A Vintage race in the West...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Orange
Approved Member

A Vintage race in the West...

Post by Orange »

Okay, so I'm just putting this out there to see how much of an interest there would be for a Vintage race held on the western side of US... If the time and place was right, would you attend?

I know that some folks are out west and its a lot harder to make it to VoNats... So just a possible idea to see what if anything could be figured out...

It would most likely be a spring time race so that it would not interfere with VoNats...

Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated!
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

arf
Approved Member

Re: A Vintage race in the West...

Post by arf »

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

how many would pick a place to mirror the older tracks? loamy loose dirt for those old skool rooster tails.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Arf... Jimmy is a friend of mine... Actually, he is more like a brother to me and Dawn. He would be one of the tracks I would approach to do this if it came to that point. Although I don't find the surface of his track ideal for this type of racing... It would have to be run wet track like club racing and not like say how the Shootout surface is prepared. My Avatar pic is from Shootout a few years ago.

Just so some of you know who I am, My wife Dawn and I used to own Scottsdale R/C Speedway (SRS), Same track that ran the Cactus Classic. And also Dawn was the ROAR President 2 terms prior to the current Pres. At the same time she was also the IFMAR Vice President. We know the ins and outs of putting on a large event having organized the Cactus, National Championships, and many, many regional and State Championships. Plus having been a part of a few World Championships. With that said, we have many contacts throughout the industry.

Without sounding like I'm tooting my own horn, I just want to put out some credentials so that some of you know that if I want to put together a race like this, I want to make sure it is the best it can be. But really getting some input from everyone would be my best interest.

But first and foremost, I would like to make sure that the interest is there. A race is only good if people show up. I personally think that the best ideas start in a small conversation like this on a message forum :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Sean,
I would definitely be down for this. I'm not sure what the tracks are like in the southern CA area, I know we have a hot bed of offroad here in the greater San Francisco bay area. The first that comes to mind is NorCal Hobbies in Union City. beautiful outdoor facility, they run a hooked up moist track, and have had some very big events. They are pretty centrally located in california (never known why they call it northern california when it's smack in the middle?) they've hosted some large events, and they are close to all kinds of lodging and San Jose international airport which is one of the least expensive airports to fly into in the area.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Sean, I ran my gold pan at the Shootout last year, I switched to my 22, only because I mounted all my new tires up for it and wasnt buying more sets for the goldie. I've also ran my goldie during the JBRL races and placed in the A main for blinky buggy @ Hot Rod. I couldnt stay for the main, the day ran way too long and I had my 9 year old son with me. Doing my best to see if I can get some more vintage cars out on the local club scene and make a regular class of it.

I would love to do a vintage only race on the west coast, especially if it were on a Southern California track (yes, I am spoiled here locally).
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I'm in for SoCal racing. :)

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

I'd Venture south to SoCal for a race. Im in Oregon, so its not that far to travel.

As for a track....... I'm working with a customer to build his Horse arena into an RC track. Perhaps.... I Promise no Poop on the track or in the dirt.

MOmo

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

My first option would be for a track that already supports a vintage type of class regularly. Does anyone know of a track that is already doing that out in western region?
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I would come to the Left Coast before I went to Connecticut in September. This really needs to be done, a general rulebook and sanctioning body. Loose rules that cater to everyone are worthless-

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Two past IFMAR worlds attending racers and I worked on creating something for this aspect of vintage called (VORTEC) Vintage Off Road Track Electric Championship- we stalled as other responsibilities became more pressing. I hope someone sees this through!!

arf
Approved Member

Post by arf »

Orange wrote:My first option would be for a track that already supports a vintage type of class regularly. Does anyone know of a track that is already doing that out in western region?
The standard quote from every club race director: "if 5 or more cars show up we will run the class."

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

I've organized a couple impromptu vintage days, but it was mostly just a fun thing. a good message board to gauge some interest on for the northern CA. area is RCRacing.com it's the hub for any race activity north of the greater Los Angeles area.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Reg, I'll split room and rental car with ya if this happens, (you buy your own beer!) :lol:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

PBR Allstar wrote:Reg, I'll split room and rental car with ya if this happens, (you buy your own beer!) :lol:
No beer when I'm In California- why bother when I can go to any Ralph's and buy Bushmills :wink: