I thought I read that somewhere.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Just based on the developments I saw in real time, the 6-gear was a lot of moving parts, and Eustace Moore created a much simpler solution with the MIP tranny. That was a staple in any competitive racing RC10 and tracks across the country for years. That design was the predecessor to the Stealth. The LRM Losi tranny was done so well, though, that it forced Associated to take the MIP design to the next level with the Stealth gearbox.

In my opinion, the whole JRX2 was done so well that it forced Associated to really push the development on the RC10. It just took them a lot longer than it should have. I'm not going to get into who won more National or World Championships, because at that level, it's all about the team and the driver, but for many years, the JRX2 was a huge leap forward from the standard issue gold tub.

Either way, both tremendously ground-breaking cars and designs. The RC10 did give birth to the world of off road buggies and real racing, but the JRX2 outdid the RC10 at just about everything. IMO, both cars have a significant history in R/C racing, and it shocks me to see such a difference in the collector's market.

I guess for every part out there that is rare and valuable today that sucked back then, there has to be an opposite item that was worth every penny on the track but has little value to collectors today.

Ah well, it's easier for me to find parts for the projects I still have, I guess. ;)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. Losi is the best thing that ever happened to the RC10. The Jrx2 forced the RC10 to evolve or die.

I'm glad people think an MIP 4wd kit is worth $1000 and a minty JrxProSE isn't worth $50. I prefer cars that win, and when you can get them for pennies on the dollar, all the better. 8) :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I'm glad people think an MIP 4wd kit is worth $1000 and a minty JrxProSE isn't worth $50. I prefer cars that win, and when you can get them for pennies on the dollar, all the better. 8) :lol:
I laughed at that statement, but you're 100% correct.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

minty JrxProSE isn't worth $50. I prefer cars that win, and when you can get them for pennies on the dollar, all the better. 8) :lol:[/quote]

Thats great as long as your on the buyer Side not the seller side :(
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

bearrickster wrote:minty JrxProSE isn't worth $50. I prefer cars that win, and when you can get them for pennies on the dollar, all the better. 8) :lol:
Thats great as long as your on the buyer Side not the seller side :([/quote]

The only reason I've ever been in to radio controlled cars is to have fun. It's never been so I can make a profit.

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

I wish everybody felt that way!!! I am not in it for profit either but I do like to brake even. I just sold off a lot of my collection and I think I lost money on some very nice cars. :( I like to build them then move on to something else. I have several I run and no need for shelf Queens but I like to build but it sucks to buy 50 dollars worth of shocks and sell the whole car for 50 bucks
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

there was a point in time when the RC10 didn't have much love. I had tons of RC10 parts that were sitting in boxes for years. I was reluctant to sell them as there just wasn't a market, then RC10talk came along and gave it the love it deserved. Losi's time will come also.

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - and to think that Gil Losi Jr was part of the original designers team on the RC10.............. :lol:

Losi was never the underdog - only to the masses - those that raced the cars BITD knew exactly how good they were. I am not saying that in an elitist "pro Losi" kind of way - just a simple statement of fact. I can see how people that were not involved in the hobby BITD would see the RC10 as the cult car and everything else as a poor second choice - as they were indeed a trail blazer with excellent product, marketing and back up.

I have always been a big fan of the Losi cars - in fact had more success with them than just about any other brand.....very glad the vintage parts etc are cheap at the moment however, it wont be long before people cotton on.

Now - if I could just find a NIB short chassis and a set of wheels and tyres for the JRX2 - I would be set...... :roll: ........it never ends.....

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

bgruen
Approved Member

Post by bgruen »

MelvinsArmy wrote:
For seconders- The LXT and ProSE/Jr2-T series of cars are pretty much responsible for what off road chassis look like to this very day. Today's cars are not stamped aluminum, they're molded composites, and those were started by Losi. From the B4 to the micro baja.
To me this is where it all went wrong. The flat carbon fiber plate was the key to a customizeable platform. When they went to the composite tub / tight integration route they stifled the ability of owners and the aftermarket companies to make upgrades that worked. Composite craft actually sold a CF blank with a kick up so you could design and cut your own RC-10 chassis.

