Low, low Losi prices

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Low, low Losi prices

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I've seen some dowright steals on Losis lately. Check this out, and no one bid!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270242566406&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Then, there's this strange hybrid with some good parts, would make for a great project, all for $20.50!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310054107066&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=021

Then I snagged this LXT for next to nothing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180249405338&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

No love for vintage Losi? Oh well, it makes me happy to be able to pick up a great car for next to nothing. It's like ebay Losi prices are stuck at prices from 3 or 4 years ago, while RC10s just keep going for more and more money. :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Low, low Losi prices

Post by Eau Rouge »

I really can't figure it out. It's not like these cars were turds BITD—and all honestly—they were all BETTER cars on track than their Associated counterparts. It makes no sense to me. The lack of real prices on them is puzzling, to say the least.

My JRXpro still sits here for sale, and that car is stupid clean WITH a Tekin 410, new 3003 servo, stock motor and a new body! The lack of respect for Losi cars right now is almost comical. C'mon, it's not like they are Traxxas! :P :wink:

I wonder if it has anything to do with "Team Losi" getting sold to Horizon, Gil leaving and then the company subsequently becoming "Losi" then losing most of it's current racing presence in today's market? I guess they turned the corner into a toy RTR company, and no longer has the image that it used to. That really sucks, honestly. Those cars are still some of the best race cars ever made.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

ahh man that was low! but you got a point, traxxas sucks now. Although sealedcity has a few NIB traxxas's for 5 and 600 BIN I laughed, cause a sealed TCP just went for $170. But I guess that's someone with a room full of sealed boxes and money to throw at auctions feeling out the market
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Losi and AE both sold out, only the AE deal was les conspicuous. I don't follow the modern stuff too much, both have some very toy quality products, but losi more-so. It would be nice if they split into Losi and Team losi racing. Sell toy/rtr on one side and have the racing development on the other. They do seem to be catering to the popular demand with the rtr/brushless/lipo stuff, and also with some dirt-oval products.
once a track opens up locally I'll have to actually pay attention to get some modern gear.

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I don't think it's a Losi vs. Associated debate.

The market is based on people (like us) who collect older cars. Either everyone's Losi collection is completed...or everyone thinks that there's an unending supply of these cars and they are willing to wait for the perfect example to come along.

I can't believe that Doug's jrx pro just hasn't sold yet...

Regards,
highwayracer

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

It's clearly not a supply and demand situation. There are a fraction of the Losi cars around compared to AE cars.

I can't believe opinions of the current company have much to do with the price of vintage cars. AE is in the same boat as Losi at this point. Plus, vintage Tamiyas have always been very expensive, and 90% of their line has always been toys compared to Losi or AE.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Good points, all.

So what could cause the lack of interest in the old Losis?

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

I'm thinking that the Losi's were, in essence, and improved design of the RC10. The nostalgia of the RC10 goes back to it being the first real RC off-road race buggy. It's "the original". I would think that the Losi stuff would some day be a collector's item too, but just not yet. Maybe I'm just hopeful since I still have my LXT. I wouldn't mind having an original JRX2 in my stable though... I think that's the only real collectible out of the entire Losi lineup right now that actually has value.
Keith C

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

trx1racer wrote:ahh man that was low! but you got a point, traxxas sucks now. Although sealedcity has a few NIB traxxas's for 5 and 600 BIN I laughed, cause a sealed TCP just went for $170. But I guess that's someone with a room full of sealed boxes and money to throw at auctions feeling out the market
CRAP! I can't believe I missed that one for 167 bucks!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

aconsola wrote:Losi and AE both sold out, only the AE deal was les conspicuous. I don't follow the modern stuff too much, both have some very toy quality products, but losi more-so. It would be nice if they split into Losi and Team losi racing. Sell toy/rtr on one side and have the racing development on the other. They do seem to be catering to the popular demand with the rtr/brushless/lipo stuff, and also with some dirt-oval products.
once a track opens up locally I'll have to actually pay attention to get some modern gear.

Be suprised if they have a "racing team" at all in a year or 2. In the corporate bean counter's mind, they cost too much $$$.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

bngiles wrote:

Be suprised if they have a "racing team" at all in a year or 2. In the corporate bean counter's mind, they cost too much $$$.

Yeah, but I would think putting "National Champion" or "World Champion" in your ad and on the side of your box would be good for sales. I hope you're not right about that.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Eau Rouge wrote:So what could cause the lack of interest in the old Losis?
the lack of aftermarket parts.

it's the same reason why when melvin asked why there was no hardcore ol' skool rc10 racers on the forum, i pretty much said the same thing. it's obvious that most of us on here like to find, and build up our cars with loads of aftermarket parts. and you have tro admit, the amount of aftermarket parts for losi vehicles compared to rc10's is pretty weak.

my $.02.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

scr8p wrote:
Eau Rouge wrote:So what could cause the lack of interest in the old Losis?
the lack of aftermarket parts.

it's the same reason why when melvin asked why there was no hardcore ol' skool rc10 racers on the forum, i pretty much said the same thing. it's obvious that most of us on here like to find, and build up our cars with loads of aftermarket parts. and you have tro admit, the amount of aftermarket parts for losi vehicles compared to rc10's is pretty weak.

my $.02.
But still, a minty ProSE for $50 not even getting a bid when a stock RC10 of the same era going for 3x that still makes no sense to me. Not everybody is building cf tub MIP 4-10s with Tecnacraft wheels.

Hey, I'm not complaining at all. I love the low Losi prices. I can get a superior car for a fraction of the cost. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

maybe we should start lositalk.com. that should help bring the prices of old losi cars up. it's worked wonders for the rc10's. :roll: :lol:

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

When you look at the Jr series, it was built so well that after market items weren't needed. It's easy to design a car when there's already a proven design (RC10) out there.

RPM probably developed most of the useable Losi after market parts. On the contrast, I've never used JG stuff on my Losi. A&L also had some pretty interesting upgrades, but they were mostly items that could be leveraged for or from other cars (like the belt drive trans). In my opinion, A&L's biggest contribution was the Power Clutch slipper.

Regards,
Roger