Any good screw sets other than the AE Factory Team set?

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

strangersinspace
Approved Member

Any good screw sets other than the AE Factory Team set?

Post by strangersinspace »

I'm starting my 2nd restoration - a TQ10 - and I pretty much need all new screws for it. I have seen this set (below), but I'm wondering if there may be a cheaper set elsewhere without the flashy blue anodize. The blue is cool, but I'd be willing to go with plain black for less $$$.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX3326&P=7

Thanks!

aconsola
Approved Member

Re: Any good screw sets other than the AE Factory Team set?

Post by aconsola »

I usually buy screws in bulk from one of the online industrial places like mcmaster.com or mscdirect.com
It is a bit of an expense up front, but they sell boxes of 100 of just about any 4-40 screw you could need for signifigantly less than you will pay for any "RC" packaged stuff.
They also have lots of other small parts and hardware that is useful for rebuilding.

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Post by lowrydesign »

what about a purple screw set from trinity?? its discontinued but they do pop up once and a while

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220342713189#ebayphotohosting

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Tower also sells the standard gold 8/32 screw kits, but you have to search in a weird way for them to come up (or I did anyway). But I'm pretty sure the TQ would use the silver 8/32 kit
similar to the edinger cars

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

These guys have good prices. They also sell aluminum screws that can be hard to find.

I know it may not be an OE resto, but I usually replace all the steel screws in my buggies with stainless. Keeps the white nylon from staining.

http://www.fastener-express.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=280

strangersinspace
Approved Member

Post by strangersinspace »

Good links, thanks. I also found this on tower:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVP74&P=7

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

There's a company called rc screws that had alum and ti screws in just about every color you could imagine. Cool extra was they ship the screws in plastic trays with walls to separate the different types of screws.

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

like said above check out mcmaster for the price youll pay for a set you can have 3-5x of what you need im talking 100 of 1 size for 4-7 bucks and i useally just buy the longer ones since they are normally cheaper and cut them down. they come in black stainless,silver stainless,etc and they are stronger then most. also on the flat ones for counter sunk holes they use a bigger hex driver aka no more stripped heads
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

http://www.fastener-express.com/

they have all the colored aluminum screws you want, Ti if you like, or regular old black oxide.

Fiero GT, You should check them out, about half the price of mcmaster carr
Example 4-40 x 3/8 flat head cap screw (common size for most things mounted on the pan)
mcmaster = 9.92 per 100
fastener express = 4.46 per 100

And I'm not sure where you got the idea that the stuff from mcmaster has a larger hex? I didn't remember that so I looked on the site and both BHCS and FHCS are both 1/16" hex which is standard to everything I've ever seen on an associated, and the same goes for SHCS which are 3/32" hex?

87fierogt
Approved Member

Post by 87fierogt »

ill have to go over my stuff but i know for a fact the flat head screws i have for my gt2 has a larger hex head then the old chassis screws that always strip i could have converted to metric its been awhile. i useally go for the longer cheaper stainless ones as the shorter ones useally are a little more in demand and pricey i prefer having long ones so if i need em long i have em and if i need them short i bust out the dremel but i do keep the common short size incase i am doing a build where i am in a rush for a customer. thanks for showing me the other site the only reason i really prefer mcmaster over others is my dads bussiness has an account with them so if i need something i leave the number the night before since if they order by 11 they have it the same day and i just pay at the end of the month when they get their bill. although when i build another factory team gt2(i sold mine to start my company) i will go titanium and im not going to pay 5-12 a screw
speed r/c taking car of all your rebuilds/restore/used and new custom builds/and anything in between pm me for quotes and`pics of previous builds

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

87fierogt wrote:ill have to go over my stuff but i know for a fact the flat head screws i have for my gt2 has a larger hex head then the old chassis screws that always strip
Those are 5-40 screws...same hex size as the diff bolt, 2mm or 5/64".

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

Erich Reichert wrote:There's a company called rc screws that had alum and ti screws in just about every color you could imagine. Cool extra was they ship the screws in plastic trays with walls to separate the different types of screws.
i use rc screw kits on alot of stuff, but for the rc10 they give ya screws that either have the wrong countersink angle or are too wide. cant give the specifics since never went thru the bother of investigating the reason they didnt sit flush with the chassis like they should have.

i get most everything hardware/material from http://www.mcmaster.com. they rock.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

badhoopty wrote:
i use rc screw kits on alot of stuff, but for the rc10 they give ya screws that either have the wrong countersink angle or are too wide. cant give the specifics since never went thru the bother of investigating the reason they didnt sit flush with the chassis like they should have.

i get most everything hardware/material from http://www.mcmaster.com. they rock.

Hoop, I'm tellin' ya,, fastener express,, save a bunch of money over mcmaster, I used to get everthing from them til I found fastener express!

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i didnt read thru the posts... just up to erichs.

i'll give them a try next time im needing some screws.

one of the things i like about mcmaster is they ship to me FAST and its pretty easy to find what you need once you learn how to search their site. quite a bit of good info in how they describe things too, which in itself is an awesome reference tool.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

badhoopty wrote:i didnt read thru the posts... just up to erichs.

i'll give them a try next time im needing some screws.

one of the things i like about mcmaster is they ship to me FAST and its pretty easy to find what you need once you learn how to search their site. quite a bit of good info in how they describe things too, which in itself is an awesome reference tool.

that is true about mcmaster carr as a reference, I usually refer to their printed catalog as "my yellow bible" and yes again on fast shipping, In Ca. they use a company called California Overnight, I can order at 6 pm and have it the next day usually by about 2 pm and they are about 600 miles away from me.