Possible ESC issue... need advice

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

b0x
Approved Member

Possible ESC issue... need advice

Post by b0x »

I picked up an rc10 from a friend for free. He just sent me the transmitter the other day, so I was able to test it out a bit.

It has a hi-tec transmitter and reciever. The transmitter works, but it has no antenna, and there is no spring on the trigger.

It accelerates fine (I havent been able to run it on the ground yet, waiting on a steering block), but it doesnt brake at all. Is it supposed to? It has a victor engineering ESC, and there is a brake/neutral adjustment and a rate adjustment on the esc, at least I think thats what they are. Can I try messing with them? I didnt yet because I have no idea what they do or how they work.

The servo works, but it doesnt return to the center after you let go. I dont know if it is too weak, or what. I am running a 7.2V stick pack right now, but it cam with an 8.4 that I havent bothered trying to charge... would that matter?

Right now I think the transmitter is just about junk and isnt worth trying to save. I was just curious if you guys thought it would be worth replacing the tx/rx and/or the servo.

I dont want to spend a lot of money, if I need one I will probably pick up a cheap tx/rx off ebay. If you guys have any info at all I would appreciate it. I can post pics if anyone thinks itll help.

Also, I took out the motor that was in it (it came with 4 spares) and it is a Race Prep with an orange endbell. Were they good... I am pretty new to this so I have no idea. I had just been born with the RC10 originally came out... :)

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

Your best bet is to can the TX/RX and if you dont want to spend a ton pick up a Traxxas setup and maybe you could get one that has a servo with it. They arent the best out there, but they arent that bad. Lots of people pull them from Traxxas kits(like myself) and run a better setup so they usually are plentiful in the resale dept. good luck getting the rc10 up and running.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Anyone else have any suggestions?

I fiddled with it a little bit more today and noticed a couple things...

I have a victor engineering esc...A red light comes on as soon as I plug in the battery, whether the car is on or not. That light stays on all the time, unless it gets to full throttle, then it goes off... as soon as the wheels slow down (braking isnt working) it comes back on... is it supposed to happen this way?

I am probably going to replace the tx/rx and the servo, but I am wondering about the esc. I dont want to replace it if I dont have to. I am guessing it would be best to see how it does with the new setup, but I am just curious if anyone can give me any info before then.

If I do need a new esc, can someone suggest a decent cheap one? I am looking to make this a runner, so I dont want to spend a ton on nice stuff that I might break.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Also, I am going to attempt my first paint job on an RC10 body... I am going to use black and silver... Anyone have some particularly snazzy 2-color paint schemes?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

did ya at least fiddle with the esc controls? thats what i would do.

imo since the tx trigger is messed up thats a good indication its most likely the tx.

sorry i cant give ya any better advice than that.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

No I havent yet... Ill give it a shot.

EDIT: Didnt do anything, Ill wait on a new tx.

b0x
Approved Member

Post by b0x »

Ok i picked up a surplus traxxas rx/tx and steering servo. Hooked everything up to the victor esc and it looks decent. However, it still doesnt stop. The wheels just coast down to a stop. It IS supposed to stop right? I know it has no reverse, but I assumed there would be some sort of braking.

I was just curious if anyone who has experience with the victor ESC has run into this issue, or if it is an issue at all. At this point I am just trying to narrow down the problem.

Also, the gears on the tranny and motor slip when I gun it. I know this is bad. They have very small teeth, maybe 64 pitch. It looks like they line up well, and spin straight, and I got the motor as close to the gear as I could. I couldnt imagine it running like this originally. I am guessing it would just be better to swap out the gears for some 32 pitch ones maybe, but I dont know enough about it to be sure.

Any input would be appreciated.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Tear a strip of paper about twice the width of your pinion. Pull the paper into the spur/pinion gears by turning the spur. Adjust gear mesh and pull out paper. You should be able to remove paper without tearing if gears are set up properly.

If I recall, the largest 64 pitch spur gear you can run inside the stock cover (if you choose to run with cover) is 112. You will need at least a 22 or 23 pinion to enable the gears to mesh properly with the stock motor mount. With this set up, you will have a final drive ratio between 9.1 and 9.6. Fast acceleration, lower top speed, longer run time.

Sorry, no help on the esc.