The "flat plate" cars are the ones that I loved back then and still collect today. JRX-2s, flat plate LXTs, etc. To me the JRX-Pro is the first mistake car; it has no real standing and there is nothing unique and desireable about it.

Bob
Writer, producer, and director of The Hobby Stop:

Available on:
  • Amazon
  • iTunes
  • Google Play
  • YouTube Movies
  • Microsoft Store / X-Box

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

totally agree with you Bob!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

trx1racer wrote:I'm going to start looking for an LXT or a XXT. I think they will be competitive at the indoor track this winter, plus it will mess with the regulars. They all race t4's with the same setup. It's good racing, I just like to be different.
Mark I got one I'll let go reasonable..... Save on shipping fees too. :D

I bought the Worlds car in 94 thinking it was the latest and greatest from AE.... Pushed like a pig. Got really tired of the Losi cars turning inside me on every turn..... Same old car just different colors. Oh, and that milling on the inside of the chassis really took some seconds off my lap times. :roll:

Among other reasons Gil no longer works for "Losi", they wouldn't allow him to go to the big races to assist the race team.... They preferred he stay in Ca and market their latest micro mini whatever....

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

RETRO R/C wrote:Losi was never the underdog - only to the masses - those that raced the cars BITD knew exactly how good they were. I am not saying that in an elitist "pro Losi" kind of way - just a simple statement of fact. I can see how people that were not involved in the hobby BITD would see the RC10 as the cult car and everything else as a poor second choice - as they were indeed a trail blazer with excellent product, marketing and back up.
Cheers

Darryn
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or I just didn't make myself very clear. I meant they were the underdog when they first came on the scene, and they were. I'm not saying they were inferior in any way, I believe they were actually superior. But, when you come out of the blue with a brand new car, no race history under your belt, no aftermarket parts support, and your company is a fraction of the size of the top dog, and you're goal is to challenge the champ, it makes you the underdog by definition. I was around back then and was one of two people in the local club that raced Losis. I was more than happy to be in the minority. Some kid with a paper route salary and the less popular car giving the old men a good run for their money. :lol:

Bob, the LXT was a composite chassis truck as well, both the complete kits and the conversion kit. I understand liking the flat chassis cars, I like them myself, but the composite tubs are better chassis. They're just more stiff and handle better. I like tinkering as much with my cars as much as the next guy, but I'll take a chassis designed by the engineers at Losi or AE any day over my own cobbled creation. :lol:

Funny point on the Worlds Car bngiles. It was cool, but it was also a last gasp before the original RC10 croaked. Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons when Lisa designed a new doll, and just as it went on sale a new Malibu Stacy was introduced "with a new hat" and all the girls went nuts. The Worlds Car being that Malibu Stacy of course. :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

MelvinsArmy wrote:I understand liking the flat chassis cars, I like them myself, but the composite tubs are better chassis. They're just more stiff and handle better. I like tinkering as much with my cars as much as the next guy, but I'll take a chassis designed by the engineers at Losi or AE any day over my own cobbled creation.
And let us not forget WAY cheaper to mass produce than a milled sheet of graphite that will never perform as well unless it is seriously structurally aided (braces, multi decks, etc.).

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Eau Rouge wrote:
MelvinsArmy wrote:I understand liking the flat chassis cars, I like them myself, but the composite tubs are better chassis. They're just more stiff and handle better. I like tinkering as much with my cars as much as the next guy, but I'll take a chassis designed by the engineers at Losi or AE any day over my own cobbled creation.
And let us not forget WAY cheaper to mass produce than a milled sheet of graphite that will never perform as well unless it is seriously structurally aided (braces, multi decks, etc.).
Exactly. There are still flat cf chassis around in the touring car world. But, all of them are the double deck design so they don't flex like a slice of baloney. :lol: