A Vintage race in the West...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Goatless
Approved Member

Re: A Vintage race in the West...

Post by Goatless »

Cruise ship race, sweet!! 8)

The guys here in Memphis call Vintage "Nicad batteries" :? You can run a B4, w/nicads :cry:
"I'm like the fat girl at the prom, just glad to be here!!!

Southern Fried Racing : The Sequel

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

Wish I could make it out there, but I am lucky to live near the CT VONATS.

Maybe you could tie the two VONATS together somehow like the Shortcourse showdown. That way locals could enter, but old drivers from the era could travel around to the different locations and compete.

Who knows, maybe a Crew Jones would emerge from the shadows with a Rad Racing RC-10.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

JHarris wrote:As you dream out loud and consider every angle, keep in mind that if you find a larger interest on the right coast we could help with an indoor location. Florida is a vacation destination and it would help some guys get out the door if the wife knows they can go see the rodents while they're here. I will also add though; I'd like to see some factory interest and support as well as interest from the big names of that era. It would seem that holding the race in their backyard would make that more of a possibility.
Thank you for your input. You seem like you know what your talking about. Maybe your experience will come in handy when the time comes.

This is however talk about a left coast race, so I guess it won't, but thanks anyway.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

JOESGARAGE
Approved Member

Post by JOESGARAGE »

Anything yet for a vintage race in the west coast? L.A or O.C area?
OLD SCHOOL!

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

1:Sean Sanchez = Orange
2:Brian Wilmers = RC10resto
3:Joey King = JK Racing
4:Ford Cook = PBR Allstar
5:Jeff = JPAE07
6: Reggie Hammer = Charlie don't surf
7:Rod Littau = slotcarrod
8: Dave Mendez = SofaKing
9: Paul = aeiou
10: Rich Rodriguez = RichieRich
11: Jeff Wittman = Jay Dub +2
12. Anthony Fredrickson = arf
13: Brian Olson = Y'ernat Al (San Diego)
- Brian -

My Gallery

farmer
Approved Member

Post by farmer »

i know i could get Randy from rainmain hobbies to have a west coast vintage classic
i live in bakersfiel which is rite in the middle of CA
i would just need a date and im 99% sure i could set this up
there would have to be some real intrest in this
i would also like to do a 4 man team enduro like they use to back in the day
as part of the vintage classic
farmer
my spelling not so good! but i can DRIVE the wheels off anything!

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

I spoke with the kind people at OCRC Raceway in huntington Beach. They have a smaller off road track that mirrors many of the off road tracks of the 1980s. They were very receptive to the idea of a vintage race/run/show event. No advance notice needed. All we need to do is show up on a Saturday or Sunday and have a blast. They seem to believe it would bring alot of interest and attention. Now the hard part is done..WHOS DOWN FOR IT?? :D

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Woah... Man I forgot all about this thread when it seemed like a lost cause... OCRC, Nick Blacks dad owns it or something like that right? I do know Nick.

For me though, my business is possibly taking a turn that will probably be very limiting to my time though, that mixed with other stuff in my life would make it difficult for me to organize... however, I would definately be interested in attending and helping out however I could. Sorry to be the downer.

Although, its great start to get interest flowing on a local level and is something that more people should try and do. I do think most are looking for more than a Saturday club race kinda thing.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

RB robert black is his name. he's a cool dude. i asked him a couple of years ago about starting a vintage class, and basically told me the same as to what 'body snatcher' said.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

IMO... the best possible way to pump an interest in a type of racing like ours, would be to have a big race with rules in place that govern the cars correctly. Like the VIntage Nats are done basically. Going to club races is good and gets people looking at the cars and oodling all over them, but the harsh reality is that nobody will REALLY get interested unless they see a bunch of them running around the track in their own class at a race that is designed with the vintage cars being the main purpose.

Its easy to say "Gotta start somewhere" but in this industry, starting with the highest expectations with the grandest outcome is best. Hold a big race, with trophies... Not a one day thing, but a two day thing... People will look into getting what they need to race in a big race... If its a club race, they already got good a car for that.

A thread like this is nice and all... If I went to a track owner and said "Hey, I got a list of 10 people that will attend a big race, do you want to host it?" I would get laughed at... I know this because I have been a track owner and I would be amused... But I would also say, make that list of people maybe 50-75 and we'll talk. So this is all great and all, but the list needs to be substantially bigger in order to make it a reality. I have been on both sides of the fence and I gotta say, before I owned a track, after reading this, it may have angered me a little that a track should just jump at the prospect of promoting RC racing whether it be 10 people or 100... But as a track owner, you have costs involved and you have to pay for those costs. If the race does not generate enough to do that, its just not worth it. ALL track owners are going to be okay with you the racer to promote it during their regular club races... They can't lose anything with that.

If a list of racers grows to 50 names and not 10 and they are committed to making it happen and attending... I can make a race like this happen. I have no doubt... I'm a salesman, its what I do. Until then, its just a dream. People want it, but they don't want to commit to something or add their name to the list simply because their have been a hundred other threads like this that did not amount to anything. I would go to a track owner and pitch a race if I knew I had 50 committed names on a list. I won't go if there is only 10. Not trying to anger anyone, just saying it like it is.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

or if you can't get the #'s up try to get a class going at an already large event.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

I like that idea too, however, I think numbers would still be needed.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

i agree sean. on paper, or on a forum, it looks and sounds good. but when it's time to put up it seems like the crowds aren't there. i think the best thing they (track owners) could do is have the 'vintage class' open at the track/s at all times during race days. not a one time thing. this will blossom over time. you'll obviously have your ups and downs with the class, but it'll certainly make the 'vintage class' more visible and you'll have more people joining.

i also think the main reason why it's not very popular is because the cost of parts for the cars. and a lot of dudes/gals don't want to ruin their rigs and risk breaking expensive parts. which are starting to get more expensive by the way. those chop shops on ebay could probably serve a purpose now.

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

Look,Im not saying that we need to hold a big race right away. We should perhaps just start out with a weekly vintage get together. That gives everyone a chance to get to bring out their vintage rides,hang out,talk shop,and make new friends and resources. For those of us that want to run,just pay the practice fee. As time goes on,interest,support,and the amount of people coming out will increase. We can weigh the pros and cons of this idea all day long,but thats not going to make it successful. If people are actually serious about the idea,theyre going to be willing to show up. Now that its out there on a silver platter,theres no reason we couldnt get something going. Im thinking sunday mornings. And by the way,Id show up if only five people showed up. As long as we have a good time,it wouldnt be a wasted effort. Just keep in mind that its all about the attitude towards the idea that will either make or kill it. You really do have to start somewhere. :D

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

Well,it was a good idea while it lasted. But there you have it. Just goes to show you that anyone can dream and talk about something that they want. But when it comes to actually putting forth effort? Even when its handed to them on a silver platter.Well,its like i said,"Its the attitude toward an idea that makes it or kills it." :?