Report: Vintage RC10 Florida Racing

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: Report: Vintage RC10 Florida Racing

Post by Ruffy »

Thanks, I might just end up using the clear chassis tape they have currently available. It is replaceable if it starts to wear down too.

I saw some being used this weekend that is thin and crystal clear, and really want to try it now.

I can't wait for the Harris clan to come on here and share their weekend with everyone!
:D

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

The Blue chassis looks awesome Ruffy. Cant wait to read the Harris report. :D

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Sorry for the delay. The track surface yesterday was a little wetter and looser than what we normally run on. As a result, I spent the day in the garage tearing my RC10 apart. There was just too much dirt in too many places for me to just clean it. The time had come for a complete tear down anyway. The blue car is torn apart now and the chassis was dropped off for re-anodizing. I also dropped off the nose tubes and shocks for chrome. In the interim I have started building another car. This one is also blue, but I had the chassis polished before it was anodized. This creates more of a powdercoat look.

As for the races yesterday: it was a great day! Jeremy ran his RC10 in the superstock class. In a race with 106 total entries and as Ruffy said, a "C" main in stock; it was great to see him put the car in the TQ position. During the main he made a couple mistakes and engaged in some driving that we later discussed, but in the end he took the win. The car works great and turned a ton of heads. We had a steady line of people visiting and taking pictures of the cars, including Ruffy's stunning box art replica. We also had the engineering skills of Ruffy in the pits wrenching on Jeremy's car. Needless to say, it worked!

2wd mod was also a treat with my oldest son in the TQ position and Jeremy also towards the top. At the end of the day it was Josh taking the win, Jeremy in second and I think Jason Ruona ended up third.

Florida racing is almost like racing in Ca. With a large number of factory guys like Ruona, JR Mitch, Paul Wynn and Ryan Eckert (just to name a few), you really have to be on the ball. The boys brought their A game!

My youngest ended up racing my RC10. After an oversight during the loading process left him without his B4, it was time to learn how to DRIVE a car. He actually liked the way the RC10 drove more than his B4.

I will add video shortly.

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

Sounds like it was a great day for the Harris team, this might change Associated's view on re issue of the rc10 tub

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

It has changed several of the local racers view of the aluminum tub. There are a few that will be joining the Harris team by adding an RC10 to their racing stable. I just hope it doesn't drive the prices through the roof!

The positive side is that with the 3 cars I'm building for Jason Ruona, maybe we can get some other parts updated. I think a body will be a sure thing, but maybe some modern wheels could be a possibility. We didn't get much time to talk yesterday and I haven't mentioned it to him yet, so nobody needs to get worked up yet but; we did talk about the setup I use, what he currently has on his cars and the issues with each. I could see the wheels turning.....

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

So Jeff did you leave the Pro Radiant at home with the b4?

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

murphy3428 wrote:So Jeff did you leave the Pro Radiant at home with the b4?
No. The Pro Radiant was probably the first thing I put in the truck! I didn't race yesterday, but I did run the Radiant in practice before the races. I changed a few things that Mike Dunn suggested and it was a lot better, until.......

Anybody have a diff outdrive for a Pro Radiant they want to part with?

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

fastang wrote:
murphy3428 wrote:Glad to be of assistance Ruffy, the chassis looks awesome can't wait to see it complete. With all of these sweet vintage rc10's now on the track Mrlexan needs to come up with a lexan underside protecter so to keep all the great work looking at its best
Someone was making the under trays not too long ago but the member slips my mind. They were nicely done too.
I was the one making the undertrays last Summer/Fall. Demand for them kinda died out, but I can whip up more and post in the BST if anyone's interested.

Robert

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

ROH73 wrote:
fastang wrote:
murphy3428 wrote:Glad to be of assistance Ruffy, the chassis looks awesome can't wait to see it complete. With all of these sweet vintage rc10's now on the track Mrlexan needs to come up with a lexan underside protecter so to keep all the great work looking at its best
Someone was making the under trays not too long ago but the member slips my mind. They were nicely done too.
I was the one making the undertrays last Summer/Fall. Demand for them kinda died out, but I can whip up more and post in the BST if anyone's interested.

Robert
Any pics of the undertrays?

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

ROH73 wrote:
fastang wrote:

Robert
AH yes, Sorry Robert, I just couldn't remember! Must be getting old! I think they are a must for these guys and when they see them, Ruffy and the Harris boys, I think will want one or 3! Post pics again. I think with the recent racing these boys(men :lol: ) have been doing you might sell a few!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Agreed, please post pics to see. The advantage the undertray has to the clear sticker is cleanup.
:D

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

The Jconcepts chassis tape suprised the heck out of me, I was afraid to pull it off cause of the cleanup. But it only left 2 or 3 small spots to clean up. I'd rather have an undertray for the convenience though, you can take it off as many times as you like and also cover up a rough bottom chassis with a painted undertray. Freddy used one of Robert's undertrays at last year's VONATS and I was impressed by the finish of it, quality piece!
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Please see the BST for the undertray info. PM me if you have any questions or are interested in buying. I'm traveling for work Monday - Thursday this week, so if anyone wants to buy one, I won't be able to ship until the end of the week.

Regards,

Robert

JeremyH

Post by JeremyH »

Saturdays Jconcepts SuperCup was an awesome event all around. After running the first round of stock I came back to the pits only to find Ruffy wrenching on my car. After cornermarshalling, I, walked back and Ruffy starts asking me questions about how it was handling and giving me advice and spectator feedback on line choices on the track. For the second round, I had a diff that was smooth as butter and new front shock postion, O and a car that handled a ton better! I managed to TQ with some seconds to spare. After marshalling again I walk back and Ruffy was working his magic again! For the main I had some very little changes, new double d's, new groovy's, and relux wheels! With the minor changes and fresh tires the car was dialed! I would in no way shape or form brag on my driving in the main. With bobbles, mistakes, and just flat out stupid mistakes in traffic it wasn't my best performance but managed to sneak a W in there with a last lap pass. I owe the all the credit to Ruffy for wis magical wrench work that I greatly appreciate! O and I suppose my Dad for making one awesome 20 year old car! lol.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Congrats Jeremy, and yes your father built you one heck of a beautiful, yet very mechanically sound, race machine!
We were both proud of all of you boys as we can see that the torch has been passed.
I hope you didn't mind me working on it as I just wanted you to be able to experience how great a car your dad had built for you. The old school RC10 is a fantastic car, and slowly but surely as we fine tune it and you get used to driving it, before long it will be in modified taking names as well.
Congrats on the driving clinic you gave in that 2nd round of qualifiers! It was nice to look around the track and see jaws wide open as the announcer told the crowd numerous times you were driving an antique vintage RC10 with an aluminum chassis!
I loved every minute of it.
As far as the mistakes in the main, as long as you take the experience, learn and apply corrective action as you continue to race, then it was well worth it! I have never seen a perfect error free race, but as long as we strive for it, thats the best anyone can ask for.